Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default height requirements for outlets in garages

rlz wrote:
I am finishing my garage and rerunning my electrical outlets because
most of them were run and just nailed to the side of the top plates of
the walls. I'm assuming that a previouus owner installed them after
the garage was built. Unfortunately in order to put up drywall, I
need to have them ran above the top plates instead. Whoever installed
the outlet boxes put them at various heights around the garages. I'm
curious if there is a code height that dictates how high off the floor
they should be. My other question is regarding the fact that my
gargage floor is approx. 10" below my perimeter wall footings. The
exterior walls sit on the footing, so is the height requirement
distance based on how high above the floor, or the bottom of the wall,
which is 10" above the floor?

Rob

Hi,
In mine, they are all at ~4 feet level from the floor on three walls.
At work bench, built-in vacuum for the house, compressor, sprinker,
freezer, etc. are plugged in. GDO outlet is right on the ceiling near
the opener.