Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Foil insulation can be fatal

Twayne wrote:
In m,
HeyBub typed:
BBC reports:

"The Australian government has ordered a huge safety audit of every
home that was fitted with foil insulation as part of a nationwide
energy-saving plan. The insulation programme was suspended after it
was linked to a number of electrocution deaths."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8507538.stm

Well, I only have peripheral knowledge of such things in OZ, but:
1. Electricians install insulation? I can see how an electrician
might come in contact with the foil, but while "installing" it?

2. Touching the Mains causes the foil to become live? Wouldn't that
be more of a problem with exposed electrical components than with the
foil?
3. "Far North Queensland" happens to be an area I've been around.
Well not far north really; the area of Townsville and Garbutt Air
Base to be specific. The far north of Queensland could well be pretty
old stuff; like maybe they have knob & tube wiring? I don't know of
any other way to easily contact Mains power.

I don't believe the article and tend to doubt its authenticity.
Either that or the BBC in that case has/had some very ignorant and
inexperienced writers. The whole thing just doesn't make sense to
me. Anyway, I don't believe everythign I read and that's one I think
is fishy.

It makes sense when you consider a companion article asserted that the
reason for the foil in the first place was to intercept harmful rays and
mind-reading microwaves. As part of the installation, the foil was to be
connected to a Tesla coil...

Just kidding...