Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher upper spray arm not turning despite water flowing

Hi,

I have a Beko "DE 2541 FX" slimline dishwasher. The upper arm is
not turning/spinning/rotating, even though water pours out the spray
arm's holes.

I have thoroughly cleaned the entire dishwasher compartment: the
door, the inside walls, the sump and filters, the upper and lower trays,
the arms, just about everything.

Now the bottom spray arm works fine, goes merrily round and round
spraying just dandy. If I give the bottom spray arm a good flick of the
thumb, it spins freely and will do nine or ten complete revolutions
until it stops. The upper arm is harder to turn, I can get it to rotate
two or three times at most. I couldn't really say under oath that it
turns "freely".

Should the upper spray arm rotate more freely?

The two arms are differently designed. The bottom spray arm is
simpler -- it's all plastic and just "clicks" into position. The upper
spray arm is slightly more complicated. The central hub is formed of
three interlocking snap-together parts: 1) the long arm; 2) the
bayonet-lock disc with o-ring; 3) the centre hole piece. The upper
spray arm has a bayonet/"screw on" way of being attached. When I
cleaned the upper arm, I had to pull out six or so hairs that were
wrapped around the bayonet disc and centre-hole piece that form the hub.
When the arm is assembled at the factory, the centre-hole snaps into
the arm -- trapping and securing the bayonet-lock disc -- in such a way
that you can't get at the snaps again to disassemble it. It makes it a
bugger to clean the hub of hairs that have gotten wrapped around there!
I have soaked the upper spray arm in hot vinegar for 12 hours.

**** If anyone has a Beko dishwasher, I would be most grateful if
you could post the results of flicking the upper and lower spray arms on
your machine. (Be prepared for a few drops of water to fly out!) How
many complete revolutions does each do when you give a good flick with
the thumb or finger? ****

With kind regards,

Sandy