Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC Coolant Lines and Electric Cables in Gutter Downspout?

A guy who owns a local home inspection business also answers home
improvement questions in our Saturday paper. While describing how to
add an AC system in the attic he wrote:

"Coolant lines and electrical cables to the second or third floors can
often be concealed in sections of gutter downspout material that is
attached to the side of the house."

Anybody ever heard of this? Does the NEC allow allow it?

And, yes, I know he doesn't mean the same downspouts as the ones
attached to the gutters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
A guy who owns a local home inspection business also answers home
improvement questions in our Saturday paper. While describing how to
add an AC system in the attic he wrote:

"Coolant lines and electrical cables to the second or third floors can
often be concealed in sections of gutter downspout material that is
attached to the side of the house."

Anybody ever heard of this? Does the NEC allow allow it?

And, yes, I know he doesn't mean the same downspouts as the ones
attached to the gutters.

As long as the electrical wiring is in approved conduit, FIRST.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 10:10 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
A guy who owns a local home inspection business also answers home
improvement questions in our Saturday paper. While describing how to
add an AC system in the attic he wrote:

"Coolant lines and electrical cables to the second or third floors can
often be concealed in sections of gutter downspout material that is
attached to the side of the house."

Anybody ever heard of this? Does the NEC allow allow it?

And, yes, I know he doesn't mean the same downspouts as the ones
attached to the gutters.

We do it all the time. Just make sure the wiring is
rated for outdoor use. UF and SEU cable for instance.
The HVAC supply houses sell a plastic duct system
that is used primarily for mini-split AC units. It could
be used also.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/1/2007 11:10 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:
A guy who owns a local home inspection business also answers home
improvement questions in our Saturday paper. While describing how to
add an AC system in the attic he wrote:

"Coolant lines and electrical cables to the second or third floors can
often be concealed in sections of gutter downspout material that is
attached to the side of the house."

Anybody ever heard of this? Does the NEC allow allow it?

And, yes, I know he doesn't mean the same downspouts as the ones
attached to the gutters.

It's done all the time around here. A piece of white 'plastic' downspout
running from the AC unit on the ground straight up the siding to the
attic where they enter the wall.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
A guy who owns a local home inspection business also answers home
improvement questions in our Saturday paper. While describing how to
add an AC system in the attic he wrote:

"Coolant lines and electrical cables to the second or third floors can
often be concealed in sections of gutter downspout material that is
attached to the side of the house."

Anybody ever heard of this? Does the NEC allow allow it?

And, yes, I know he doesn't mean the same downspouts as the ones
attached to the gutters.

They are frequently used here in New Jersey. However it is only for
cosmetic purposes. The electrical cable or conduit and fittings are all
approved for outdoor use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 7:16 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

ups.com...

A guy who owns a local home inspection business also answers home
improvement questions in our Saturday paper. While describing how to
add an AC system in the attic he wrote:

"Coolant lines and electrical cables to the second or third floors can
often be concealed in sections of gutter downspout material that is
attached to the side of the house."

Anybody ever heard of this? Does the NEC allow allow it?

And, yes, I know he doesn't mean the same downspouts as the ones
attached to the gutters.

They are frequently used here in New Jersey. However it is only for
cosmetic purposes. The electrical cable or conduit and fittings are all
approved for outdoor use.

Thanks to all. I had never heard of it and was just curious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/3/2007 2:57 PM said the following:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:25:46 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sep 2, 7:16 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

ups.com...

A guy who owns a local home inspection business also answers home
improvement questions in our Saturday paper. While describing how to
add an AC system in the attic he wrote:

"Coolant lines and electrical cables to the second or third floors can
often be concealed in sections of gutter downspout material that is
attached to the side of the house."

Anybody ever heard of this? Does the NEC allow allow it?

And, yes, I know he doesn't mean the same downspouts as the ones
attached to the gutters.

They are frequently used here in New Jersey. However it is only for
cosmetic purposes. The electrical cable or conduit and fittings are all
approved for outdoor use.

Thanks to all. I had never heard of it and was just curious.

Usually we just get an aluminum "line set cover" that screws to the
side of the house. The advantage is you don't have to thread the line
set down a drain pipe and it is more securely fastened yet easy to
access if you need to.

The guy that installed my AC, used a plastic downspout which he sliced
down the back with a circular saw and then spread it over the tubes and
secured it with downspout clamps, so there was no need to thread the
tubes through it..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY