Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Glue for backsplash?

Hello, I have made an arbrite countertop and have made a seperate 4 inch
high backsplash for the back of the countertop. I need to glue it to the
kitchen wall... The wall is primed and newly painted drywall ...Basically I
am glueing 3/4 inch plywood to the wall as that is what I made the
backsplash out of... I'm wondering what type of glue to use. I have a tube
of Polyurethane construction adhesive and thinking I may use
that...Thoughts?... Thank you... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello, I have made an arbrite countertop and have made a seperate 4 inch
high backsplash for the back of the countertop. I need to glue it to the
kitchen wall... The wall is primed and newly painted drywall ...Basically I
am glueing 3/4 inch plywood to the wall as that is what I made the
backsplash out of... I'm wondering what type of glue to use. I have a tube
of Polyurethane construction adhesive and thinking I may use
that...Thoughts?... Thank you... Jim

Don't use adhesive. Use these:
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/BSC-...without-screws
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 7:17*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
* *Hello, I have made an arbrite countertop and have made a seperate 4 inch
high backsplash for the back of the countertop. I need to glue it to the
kitchen wall... The wall is primed and newly painted drywall ...Basically I
am glueing 3/4 inch plywood to the wall as that is what I made the
backsplash out of... I'm wondering what type of glue to use. I have a tube
of Polyurethane construction adhesive and thinking I may use
that...Thoughts?... Thank you... Jim

Don't use adhesive. Use these:http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/BSC-...without-screws

Doug have you ever used these?

A few problems that might arise

1 Looks like a lot of material needs to be removed leaving little
support for the laminate at the bottom of the backsplash. I suppose
this could be addressed by only routing out where the clips are.

2 Even with the spacing bar it would probably be difficult to get the
spacing just right on a long run. Last one I installed was 9' long.

3 How do you get the top of the backsplash tight to the wall?

Jim I use the appropriate Liquid Nails and wedge boards between the
backsplash and a 2x4 clamped to the counter. Before installing the
backsplash I spread silicone caulk along the bottom to keep the water
out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Limp Arbor wrote:
On Feb 17, 7:17=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Jim" nosp=

am@wherever wrote:
Hello, I have made an arbrite countertop and have made a seperate 4 inch
high backsplash for the back of the countertop. I need to glue it to the
kitchen wall... The wall is primed and newly painted drywall ...Basically I
am glueing 3/4 inch plywood to the wall as that is what I made the
backsplash out of... I'm wondering what type of glue to use. I have a tube
of Polyurethane construction adhesive and thinking I may use
that...Thoughts?... Thank you... Jim

Don't use adhesive. Use these:http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/BSC-0200/Sm

art-Clip-without-screws

Doug have you ever used these?

Many times. They're great.

A few problems that might arise

1 Looks like a lot of material needs to be removed leaving little
support for the laminate at the bottom of the backsplash.

It's not like it *needs* a lot of support; in any event, the depth removed is
something like 5/16".

I suppose
this could be addressed by only routing out where the clips are.

No, you want to leave as little material as possible, actually -- that way, if
any water does get between the backsplash and the countertop, there isn't
anything there for it it swell up or rot.

2 Even with the spacing bar it would probably be difficult to get the
spacing just right on a long run. Last one I installed was 9' long.

I haven't found that to be a problem. Just measure and mark carefully, and it
goes together slicker than snot.

3 How do you get the top of the backsplash tight to the wall?

Adjust the position of the clips so that they follow the wall, not the
countertop. If the wall isn't perfectly straight, the backsplash will conform
to the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 2:01*pm, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:03:42 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
* *Hello, I have made an arbrite countertop and have made a seperate 4 inch
high backsplash for the back of the countertop. I need to glue it to the
kitchen wall... The wall is primed and newly painted drywall ...Basically I
am glueing 3/4 inch plywood to the wall as that is what I made the
backsplash out of... I'm wondering what type of glue to use. I have a tube
of Polyurethane construction adhesive and thinking I may use
that...Thoughts?... Thank you... Jim

Go for it. Being sparingly on the adhesive, i.e, use "dabs" along the
back edge quarter/half dollar size. 3-5 dabs? Mirrors are install on
drywall similarly.

Caulk edges after install. If you ever need to remove it, cut the
caulk and pry the splash off. Damage would be paper tearing off the
paper of the drywall.

What he said!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

..Basically I am glueing 3/4 inch plywood to the wall as that is what I
made the
backsplash out of... I'm wondering what type of glue to use.

How about contact cement