Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryce[_2_] Bryce[_2_] is offline

Default Kenmore washer mystery - solved

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Bryce wrote:

Said filter NEVER plugged up during 35+ years of service.
Now it starts plugging after 2-3 loads. Maybe the
chamber surfaces have gotten roughened up or calcium
deposits from
long use. Or maybe I'm shedding more these days!

I wonder if you changed detergents or the formula for your
favorite detergent changed into something that would cause
the filter to clog?

TDD

Same brand. My mass spectrometer is out for repair, so I
dunno if those rascals changed recipe. Probably added
melamine, cadmium, lead, etc. These are all clog-worthy.

I just got through dragging washer away from the wall and
removing the filter. It's crudded up for the last time.
Tomorrow I'll get some tubing at HD to bypass the filter.
From now on, lint will hopefully just get flushed through.

Kenmore made another model similar to mine, but with a "suds
saver" that stores soapy water in laundry tub and sucks it
back for re-use in the next load. Same filter, different
hose arrangement. Without suds-saver (my washer), water
always flows in same direction through the filter. Filter
doesn't seem necessary and certainly is a pain right now.

The suds saver seems kinda grim. Who'd want to wash clothes
in gray water? Is this why appliance repairmen wear gray
uniforms?

Next month brings an appliance rebate program from Congress.
Time to bid adios to Tawny Gold and prepare myself for
microprocessor error messages. I'll miss the old gal.