Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tipping Gutter Downspout?

Does anybody know what the correct term/name is
for this gadget and where I can buy a "tipping gutter
downspout"?

I remember seeing this device once years back at
a hardware store but I've been unable to look it up
on-line.

It's a plastic device that slips on the bottom of the
downspout and remains up and flush against the
downspout when it's not raining but once water
begins to flow down, it tips down horizontally and
allows the water to drain away from the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 9:48*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Feb 17, 10:05*am, Ed Stasiak wrote:

Does anybody know what the correct term/name is
for this gadget and where I can buy a "tipping gutter
downspout"?

I remember seeing this device once years back at
a hardware store but I've been unable to look it up
on-line.

It's a plastic device that slips on the bottom of the
downspout and remains up and flush against the
downspout when it's not raining but once water
begins to flow down, it tips down horizontally and
allows the water to drain away from the house.

I've only ever seen the kind that unroll 'automatically'

No experience with them just wouldn't use them.

http://www.rainguardusa.com/downspou...4-foot-white-p...

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...448-downspout-...

I have seen them a few years ago, but suspect that anything of any
size, even growing grass, could upset the balance that makes them
swing down when there is water, and that maybe why noone carries them
anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 07:05:53 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak
wrote:

Does anybody know what the correct term/name is
for this gadget and where I can buy a "tipping gutter
downspout"?

I remember seeing this device once years back at
a hardware store but I've been unable to look it up
on-line.

It's a plastic device that slips on the bottom of the
downspout and remains up and flush against the
downspout when it's not raining but once water
begins to flow down, it tips down horizontally and
allows the water to drain away from the house.

Believe me you really don't need that. Bury some corregated black
pipe, bury it, and carry the water 10 feet (more is better) away from
your foundation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anybody know what the correct term/name is
for this gadget and where I can buy a "tipping gutter
downspout"?

I remember seeing this device once years back at
a hardware store but I've been unable to look it up
on-line.

It's a plastic device that slips on the bottom of the
downspout and remains up and flush against the
downspout when it's not raining but once water
begins to flow down, it tips down horizontally and
allows the water to drain away from the house.

Believe me you really don't need that. *Bury some corregated black
pipe, bury it, and carry the water 10 feet (more is better) away from
your foundation. *

That's fine if you have some dirt. *Sometimes the down spout is at a
driveway. *Or at a walkway where you can't have some long pipe laying
across waiting to trip people.

There is something similar to what the OP wants:http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...out-downspout-
extension.do

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ykgkzz8

R.- Hide quoted text -

Dig a little ditch away from bottom of the downspout and fill it with
a bit of gravel. Or fancier, line the small depression with something
to direct the water away from the house. Personally we just have wide
roof overhangs that drip the water some two feet away for the house
all the way round. We hate gutters and down spouts; good place for rot
and accumulation of rubbish!
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertPatrick
Phisherman

Bury some corregated black pipe, bury it, and carry
the water 10 feet (more is better) away from your
foundation.

That's fine if you have some dirt. Sometimes the down
spout is at a driveway.

Yeah, that's exactly my situation.

The downspout discharges onto the driveway right next
to the front porch, so burying a pipe is out of the question
but running a section of flexible downspout across the
driveway is also unacceptable.

But I don't want rainwater possibly getting between the
driveway and the foundation of the house, causing
potential problems in the future.

And there is the immediate problem of snow melt running
down onto the driveway, then freezing and creating an
ice rink where the mailman or someone might fall and
bust their ass, then sue my ass.

Thus I'm always careful about putting down some salt
to keep it ice free but while salt is cheep, it's not good
for the cement.

I was contemplating sawing two notches into the back
side of the precast concrete step that goes up to the
front porch and sliding a section of plastic downspout
(more resistant to denting) thru the notches so that the
rainwater would end up on the lawn.

Would this be a practical solution, using a 7" electric
circular hand saw with a masonry cutting blade, such
as this?;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XCETS/...N=B0009 XCETS

http://tinyurl.com/y8obrdy