Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Take nothing for granted when working with Electricity

I have gutted out a small room upstairs with the purpose of remodeling
it for a home recording studio. The room already had three electric
outlets so tonight I was in the process of replacing them and adding a
couple more. One of the outlet boxes had a newer set of wires and a
very old set of wires attached to it.

I puled the outlet out of it's box and was surprised that it had only
one set of wires hooked to it. I removed the wires expecting to find
that the two wires had been spiced together but no. The old wire was
just a dead end. Just cut off and still attached to the outlet box.

So I sat there and thought about it for a second and wondered if the
old wire was still hot. So I trimmed a bit of insulation off so I
could get the tester on it and sure enough it was.

So tomorrow I get to start switching breakers off to see what else
that wire is hooked to. it disappears behind the wallboard in the next
room that I have junked up with stuff I emptied out of the room I am
working on. It would be nice to have two circuits for the outlets in
that room. One for the computer and other stuff and one for the mixer.
The old wire is just two wires with no ground wire. If I can find out
where it's next junction is maybe I can pull it through and replace it
with new wire.

Wish me luck, I need it.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

hibb wrote:
[...]

Good example of why anyone who opens up any wiring device should have
one of those pen-style power detectors in their shirt pocket, and get in
the habit of using it every time, even when you 'know' the power is off.
In fussing with old work, you never know what some idiot previous owner
did 20 years ago.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 9:54*pm, aemeijers wrote:
hibb wrote:
[...]

Yep, I tend to test thing in every way possible before risking my
hide.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

hibb wrote:
[...]

David- Hide quoted text -

ive got a 1952 house with countless un doucumented improvments, ive
found junction box's with 4 breakers worth of wires running through
it. always use your pen tester
Posted to alt.home.repair

hibb wrote:
[...]

Our house turns 100 this year. A great deal had been updated in the
30+ years we have lived here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Always turn off ALL the power before working on electrical wiring.

Why?

If you do not know why, then ESPECIALLY turn off ALL the power!

"hibb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hibb" wrote in message
[...]

Yes fortunately both on the same 115 volt 'leg' (not phase although
they are commonly mis-called that). They are only 'phases' in a 3
phase installation; very uncommon in North American domestic
supplies!

Re switching off ALL power ................. may not be completely
practical for reasons of other lighting, furnace or other heating,
sump pumps, someon else working in the house etc. etc. But AGREE, be
very, very careful.

BTW Not partcularly keen on electrcians who just short out the
circuit; 'To see which CB trips'! Or those who put tips of two fingers
across the wiring 'To see if it's alive'!

electricity not working properly tonytcolon Home Repair 6 May 11th 07 10:14 AM
Compensation when planning permission is granted after appeal [email protected] UK diy 52 June 19th 06 11:32 PM
Electricity : Plug Sockets Not Working !! hamertime UK diy 6 February 11th 06 12:04 AM
Access Granted J T Woodworking 22 December 16th 05 05:34 PM
Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills New Question Home Repair 6 November 24th 04 08:27 AM