Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a Generator for a Sump Pump which type to get?

I would like to a Generator for my sump pump. The generators I am
looking at are 1000 watts. I also see some that are 1000 Watts are
brushless and some arent. Both say they put out 1000 Watts but have
different AMPs one is 8.5 amps and the other is 15 amps.
The sump pump I am using 120 V and says Circuit Requirements 15amps.
I guess that means I should go for the one that says 15amps?
Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 6:49*pm, volleybiggs wrote:
I would like to a Generator for my sump pump. The generators I am
looking at are 1000 watts. I also see some that are 1000 Watts are
brushless and some arent. Both say they put out 1000 Watts but have
different AMPs one is 8.5 amps and the other is 15 amps.
The sump pump I am using 120 V and says Circuit Requirements 15amps.
I guess that means I should go for the *one that says 15amps?
Thanks!

You want it incase the power goes out? If you have city water look at
www.basepump.com What does the pump use, read the plate on it, you
need to figure in surge startup needed, about 2x run power or more
Posted to alt.home.repair

The sump pump is for pumping out my basement to keep it from flooding.
So incase the power goes it it wont flood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Considered a manual bilge pump?

On Feb 14, 8:05*pm, volleybiggs wrote:
The sump pump is for pumping out my basement to keep it from flooding.
So incase the power goes it it wont flood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not when the water decides to come in when I am a sleep. We have not
lost power when we do happen to get flooding in the basement but
better safe than sorry. If we did lose power when it did flood we
would have swimming pool ha ha a

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 6:49*pm, volleybiggs wrote:
I would like to a Generator for my sump pump. The generators I am
looking at are 1000 watts. I also see some that are 1000 Watts are
brushless and some arent. Both say they put out 1000 Watts but have
different AMPs one is 8.5 amps and the other is 15 amps.
The sump pump I am using 120 V and says Circuit Requirements 15amps.
I guess that means I should go for the *one that says 15amps?
Thanks!

Do you have city water, then get a water powered pump, are you going
to be home when the power goes out to start the gen. Gas powered pumps
are also an option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"volleybiggs" wrote in message
I would like to a Generator for my sump pump. The generators I am
looking at are 1000 watts. I also see some that are 1000 Watts are
brushless and some arent. Both say they put out 1000 Watts but have
different AMPs one is 8.5 amps and the other is 15 amps.
The sump pump I am using 120 V and says Circuit Requirements 15amps.
I guess that means I should go for the one that says 15amps?
Thanks!

If you do not know the startup amperage of your pump, then 4000 watts to be
safe. See bottom of following...
http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/usage_chart.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 10:10*pm, "Bill" wrote:
"volleybiggs" *wrote in message
I would like to a Generator for my sump pump. The generators I am
looking at are 1000 watts. I also see some that are 1000 Watts are
brushless and some arent. Both say they put out 1000 Watts but have
different AMPs one is 8.5 amps and the other is 15 amps.
The sump pump I am using 120 V and says Circuit Requirements 15amps.
I guess that means I should go for the *one that says 15amps?
Thanks!

If you do not know the startup amperage of your pump, then 4000 watts to be
safe. See bottom of following...http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/usage_chart.html

Measure the actual current the sump pump uses. If it's no more than
12 amps, then the 15 amp gen should be fine. But if you're buying a
gen for longer outages, you might want to consider one that's large
enough to run some other critical loads too. As part of this, you'll
also need a battery backup to run the sump until someone can get there
to start up the generator. Having the battery backup will also give
you flexibility with the generator. The generator can be charging
the battery while the sump pump is running. This would allow you to
either turn off the generator periodically, or else disconnect the
sump pump and use the generator for other critical loads, eg
refrigerator. If you go that route, be sure to factor in the current
reqts of the charger.

Ransley's idea of the water powered pump is a viable one too. It
depends on if you have municipal water and what the cost of it is.
You'd need to calculate how much water you need to remove, how much
city water it takes to do that, and how much it could cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 14, 10:10 pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Good points, but water is a hell-of-a-lot cheaper than gasoline.

Probably the very cheapest way to go is an insurance policy to cover the
damage from a power outage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 9:33*am, wrote:
On Feb 14, 10:10*pm, "Bill" wrote:

[...]

I never saw a 15 amp pump, a 1/3hp use 2.1-3 amp, 1/2hp 3.5-5 amp. A
1/2 hp which is bigger than I have pumps at 6ft 50 gpm, 3000 gallons
an hour, he does need to figure in startup surge load but the idea of
a gen for only a mythical 15a pump isnt what I would do. A 15 amp pump
might pump 350,000 gallons a day, isnt that bigger than an olympic
pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A horse power is 748 watts, so a thousand watt
generator oughta do it. Of course, while you have
it running. You ought to plug in a lamp, and give
the refrigerator a turn on the generator every few
hours. Most 1,000 watt generators will do all
that. Just need to have plenty of gas and oil on
hand, and take turns what gets plugged in.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"volleybiggs" wrote in
message
I would like to a Generator for my sump pump. The
generators I am
looking at are 1000 watts. I also see some that
are 1000 Watts are
brushless and some arent. Both say they put out
1000 Watts but have
different AMPs one is 8.5 amps and the other is 15
amps.
The sump pump I am using 120 V and says Circuit
Requirements 15amps.
I guess that means I should go for the one that
says 15amps?
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 1:14*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
A horse power is 748 watts, so a thousand watt
generator oughta do it. Of course, while you have
it running. You ought to plug in a lamp, and give
the refrigerator a turn on the generator every few
hours. Most 1,000 watt generators will do all
that. Just need to have plenty of gas and oil on
hand, and take turns what gets plugged in.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"volleybiggs" wrote in
I would like to a Generator for my sump pump. The
generators I am
looking at are 1000 watts. I also see some that
are 1000 Watts are
brushless and some arent. Both say they put out
1000 Watts but have
different AMPs one is 8.5 amps and the other is 15
amps.
The sump pump I am using 120 V and says Circuit
Requirements 15amps.
I guess that means I should go for the *one that
says 15amps?
Thanks!

748 watts is not what a 1 hp sump conumes. If what you said on hp to
watts was relavent to a pump then how do you explain a 1/2hp Zoeller
pump consuming 5a, 600w. You cant use Hp to Watts. Even if you were
correct you make no calculation for reserve power to get the pump
started moving, called surge load, and for a pump starting a big head
of water 2.5 times might do it. Now who has a 1hp sump pump in their
basement?
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

I never saw a 15 amp pump, a 1/3hp use 2.1-3 amp, 1/2hp 3.5-5 amp. A
1/2 hp which is bigger than I have pumps at 6ft 50 gpm, 3000 gallons
an hour, he does need to figure in startup surge load but the idea of
a gen for only a mythical 15a pump isnt what I would do. A 15 amp pump
might pump 350,000 gallons a day, isnt that bigger than an olympic
pool.

Nah, an Olympic pool holds 648,000 gallons. Not sure if that's U.S.,
Imperial, or Approximate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be Olympic gallons?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
a gen for only a mythical 15a pump isnt what I
would do. A 15 amp pump
might pump 350,000 gallons a day, isnt that
bigger than an olympic
pool.

Nah, an Olympic pool holds 648,000 gallons. Not
sure if that's U.S.,
Imperial, or Approximate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:40:34 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Might be Olympic gallons?

Nah, stain comes in Olympic gallons.

Sump Pump Clunk After Backup Pump Install [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 19th 07 05:18 PM
Sump pump float switch: separate from pump? Marc_G Home Repair 4 January 15th 06 09:46 PM
Sump pump? Terry Carroll Home Repair 4 October 24th 04 11:47 PM
Sump Pump vs. No Sump Pump (Questions) BroJack Home Repair 4 September 5th 04 06:56 PM
Specify/Install Sump Pit and Sump Pump Puddin' Man Home Repair 4 November 26th 03 03:59 PM