Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Foil insulation can be fatal

BBC reports:

"The Australian government has ordered a huge safety audit of every home
that was fitted with foil insulation as part of a nationwide energy-saving
plan. The insulation programme was suspended after it was linked to a number
of electrocution deaths."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8507538.stm

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

BBC reports:

"The Australian government has ordered a huge safety audit of every home
that was fitted with foil insulation as part of a nationwide energy-saving
plan. The insulation programme was suspended after it was linked to a number
of electrocution deaths."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8507538.stm

BZZZZZZZT KABOOOM!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 11:36*am, Moldy Cheese wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
BBC reports:

"The Australian government has ordered a huge safety audit of every home
that was fitted with foil insulation as part of a nationwide energy-saving
plan. The insulation programme was suspended after it was linked to a number
of electrocution deaths."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8507538.stm

BZZZZZZZT KABOOOM!!!!

quote from the article...

"But the metallic foil used in older houses has already killed four
electricians who were installing it....."

since when do electricicans install insulation?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote in
:

HeyBub wrote:
BBC reports:

"The Australian government has ordered a huge safety audit of every
hom

that was fitted with foil insulation as part of a nationwide
energy-sav

ing
plan. The insulation programme was suspended after it was linked to
a n

umber
of electrocution deaths."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8507538.stm

BZZZZZZZT KABOOOM!!!!

quote from the article...

"But the metallic foil used in older houses has already killed four
electricians who were installing it....."

since when do electricicans install insulation?

Mark

Improperly grounded insulation I guess!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Mark wrote in
:

HeyBub wrote:
BBC reports:
"The Australian government has ordered a huge safety audit of every
hom

that was fitted with foil insulation as part of a nationwide
energy-sav

ing
plan. The insulation programme was suspended after it was linked to
a n

umber
of electrocution deaths."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8507538.stm
BZZZZZZZT KABOOOM!!!!

quote from the article...

"But the metallic foil used in older houses has already killed four
electricians who were installing it....."

since when do electricicans install insulation?

Mark

Improperly grounded insulation I guess!

Or poorly insulated foil insulation ;-)

the uk has a problem with plastic pipe being intermixed with
legacy cast iron and copper pipe. their 220 service has no
ground reference and "earth"(equipment ground) depends on a
metallic connection thru the public water pipes.

So one neighbor has an appliance with a breakdown to one
side of the 220 line, and another neighbor has a bad
appliance with a breakdown to the other side of the 220.
A plumber or utility worker opens a water line and suddenly
there is 220 between the two sections of metallic water line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
larry typed:
Red Green wrote:
Mark wrote in
:

HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Oh, that sure clears up a lot. Of something, I suppose. Doesn't affect the
price of tea in China though.

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In m,
HeyBub typed:
BBC reports:

"The Australian government has ordered a huge safety audit of every
home that was fitted with foil insulation as part of a nationwide
energy-saving plan. The insulation programme was suspended after it
was linked to a number of electrocution deaths."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8507538.stm

Well, I only have peripheral knowledge of such things in OZ, but:
1. Electricians install insulation? I can see how an electrician might come
in contact with the foil, but while "installing" it?

2. Touching the Mains causes the foil to become live? Wouldn't that be more
of a problem with exposed electrical components than with the foil?

3. "Far North Queensland" happens to be an area I've been around. Well not
far north really; the area of Townsville and Garbutt Air Base to be
specific. The far north of Queensland could well be pretty old stuff; like
maybe they have knob & tube wiring? I don't know of any other way to easily
contact Mains power.

I don't believe the article and tend to doubt its authenticity. Either that
or the BBC in that case has/had some very ignorant and inexperienced
writers. The whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, I don't
believe everythign I read and that's one I think is fishy.

HTH,

Twayne

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twayne wrote:
[...]

It makes sense when you consider a companion article asserted that the
reason for the foil in the first place was to intercept harmful rays and
mind-reading microwaves. As part of the installation, the foil was to be
connected to a Tesla coil...

Just kidding...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 14:54:22 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

[snip]

the uk has a problem with plastic pipe being intermixed with
legacy cast iron and copper pipe. their 220 service has no
ground reference and "earth"(equipment ground) depends on a
metallic connection thru the public water pipes.

So one neighbor has an appliance with a breakdown to one
side of the 220 line, and another neighbor has a bad
appliance with a breakdown to the other side of thhe 220.
A plumber or utility worker opens a water line and suddenly
there is 220 between the two sections of metallic water line.

Oh, that sure clears up a lot. Of something, I suppose. Doesn't affect the
price of tea in China though.

This PROBABLY didn't happen...

At China's major supplier to tea to restaurants, a man named Chen had
a problem. All Chinese-grown tea had become diseased and they were low
on uncontaminated tea. So Chen traveled to the UK to buy some tea
there. He stopped along one street to look at an unusual sight. A man
was lying unconscious with his hands in a freshly-dug hole, holding
onto the ends of a disconnected pipe. Chen calls for an ambulance.
Police also show up to deal with a domestic dispute. Two women are
arguing loudly. Each accuses the other of being a witch, and putting a
spell on her electric dryer. Chen returns home, having forgotten the
tea.