Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore washer mystery - solved

What is the real purpose of the plastic chamber in the
drain line of my m/n711.4803g Kenmore washer?

lp1331 responded that it's a lint filter. Today I found the
manual with parts list and exploded views. Mystery part is
360367 "Filter, assembly". Right on, lp1331! Thanks.

Said filter NEVER plugged up during 35+ years of service.
Now it starts plugging after 2-3 loads. Maybe the chamber
surfaces have gotten roughened up or calcium deposits from
long use. Or maybe I'm shedding more these days!

I'm just going to replace the filter with a piece of plastic
tubing. Retaining lint in the chamber and then flushing it
out later seems kinda silly.

Oh, by the way, it's Tawny Gold rather than Harvest Gold.
My bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bryce wrote:
What is the real purpose of the plastic chamber in the
drain line of my m/n711.4803g Kenmore washer?

lp1331 responded that it's a lint filter. Today I found the
manual with parts list and exploded views. Mystery part is
360367 "Filter, assembly". Right on, lp1331! Thanks.

Said filter NEVER plugged up during 35+ years of service.
Now it starts plugging after 2-3 loads. Maybe the chamber
surfaces have gotten roughened up or calcium deposits from
long use. Or maybe I'm shedding more these days!

I'm just going to replace the filter with a piece of plastic
tubing. Retaining lint in the chamber and then flushing it
out later seems kinda silly.

Oh, by the way, it's Tawny Gold rather than Harvest Gold.
My bad.

I can't imagine any washer clogging with lint every 2-3 loads. Any
chance there is something, like a button that partially obstructs the
mechanism and/or moves around?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Bryce wrote:

Said filter NEVER plugged up during 35+ years of service.
Now it starts plugging after 2-3 loads. Maybe the
chamber surfaces have gotten roughened up or calcium
deposits from
long use. Or maybe I'm shedding more these days!

I wonder if you changed detergents or the formula for your
favorite detergent changed into something that would cause
the filter to clog?

TDD

Same brand. My mass spectrometer is out for repair, so I
dunno if those rascals changed recipe. Probably added
melamine, cadmium, lead, etc. These are all clog-worthy.

I just got through dragging washer away from the wall and
removing the filter. It's crudded up for the last time.
Tomorrow I'll get some tubing at HD to bypass the filter.
From now on, lint will hopefully just get flushed through.

Kenmore made another model similar to mine, but with a "suds
saver" that stores soapy water in laundry tub and sucks it
back for re-use in the next load. Same filter, different
hose arrangement. Without suds-saver (my washer), water
always flows in same direction through the filter. Filter
doesn't seem necessary and certainly is a pain right now.

The suds saver seems kinda grim. Who'd want to wash clothes
in gray water? Is this why appliance repairmen wear gray
uniforms?

Next month brings an appliance rebate program from Congress.
Time to bid adios to Tawny Gold and prepare myself for
microprocessor error messages. I'll miss the old gal.

Kenmore washer mystery Bryce[_2_] Home Repair 5 February 6th 10 05:17 PM
Not Enough Gas - mystery solved! Pete Verdon UK diy 0 February 20th 08 12:11 AM
Kenmore washer 1D10T Home Repair 3 April 27th 07 06:19 PM
Dishmaster mystery solved! Salmon Egg Home Repair 0 December 20th 05 06:07 AM
Kenmore washer again and again... Jason Home Repair 1 August 17th 05 03:33 PM