Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

Default height requirements for outlets in garages

I am finishing my garage and rerunning my electrical outlets because
most of them were run and just nailed to the side of the top plates of
the walls. I'm assuming that a previouus owner installed them after
the garage was built. Unfortunately in order to put up drywall, I
need to have them ran above the top plates instead. Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be. My other question is regarding the fact that my
gargage floor is approx. 10" below my perimeter wall footings. The
exterior walls sit on the footing, so is the height requirement
distance based on how high above the floor, or the bottom of the wall,
which is 10" above the floor?

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rlz" wrote in message
I am finishing my garage and rerunning my electrical outlets because
most of them were run and just nailed to the side of the top plates of
the walls. I'm assuming that a previouus owner installed them after
the garage was built. Unfortunately in order to put up drywall, I
need to have them ran above the top plates instead. Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be. My other question is regarding the fact that my
gargage floor is approx. 10" below my perimeter wall footings. The
exterior walls sit on the footing, so is the height requirement
distance based on how high above the floor, or the bottom of the wall,
which is 10" above the floor?

Rob

Put them at any height you wish. Garage outlets need GFCI protection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote in news:1e2bd365-a6cc-4470-af6a-f062dc687e50
@t17g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

I am finishing my garage and rerunning my electrical outlets because
most of them were run and just nailed to the side of the top plates of
the walls. I'm assuming that a previouus owner installed them after
the garage was built. Unfortunately in order to put up drywall, I
need to have them ran above the top plates instead. Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be. My other question is regarding the fact that my
gargage floor is approx. 10" below my perimeter wall footings. The
exterior walls sit on the footing, so is the height requirement
distance based on how high above the floor, or the bottom of the wall,
which is 10" above the floor?

Rob

Call your LOCAL inspections department. I installed some in a garage once
long ago and was told they had to be a min xx" off the floor for multiple
reasons. One of them was garages often have flamables stored and that
some vapors tended to collect at floorlevel. Sparks from plugs could
cause a fire in rare cases. Guess you could get a lot of vapor from a
leaky gas tank, spilled gas fueling yard machines, mixing gas, mowers,
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote:
I am finishing my garage and rerunning my electrical outlets because
most of them were run and just nailed to the side of the top plates of
the walls. I'm assuming that a previouus owner installed them after
the garage was built. Unfortunately in order to put up drywall, I
need to have them ran above the top plates instead. Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be. My other question is regarding the fact that my
gargage floor is approx. 10" below my perimeter wall footings. The
exterior walls sit on the footing, so is the height requirement
distance based on how high above the floor, or the bottom of the wall,
which is 10" above the floor?

Don't forget one in the ceiling - next to the light - for the door opener.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rlz" wrote in message news:1e2bd365-a6cc-4470-af6a-
Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be.

I'd be less concerned about the minimum and more concerned about the use.
If the garage is going to be more of a shop, you want the outlets to be
about 48" so they are above any work benches or tables.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:08:24 -0800 (PST), rlz
wrote:

I am finishing my garage and rerunning my electrical outlets because
most of them were run and just nailed to the side of the top plates of
the walls. I'm assuming that a previouus owner installed them after
the garage was built. Unfortunately in order to put up drywall, I
need to have them ran above the top plates instead. Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be. My other question is regarding the fact that my
gargage floor is approx. 10" below my perimeter wall footings. The
exterior walls sit on the footing, so is the height requirement
distance based on how high above the floor, or the bottom of the wall,
which is 10" above the floor?

Rob

There is no specific height. Put them where ever it is convenient.
There are codes where NOT to put them. I have some on the ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Check with you local building code person just to make sure of the
minimum. As someone else said. above workbench height is very useful
if you put in a workbench.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"I am finishing my garage and rerunning my electrical outlets because
most of them were run and just nailed to the side of the top plates of
the walls. I'm assuming that a previouus owner installed them after
the garage was built. Unfortunately in order to put up drywall, I
need to have them ran above the top plates instead. Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be. My other question is regarding the fact that my
gargage floor is approx. 10" below my perimeter wall footings. The
exterior walls sit on the footing, so is the height requirement
distance based on how high above the floor, or the bottom of the wall,
which is 10" above the floor?

*There is no height requirement in the National Electrical Code for
residential garages. Your area may have their own code requirements. I
usually put them around 4' for convenience and because gasoline vapors stay
low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 10:30*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"rlz" wrote in message news:1e2bd365-a6cc-4470-af6a-
*Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. *I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be.

I'd be less concerned about the minimum and more concerned about the use.
If the garage is going to be more of a shop, you want the outlets to be
about 48" so they are above any work benches or tables.

You might want to consider 2 circuits, one for lthe lights and another
for the receptacles.

Similar to shop wiring, you don't want a power tool taking out your
lights when it trips the breaker, especially since you should have
GFCI protection in the garage. A minor nuisance trip becomes a major
nuisance when you're suddenly plunged into darkness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 11:07*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 15, 10:30*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"rlz" wrote in message news:1e2bd365-a6cc-4470-af6a-
*Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. *I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be.

I'd be less concerned about the minimum and more concerned about the use.
If the garage is going to be more of a shop, you want the outlets to be
about 48" so they are above any work benches or tables.

You might want to consider 2 circuits, one for lthe lights and another
for the receptacles.

Similar to shop wiring, you don't want a power tool taking out your
lights when it trips the breaker, especially since you should have
GFCI protection in the garage. A minor nuisance trip becomes a major
nuisance when you're suddenly plunged into darkness.

Yup. Relative added new a new run of 115/230 volt outlets in his
garage. Placing them above work bench height. Original outlets
(previous owners) are in useless locations and tend to be behind all
the normal things one has in a garage in addition to two vehicles! He
has separate breakers and a separate welder outlet.

If I ever re-wire our basement work shop, in addition to outlets at
the wok benches themseleves, intend to put other wall outlets at mid
wall height. Lights are separate circuits in all cases.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

When I built my house with attached garage, I was required to install them
48" above the floor, which is a good working height for tools and above
items stored on the floor around the walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 15, 8:08*pm, rlz wrote:
I am finishing my garage and rerunning my electrical outlets because
most of them were run and just nailed to the side of the top plates of
the walls. I'm assuming that a previouus owner installed them after
the garage was built. * Unfortunately in order to put up drywall, I
need to have them ran above the top plates instead. *Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. *I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be. My other question is regarding the fact that my
gargage floor is approx. 10" below my perimeter wall footings. *The
exterior walls sit on the footing, so is the height requirement
distance based on how high above the floor, or the bottom of the wall,
which is 10" above the floor?

Rob

My preference is 49" to the bottom of the box. That way if I store a
4' wide sheet of plywood or whatever sideways to the wall the outlet
won't be blocked. I've done that because of the inconvenience the
first time it happened to me. Seems to look just fine as installed.
Using that height for switches worked out well to keep 2 year olds
from playing with them, too.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in
anews.com:

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

Every locale is different. It was like 30 years ago and I seem to recall
a lot less than that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:43:18 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

[...]

What Red is talking about is in a commercial garage the area from the
floor up to 18" is a class 1 division 2 hazardous location (flammable
vapors). To be exempt from the "explosion proof" rules you have to
have electrical equipment 12" above that. That means 30" above the
floor minimum.

Some local AHJs also extend that to a residential garage..

Nope, not what I was talking about. Just a plain garage attached to home.
Commercial has their rules as well. A lot more I suspect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"rlz" wrote in message
Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the
floor they should be.

I'd be less concerned about the minimum and more concerned about the
use. If the garage is going to be more of a shop, you want the outlets
to be about 48" so they are above any work benches or tables.

4ft certainly seems more practical all around. Always exceptions of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote:
I am finishing my garage and rerunning my electrical outlets because
most of them were run and just nailed to the side of the top plates of
the walls. I'm assuming that a previouus owner installed them after
the garage was built. Unfortunately in order to put up drywall, I
need to have them ran above the top plates instead. Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be. My other question is regarding the fact that my
gargage floor is approx. 10" below my perimeter wall footings. The
exterior walls sit on the footing, so is the height requirement
distance based on how high above the floor, or the bottom of the wall,
which is 10" above the floor?

Rob

Hi,
In mine, they are all at ~4 feet level from the floor on three walls.
At work bench, built-in vacuum for the house, compressor, sprinker,
freezer, etc. are plugged in. GDO outlet is right on the ceiling near
the opener.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in news:MWIen.41777$3W2.5427
@newsfe14.iad:

rlz wrote:
[...]

Gaa Damn Outlet? :-)

Height of Power Outlets and dual ccts ? ac1951 UK diy 8 October 28th 07 06:55 PM
End to End garages Furby UK diy 0 October 18th 07 06:53 PM
Height of kitchen counter outlets Mikepier Home Repair 5 September 29th 07 03:51 PM
Russian garages [email protected] Metalworking 13 August 13th 07 06:15 AM
Super Garages Too_Many_Tools Woodworking 2 July 29th 06 03:45 AM