Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washer won't drain

I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to repairing home appliances, but
with this being a weekend, we have a small emergency.

Our Maytag front-loader washer is not draining the water after a
cycle. In fact, the water is still soapy, leading me to think that it
is just keeping the same water through all the cycles of a wash.

Is this something that I might attempt to fix, and if so what/where
should I look? Or am I doomed to go find a laundromat and wait for a
repairman to come out next week?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 7:48*pm, MikeB wrote:
I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to repairing home appliances, but
with this being a weekend, we have a small emergency.

Our Maytag front-loader washer is not draining the water after a
cycle. In fact, the water is still soapy, leading me to think that it
is just keeping the same water through all the cycles of a wash.

Is this something that I might attempt to fix, and if so what/where
should I look? Or am I doomed to go find a laundromat and wait for a
repairman to come out next week?

Thanks.

a few options
try chosing the spin cycle to see if its even trying to drain,
is it in a basment? where does it drain to?
is it running through all the cycles or is it stopping after the wash?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 8:48*pm, MikeB wrote:
I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to repairing home appliances, but
with this being a weekend, we have a small emergency.

Our Maytag front-loader washer is not draining the water after a
cycle. In fact, the water is still soapy, leading me to think that it
is just keeping the same water through all the cycles of a wash.

Is this something that I might attempt to fix, and if so what/where
should I look? Or am I doomed to go find a laundromat and wait for a
repairman to come out next week?

Thanks.

Sounds like the drain pump/hose is clogged or the pump itself is not
working. I once had a blockage from a stuffed animal that broke apart
and clogged the pump. It was straightfoward to remove the panel and
gain access to the pump.
Not sure how it is on front loaders, but on most top loaders like
mine, the pump is a seperate component that is easy to get at. You
might want to visit a site like this for help.
http://www.repairclinic.com/Applianc...liance%20parts
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 8:16*pm, auggie wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:48*pm, MikeB wrote:

I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to repairing home appliances, but
with this being a weekend, we have a small emergency.

Our Maytag front-loader washer is not draining the water after a
cycle. In fact, the water is still soapy, leading me to think that it
is just keeping the same water through all the cycles of a wash.

Is this something that I might attempt to fix, and if so what/where
should I look? Or am I doomed to go find a laundromat and wait for a
repairman to come out next week?

Thanks.

a few options
try chosing the spin cycle to see if its even trying to drain,
is it in a basment? where does it drain to?
is it running through all the cycles or is it stopping after the wash?

Well, it spins, but I can only see/hear a trickle of water initially,
then nothing for the duration of the spin cycle, The washer is in the
laundry room on the 1st floor and it drains into a standing pipe. It
runs through all the cycles, but at the end, the water in there is
still the soapy, dirty water from the original wash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 8:26*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Feb 13, 8:48*pm, MikeB wrote:

[...]

I opened the back and the pump is quite separate from the rest of the
components. One concern I have is that I open anything there, all the
water in the machine will come running out into the innards of the
washer. Not good. I did remove as much water as I could, but there is
water below the perforated drum that I cannot reach.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"MikeB" wrote in message
I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to repairing home appliances, but
with this being a weekend, we have a small emergency.

Our Maytag front-loader washer is not draining the water after a
cycle. In fact, the water is still soapy, leading me to think that it
is just keeping the same water through all the cycles of a wash.

Is this something that I might attempt to fix, and if so what/where
should I look? Or am I doomed to go find a laundromat and wait for a
repairman to come out next week?

Thanks.

Hi Mike... try here...
http://www.maytag.com/content.jsp?na...ashers_neptune My
neighbor called me last week to see if I could find the problem as THERE IS
a filter that needs to be cleaned....hers wouldn't drain either and it was a
front load also. She just finished washing some kind of fluffy
quilt.........85 dollars later she had a repairman "find " it for her and
cleaned it out...now she says now that she knows where the damned thing is
she can do it herself... hope that link is of some help... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 8:48*pm, MikeB wrote:

[...]

water below the perforated drum that I cannot reach.- Hide quoted text -

if the pump is higher than the level of water it wont come gushing out
on ya, if there filter idea doest work i would take a five gallon pail
and disconect the line from the inlet side of the pump .. at least
then you would know if its before or after the pump
Posted to alt.home.repair

might want to visit a site like this for help.http://www.repairclinic..com/Applian...liance%20parts

I opened the back and the pump is quite separate from the rest of the
components. One concern I have is that I open anything there, all the
water in the machine will come running out into the innards of the
washer. Not good. I did remove as much water as I could, but there is
water below the perforated drum that I cannot reach.- Hide quoted text -

if the pump is higher than the level of water it wont come gushing out
on ya, if there filter idea doest work i would take a five gallon pail
and disconect the line from the inlet side of the pump .. at least
then you would know if its before or after the pump

Well, from what I can tell the pump (and where the hoses connect to it
front and back is below the drum. and less than an inch off the floor.
I can't get anything but perhaps a cookie sheet (if I can find a
smallish one with a rim) in there. Tomorrow I have to leave early, but
later in the day I might try to post a pic. Perhaps I'm looking at the
wrong thing/place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*Hi Mike... try here...http://www.maytag.com/content.jsp?na...shers_neptune* My
neighbor called me last week to see if I could find the problem as THERE IS
a filter that needs to be cleaned....hers wouldn't drain either and it was a
front load also. She just finished washing some kind of fluffy
quilt.........85 dollars later she had a repairman "find " it for her and
cleaned it out...now she says now that she knows where the damned thing is
she can do it herself... hope that link is of some help... Jim

That Maytag link (and all the others I could find) are so generic and
they don't mention a filter at all. I can't seem to find any good
manuals on the web either. None of the Maytag help mentions anything
that involves removing scres from the back of the machine. :\ But
hey, thanks for helping. I didn't actually find the link you posted,
so that's one more thing I could look at.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MikeB" wrote

Our Maytag front-loader washer is not draining the water after a
cycle. In fact, the water is still soapy, leading me to think that it
is just keeping the same water through all the cycles of a wash.

Hey Mike, the other guys probably have it tagged better but there's one
obvious one it could be.

With all this cold weather, make sure the drain pipe isnt frozen. If you
can unplug from it then pour some water down (if you are in one of the areas
hit hard enough to be frozen), you'll be able to check for a blockage there.
If it fills fast and overflows, you've got your answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:48:31 -0800 (PST), MikeB
wrote:

Our Maytag front-loader washer is not draining the water after a
cycle. In fact, the water is still soapy, leading me to think that it
is just keeping the same water through all the cycles of a wash.

Is this digital control buttons, with circuit board? I had a board go
bad on a machine that acted just like this. ($$)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 7:48*pm, MikeB wrote:
I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to repairing home appliances, but
with this being a weekend, we have a small emergency.

Our Maytag front-loader washer is not draining the water after a
cycle. In fact, the water is still soapy, leading me to think that it
is just keeping the same water through all the cycles of a wash.

Is this something that I might attempt to fix, and if so what/where
should I look? Or am I doomed to go find a laundromat and wait for a
repairman to come out next week?

Thanks.

My wife didn't want me to unscrew stuff and let water run out, so in
the (mistaken) belief that a qualified repair person qould make less
of a mess, we called out our trusted appliance guy. He tool one look
and said that he does not work on Maytag front-loaders. and left (no
charge). Called another company htat sent some guys out. They
unscreed the pipes, made a mess that took several towels to blot up
and found caked together washer detergent blocking the drain opening.

Turns out my wife has recently started using granular Oxyclean in the
wash, and had disregarded the instructions to not mix the HE
detergent and Oxyclean granules, so we had these little undissolved
blobs of gunk in there. $110 lesson.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:27:03 -0800 (PST), MikeB
wrote:

On Feb 13, 7:48*pm, MikeB wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the update.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 4:27*pm, MikeB wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:48*pm, MikeB wrote:

[...]

Did you watch the guy to at least learn how to unclog the drain next
time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the field report. Expensive, but maybe
saved someone else.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"MikeB" wrote in message

Turns out my wife has recently started using
granular Oxyclean in the
wash, and had disregarded the instructions to not
mix the HE
detergent and Oxyclean granules, so we had these
little undissolved
blobs of gunk in there. $110 lesson.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeB wrote:
-snip-
Turns out my wife has recently started using granular Oxyclean in the
wash, and had disregarded the instructions to not mix the HE
detergent *and Oxyclean granules, so we had these little undissolved
blobs of gunk in there. *$110 lesson.

Where were those instructions? I just looked through all the
paperwork on our Frigidaire affinity washer & no mention of Oxyclean-
which my wife uses liberally.

Is it Maytag specific- or was it on the Oxyclean or HE detergent?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 4:13*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
MikeB wrote:

-snip-

Turns out my wife has recently started using granular Oxyclean in the
wash, and had disregarded the instructions to not mix the HE
detergent *and Oxyclean granules, so we had these little undissolved
blobs of gunk in there. *$110 lesson.

Where were those instructions? *I just looked through all the
paperwork on our Frigidaire affinity washer & no mention of Oxyclean-
which my wife uses liberally.

Is it Maytag specific- or was it on the Oxyclean or HE detergent?

Jim

Sorry for the late reply. On the Oxyclean container, there is
something about not mixing it with the HE detergent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeB wrote:

On Feb 16, 4:13*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
MikeB wrote:

-snip-

Turns out my wife has recently started using granular Oxyclean in the
wash, and had disregarded the instructions to not mix the HE
detergent *and Oxyclean granules, so we had these little undissolved
blobs of gunk in there. *$110 lesson.

Where were those instructions? *I just looked through all the
paperwork on our Frigidaire affinity washer & no mention of Oxyclean-
which my wife uses liberally.

Is it Maytag specific- or was it on the Oxyclean or HE detergent?

Jim

Sorry for the late reply. On the Oxyclean container, there is
something about not mixing it with the HE detergent.

Hmm. Are you in California? Just wondering is they have
restrictions on some chemical that is available to the rest of us. I
bought this box at Samsclub a few months ago. [NY] I didn't see
any warnings last time looked, but since you said it was on the box I
looked closer this time.

My box has a little logo [smaller than the 'O' in Oxi Clean] that is a
He logo with "For regular and HE Washers". Maybe new/old
stock? Or maybe a chemical restriction where you are?

Glad we can use it without guilt as changing my wife's laundry habits
is not a battle I'd choose to begin.

Jim
[want me to send you a box?g]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kudos to all the armchair appliance repairmen in our midst, but did
anyone ever bother asking about the model type of the Maytag washer?
There are no screens on any model.

Let's have a little history lesson...There are three basic Maytag
front load washers.

1. Maytag Neptune, the big white one that was marketed during the 90s
or so, and repopularized front load machines.
2. Maytag Neptune by Samsung, rebranded machines for a year or so when
the original Neptune was pulled of the market.
3. Maytag Epic, rebranded Whirlpool machines, marketed after WP bought
Maytag. Epic Z is a shorter version.

Here is some very simplified info on addressing pump issues...

For #1, remove the door hinge screws and the screws on the other side
of the door if the door opend the opposite way. Leave the door
closed. Then remove the front panel and go at the pump if you want.
The hose to the pump is likely clogged, or the pump itself has a
blockage at the impeller.

For #3, remove the torx screws at the bottom of the access panel, and
remove the panel. You can then open the pump strainer and remove any
blockage there, and you may also have access to the impeller area to
see if there is a blockage. Epic Z uses 1/4" screws.

For #2, these were not at all popular. You probably don't have one of
these, so I won't bother commenting.