Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore washer

My ancient washer has a problem. Except for this, it works fine. When it
goes into spin cycle, the tub spins, but it won't pump the water out. When I
first looked at it I found the belt a little slack, so I tightened it
properly. Is it the wig-wag's job to engage the pump? Could the timer be
faulty, not triggering the wig-wag? I have some long-ago experience in a
furniture store doing appliance repairs, but this one escapes me. Any help
will be gratefully appreciated.
TIA
--
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Easy's gettin' harder everyday

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message
news

My ancient washer has a problem. Except for this, it works fine. When it
goes into spin cycle, the tub spins, but it won't pump the water out. When
I first looked at it I found the belt a little slack, so I tightened it
properly. Is it the wig-wag's job to engage the pump? Could the timer be
faulty, not triggering the wig-wag? I have some long-ago experience in a
furniture store doing appliance repairs, but this one escapes me. Any help
will be gratefully appreciated.
TIA
--
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Easy's gettin' harder everyday

I don't believe the wig-wag triggers the pump, I'm guessing that is in the
timer? You'll need a multitester to diagnose as it could be the pump itself
as well, correct? Most of the older appliances I've worked on actually had
the schematic stuck inside the unit somewhere, typically the face plate
where the timer and other controls are. Before you bother with that though
make sure the drain line isn't plugged or there isn't a sock stuck in the
pump, although if it drains after the wash cycle and just not during the
spin I'd go back to the timer again. If you have the schematic you'll be
able to follow any components from pump to power.

More info & help he

www.repairclinc.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:50:23 -0500, "1D10T"
wrote:

My ancient washer has a problem. Except for this, it works fine. When it
goes into spin cycle, the tub spins, but it won't pump the water out. When I
first looked at it I found the belt a little slack, so I tightened it
properly. Is it the wig-wag's job to engage the pump? Could the timer be
faulty, not triggering the wig-wag? I have some long-ago experience in a
furniture store doing appliance repairs, but this one escapes me. Any help
will be gratefully appreciated.
TIA

I once had a similar problem 20 years ago. My Kenmore is 30 years old
and chugging along merrily. The problem was caused by lint trapped in
the discharge vanes of the water pump. I don't know how to describe
it but it is a large horn shaped translucent plastic assembly that you
will have to dismantle from under the washer's cabinet. When you find
the lint collection be very careful to remove as much as you can with
a metal wire hook and then flush the remainder out in the reverse
direction. That is away from the discharge duct. I tried to flush
mine out by forcing water into the direction of the discharge duct and
the lint jammed inside the vanes for good. The water pump is a sealed
unit for mechanical strength and not repairable. I had to buy a
replacement ($40 then). This is a generic part across several models
of washers. The washer has been running without trouble since - that
is except for the hot water supply. There seems to be very quick lime
buildup that blocks the supply of hot water at the hose connection
where there is a wire screen filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the help guys! I found the problem to be a seized pump.

Kenmore washer again and again... Jason Home Repair 1 August 17th 05 03:33 PM
Kenmore Washer leaks ooha Home Repair 6 July 8th 04 11:34 AM
Kenmore washer clicking Frank S. Kim Home Repair 1 May 11th 04 12:31 AM
Kenmore washer mark Ransley Home Repair 7 October 28th 03 11:06 PM
kenmore washer Rich Home Repair 1 July 6th 03 04:59 PM