Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas lines

"rb" wrote in message
Where gas lines cross you property edge, and run maybe 200' to the meter
by the house......

Do gas companies generally make you repair those lined between house and
property lines?

Or, is that considered their job to take care of?

Just starting to ask about our situation here.

I'm sure this varies from place to place. In my area, the utility company
makes the rules and specs, the homeowner or builder's licensed plumber
installs the lines as per spec, and the utility company maintains the lines
up to the inlet side of their meter. This makes sense because if a line
breaks before the meter, it costs them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
Where gas lines cross you property edge, and run maybe 200' to the
meter by the house......

Do gas companies generally make you repair those lined between house
and property lines?

Or, is that considered their job to take care of?

Just starting to ask about our situation here.

you need to ask them, but generally, you're only responsible for the pipes
on your side of the meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:45:13 -0800, "rb" wrote:

Where gas lines cross you property edge, and run maybe 200' to the meter by
the house......

Do gas companies generally make you repair those lined between house and
property lines?

Or, is that considered their job to take care of?

Just starting to ask about our situation here.

Typically they will repair, at their cost, anything up to, and
including the meter. Anything beyond the meter is the homeowners
responsibility.

In other words, if the gas leaks out before the meter they aren't
getting paid for their product and that isn't good for business.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned-- how would you repair such a
line anyway. Does the main line running down the street or alley have a
shut off where each line branches off to go to the individual meterd, or
would the entire main have to be shut down if a repair was needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lp1331 1p1331" wrote in message
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned-- how would you repair such a
line anyway. Does the main line running down the street or alley have a
shut off where each line branches off to go to the individual meterd, or
would the entire main have to be shut down if a repair was needed.

Every building has a street shutoff

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found the water shut off, for my parents house.
Someday, I'll have to go look for the street shut off. I'm
not aware if there is such.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

Every building has a street shutoff

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Lp1331 1p1331" wrote in message
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned-- how would you repair such
a line anyway. Does the main line running down the street or alley
have a shut off where each line branches off to go to the individual
meterd, or would the entire main have to be shut down if a repair
was needed.

Every building has a street shutoff

Except mine. And all my neighbors. The first shutoff is on the meter at the
house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:21:55 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"Lp1331 1p1331" wrote in message
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned-- how would you repair such a
line anyway. Does the main line running down the street or alley have a
shut off where each line branches off to go to the individual meterd, or
would the entire main have to be shut down if a repair was needed.

Every building has a street shutoff

Mabee where you live.
Here the shutoff is at the meter, and the meter is at the house.
Street shutoff exists for water, but not gas (or electric, which is
also underground)

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Lp1331 1p1331" wrote in message
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned-- how would you repair such a
line anyway. Does the main line running down the street or alley have a
shut off where each line branches off to go to the individual meterd, or
would the entire main have to be shut down if a repair was needed.

Every building has a street shutoff

I don't have an easily accessible one. There may be one where my line
taps off the street line. You would have to dig down to the street line
to get to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Every building has a street shutoff

I don't have an easily accessible one. There may be one where my line
taps off the street line. You would have to dig down to the street line
to get to it.

They often get buried over time but can be important if a gas leak
occurs or a home fire where firefighters cant reach the meter shutoff.
Heck I know of 2 people who gas meters got hit with runaway vehicles

If our main leaks the GOOD NEWS!! It may be replaced without digging
up the entire line

Just either end. Street shutoff and meter, or home if meter is in
front yard near curb.

Plumbers sanakes a new plastic line thru the old leaky one. Saves
money and big dig and restoration.

Fact is equitable replaces main lines in the same way. Dig at each
curb connection snake new plastic line thru old metal one. saves
tearing up streets sidewalks etc etc.

If the OP has a gas odor I highly recommend calling the gas company.
Gas leaks can be very hazardous, and the leak may not be theirs. it
may just be following their lines, can get into basements thru sewer
lines.

gas company or plumber can pressure test line to find out if home line
is leaking, or not. often its a main service line leak and the gas
companies problem

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:45:13 -0800, "rb" wrote:

Where gas lines cross you property edge, and run maybe 200' to the meter by
the house......

Do gas companies generally make you repair those lined between house and
property lines?

Or, is that considered their job to take care of?

I'm sure they want you to fix it yourself, because that way, they'll
know it was done right.

Their own workers can't really be relied on.

Just starting to ask about our situation here.

What Causes These Lines on My TV? jim evans[_2_] Electronics Repair 9 September 25th 08 03:46 AM
AIR LINES BT98 Woodworking 42 March 5th 07 12:55 PM
From chalk lines to roof lines--Putting final shingles at the top [email protected] Home Repair 14 September 27th 06 01:23 AM
Lines across JVC TV Hex Electronics Repair 2 September 25th 06 10:00 PM
Diagonal lines starmoth Electronics Repair 1 April 17th 06 08:44 PM