Posted to alt.home.repair
AI AI is offline

Default Garage Door Maintenance Questions

My garage door isn't as smooth and quiet as it used to be. Not that
it was that quiet in the first place. It uses the chain mechnism,
instead of one of those bolt setup.

But now, I often find it to jerky and harsh when I open or close it.
There is a sticker on the door left on it by the company which
installed it and says to call every year for its annual service.

But was wondering if any of you happen to know what the typical garage
door maintenance involves and would like to see if I can do them
myself? This is what I have,
http://www.garagehowto.com/overhead-door-python-2.html

Any input, suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated on
this. Thanks for your time and courtesy.
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Feb 20, 3:29*pm, AI wrote:
My garage door isn't as smooth and quiet as it used to be. *Not that
it was that quiet in the first place. *It uses the chain mechnism,
instead of one of those bolt setup.

But now, I often find it to jerky and harsh when I open or close it.
There is a sticker on the door left on it by the company which
installed it and says to call every year for its annual service.

But was wondering if any of you happen to know what the typical garage
door maintenance involves and would like to see if I can do them
myself? *This is what I have,http://www.garagehowto.com/overhead-door-python-2.html

Any input, suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated on
this. *Thanks for your time and courtes

On a yearly basis, I spray Garage Door Lubricant (which can be bought
at most Home Improvement stores) on the outer rails where the roller
slides. I also spray the chain mechanism track. I check the actual
door panels to make sure all bolts are tight. That's it for
maintenance, except replacing the light bulbs when they burn out. I
don't what else a repair company will do if it's working and just
squeaking a little.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 5:39*pm, rlz wrote:
On Feb 20, 3:29*pm, AI wrote:

[...]

Thats about all I do also, A couple of years ago I did replace the
rollers with ones with nylon wheels. Super quiet now.
Check alignment of the tracks. I think wife bumped mine a couple of
years ago and knocked it ut a hair

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 4:29*pm, AI wrote:
My garage door isn't as smooth and quiet as it used to be. *Not that
it was that quiet in the first place. *It uses the chain mechnism,
instead of one of those bolt setup.

But now, I often find it to jerky and harsh when I open or close it.
There is a sticker on the door left on it by the company which
installed it and says to call every year for its annual service.

But was wondering if any of you happen to know what the typical garage
door maintenance involves and would like to see if I can do them
myself? *This is what I have,http://www.garagehowto.com/overhead-door-python-2.html

Any input, suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated on
this. *Thanks for your time and courtesy.

The door should move up and down with equal force without the opener
attached, there is a quick release at the door, pull the rope and
release it and see if door binds by moving it by hand, if springs dont
pull evenly it might need pro adjustment, I oil and get someone out
when it breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote:
On Feb 20, 3:29 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hi,
If it is jerky, etc. try to open/close manually to feel it.
And wet the springs with motor oil soaked rag. Check and make sure
cables are in good shape as well. I use Teflon spray lubricant very
lighly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:41*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
rlz wrote:
On Feb 20, 3:29 pm, *wrote:
[...]

lighly.- Hide quoted text -

All posters gave correct advice, follow them and you should be in
great shape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I do some of the things, with lithium grease, but I NEVER
lubricate the rails. I fopund before that it encourages the
accumulation of debris on the inner rail trace.

On Feb 20, 9:58*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

All posters gave correct advice, follow them and you should be in
great shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2010 3:29 PM, AI wrote:
My garage door isn't as smooth and quiet as it used to be. Not that
it was that quiet in the first place. It uses the chain mechnism,
instead of one of those bolt setup.

But now, I often find it to jerky and harsh when I open or close it.
There is a sticker on the door left on it by the company which
installed it and says to call every year for its annual service.

Is the door properly balanced? Disconnect it from the opener and pull it
so that the bottom edge is halfway up. Let go. If the door stays there,
it's properly balanaced. If not, the springs are out of adjustment. This
you'll have to call in for service.

Posted to alt.home.repair
AI AI is offline

Default Garage Door Maintenance Questions -= Thanks for all your great replies. Much appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:29:16 -0700, AI wrote:

My garage door isn't as smooth and quiet as it used to be. Not that
it was that quiet in the first place. It uses the chain mechnism,
instead of one of those bolt setup.

But now, I often find it to jerky and harsh when I open or close it.
There is a sticker on the door left on it by the company which
installed it and says to call every year for its annual service.

But was wondering if any of you happen to know what the typical garage
door maintenance involves and would like to see if I can do them
myself? This is what I have,
http://www.garagehowto.com/overhead-door-python-2.html

Any input, suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated on
this. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

There is a list of garage door maintenance. It includes cleaning,
lubricating, testing, checking/tightening of all bolts and fasteners.
A tueup will reduce the clatter noise, maintain safety, improve
operation and extend the life of your door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael B wrote:
I do some of the things, with lithium grease, but I NEVER
lubricate the rails. I fopund before that it encourages the
accumulation of debris on the inner rail trace.

I was thinking the same thing, especially if the rollers are nylon. The
rollers are made to roll, the track isn't made to slide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

But the rollers usually have bearings, in which a light oil is useful to
keep free movement.

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.