Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Chili Recipe?

I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.

I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or
stove top, either way.

Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 9:15*am, kpg wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in news:0fde31be-7013-4656-a688-
:

I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.

I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or
stove top, either way.

Any ideas?

Look up food network 'Aztec Chili'

Don't let the 'secret' ingredient fool you, this stuff is really good.

Thanks.

Oh...and you owe the NFL $1.00.

The smallest bill I have is a five spot.

Super Bowl Sunday
Super Bowl Sunday
Super Bowl Sunday
Super Bowl Sunday

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 9:15*am, kpg wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in news:0fde31be-7013-4656-a688-
:

I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.

I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or
stove top, either way.

Any ideas?

Look up food network 'Aztec Chili'

Don't let the 'secret' ingredient fool you, this stuff is really good.

Oh...and you owe the NFL $1.00.

BTW

Look up food network 'Aztec Chili'

....nothing there...

From: http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/de...hTyp e=recipe

" Sorry, no recipes were found for Aztec Chili "

However, Google found a few recipes "Aztec Chili" , including this
one, which looks interesting, if not pretty complex.

I'm fresh out of Masa flour and Cancho corn kernels. ;-)

http://chilipaper.com/FRecipes/Fmain...ztec_chili.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.

I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or
stove top, either way.

Any ideas?

2 lb. lean ground beef
1 large white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lg can tomato juice
2 cans Bush Chili Hot Beans (they don't taste hot)
2 Tbsp. (more, for taste) McCormick chili powder

Brown gr. beef, mix in garlic and onion and saute until softened. Add
tomato juice and simmer to thicken to consistency you like. I like mine
"soupy". Add beans with liquid, heat to temp. Serve over elbow
macaroni...crumble in some corn chips, green onion, shredded cheese.
Add Tobasco red sauce if you like "heat"...little goes a long way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Feb 4, 9:15 am, kpg wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in news:0fde31be-7013-4656-a688-
:

I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.

I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or
stove top, either way.

Imo, there are 6 secrets to making really great chili.
1. Cook it the day before and let the flavors meld overnight in the fridge.
Second most important step.
2. Use Mexene brand chili seasoning. This has a robust blend of spices.
Other than salt and pepper it all you need.
3. Completely brown the meat and onions till the onions are caramelizing
before you add anything else. If isn't sticking to pan for the last couple
of minutes you aren't doing it right. Single most important step. Drain any
grease before proceeding.
4. Use dark red kidney beans and black beans. Mostly smash the kidneys.
Equal parts by pre-cooked weight of kidney beans and meat.
5. Buy a quality grade of ground chuck. No more than 15% fat.
6. Rinse the beans very well under running warm water to remove the can
taste.

The beans extend the size of the batch and make a healthier chili than all
meat.

A hearty batch that would serve 6-8 hungry guys would have 3 pounds of beef,
3 pounds of dark red kidney beans, one pound can of black beans, one can of
tomato juice, a baseball sized sweet onion, 1/4 cup of light brown sugar,
salt pepper and about 1/4 of the small Mexene bottle (to taste). Depending
on how long you simmer it you might need to add 1 8 ounce can of tomato
sauce and one can of water.

The tomato juice onions and meat are simmered for a while before the smashed
beans are added.

For extra flavor you can dump in a can of diced green chilis (not jalapenos
serve those on the side if you must).

Served over thin spaghetti (optional) with sour cream, a couple of diced
cheeses, soup crackers, and white corn tortilla chips people can have a 1-6
way chili of their choosing from the same pot.

Total stove top cooking time is about 2-3 hours on very low heat once the
meat is browned. Over night the bean starch will absorb the flavor of the
meat and thicken the chili. You may have to add a little water when
reheating.

If you try this post you feedback here.

If you smash those kidneys well but not totally your guests will never know
that the recipe is 50% beans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 9:15 am, kpg wrote:

[...]

Thanks Colbyt, not just for the recipe, but for all the details.

What are your thoughts on 2 - 3 hours in a slow cooker on low?
Posted to alt.home.repair

For my secret ingredient I add a teaspon of instant coffee. keep it in
mind.

I need 9 - 3 saints for 20g.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 11:23*am, Thomas wrote:
For my secret ingredient I add a teaspon of instant coffee. keep it in
mind.

I need 9 - 3 saints for 20g.

Sorry, I need 9 - 6 Indy. Can't have it both ways.

Once again, my condolences.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 9:15 am, kpg wrote:

[...]

After step 3 any way you want to simmer it is fine. I would start on high
until it came up to simmer.

Might save you from running in to stir it every 15 minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 9:15 am, kpg wrote:

[...]

Might save you from running in to stir it every 15 minutes.- Hide quoted text -

"Might save you from running in to stir it every 15 minutes"

That's exactly what I was thinking.

As of now, you are at the top of the list.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 11:23*am, Thomas wrote:
For my secret ingredient I add a teaspon of instant coffee. keep it in
mind.

I need 9 - 3 saints for 20g.

I use coco power and coffee

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 9:15 am, kpg wrote:

[...]

"one can of tomato juice"

That's the one ingredient you don't specify by an actual amount.

What size can?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

-snip-
I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.

I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or
stove top, either way.

With little exception- this sounds like how I do it too.

Imo, there are 6 secrets to making really great chili.
1. Cook it the day before and let the flavors meld overnight in the fridge.

Amen!!
Second most important step.
2. Use Mexene brand chili seasoning. This has a robust blend of spices.
Other than salt and pepper it all you need.

I get away with Chili powder & cumin-- about 3times as much chili
powder as cumin.

3. Completely brown the meat and onions till the onions are caramelizing
before you add anything else. If isn't sticking to pan for the last couple
of minutes you aren't doing it right. Single most important step. Drain any
grease before proceeding.

I like mine greasy-- and will substitute sausage [hot or sweet] for
1/2 the meat.

I throw in a couple sweet peppers after the meat & onions [and garlic]
are nearly done. I just sweat the peppers- they cook later.

4. Use dark red kidney beans and black beans. Mostly smash the kidneys.
Equal parts by pre-cooked weight of kidney beans and meat.

Never mashed my beans-- and I don't drain them.
5. Buy a quality grade of ground chuck. No more than 15% fat.
6. Rinse the beans very well under running warm water to remove the can
taste.

The beans extend the size of the batch and make a healthier chili than all
meat.

A hearty batch that would serve 6-8 hungry guys would have 3 pounds of beef,
3 pounds of dark red kidney beans, one pound can of black beans, one can of
tomato juice, a baseball sized sweet onion, 1/4 cup of light brown sugar,
salt pepper and about 1/4 of the small Mexene bottle (to taste). Depending
on how long you simmer it you might need to add 1 8 ounce can of tomato
sauce and one can of water.

In that batch, I'd double the onions- chop a 1/2 dozen cloves of
garlic and dice a couple sweet peppers. Instead of the tomato
juice I'd use 3pounds of diced tomatoes-- canned OK- leave the juice.
For the spice I'd start with 1/2 cup chili powder & 2-3 tbls Cumin.
I might also toss in a dash of Balsamic vinegar.

The tomato juice onions and meat are simmered for a while before the smashed
beans are added.

For extra flavor you can dump in a can of diced green chilis (not jalapenos
serve those on the side if you must).

I've got a couple folks in the house who don't like the heat- so I
keep bottles of hot sauce for individual spicing'. Frank's Red hot is
my favorite because it has lots of flavor and isn't too hot. I have
an old bottle of Bin Laden's that still makes the best of em cry.

Served over thin spaghetti (optional) with sour cream, a couple of diced
cheeses, soup crackers, and white corn tortilla chips people can have a 1-6
way chili of their choosing from the same pot.

How far beyond Cincinnati does Chili & Spaghetti go? We serve ours
on rice.

Total stove top cooking time is about 2-3 hours on very low heat once the
meat is browned. Over night the bean starch will absorb the flavor of the
meat and thicken the chili. You may have to add a little water when
reheating.

If you try this post you feedback here.

If you smash those kidneys well but not totally your guests will never know
that the recipe is 50% beans.

Overall I like the recipe. No need to hide kidney beans in this
house. And I like the texture of them whole.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

How far beyond Cincinnati does Chili & Spaghetti go? We serve ours
on rice.

Syline Chili has restaurants in Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus and Toledo, and
apparently, a few in Florida.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

DT wrote:

How far beyond Cincinnati does Chili & Spaghetti go? We serve ours
on rice.

Syline Chili has restaurants in Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus and Toledo, and
apparently, a few in Florida.

Skyline is the only I've ever seen on spaghetti-- is that just their
thing, or do other parts of the world put chili on pasta?

Jim
[sounds weird-- but we do it once in a while for a change]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 1:00*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DT wrote:

How far beyond Cincinnati does Chili & Spaghetti go? * *We serve ours
on rice.

Syline Chili has restaurants in Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus and Toledo, and
apparently, a few in Florida.

Skyline is the only I've ever seen on spaghetti-- is that just their
thing, or do other parts of the world put chili on pasta?

Jim
[sounds weird-- but we do it once in a while for a change]

We've always put it on rice.

We also usually have cornbread on the side. I'll be making a big tray
full Sunday morning.

Since it'll be Sunday morning, it's a perfect time to make popovers,
which I always start in a cold oven. By the time they're done, the
cornbread will be ready to go in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 9:15 am, kpg wrote:

[...]

The big one. Don't have one here but I think 48 ounces. About 12-14" tall
and 4" around.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
DT wrote:

How far beyond Cincinnati does Chili & Spaghetti go? We serve ours
on rice.

Syline Chili has restaurants in Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus and Toledo,
and
apparently, a few in Florida.

Skyline is the only I've ever seen on spaghetti-- is that just their
thing, or do other parts of the world put chili on pasta?

Jim
[sounds weird-- but we do it once in a while for a change]

Skyline isn't the only one to serve it over spaghetti. Of course I am only
about 80 miles south of Cincy so it may still be a local thing.

Real rice sounds good also. I will have to try that.

For one of the other posters: Not hiding the beans. Smashing most of them
helps thicket what starts out as a really runny chili.

Now back when the 3 kids were little and I was using twice the beans as I
was meat, I was doing a little hiding.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 9:15 am, kpg wrote:

[...]

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com- Hide quoted text -

Got it! Going shopping tonight.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.

I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or
stove top, either way.

Any ideas?

It's a little late to start this but here's my recipe for Snakebite
Chili, developed over many, many years of trial and effort. I've
already got four gallons made for Super Sunday:

Snakebite Chili

Chili Rub (recipe follows)
2-3 lb. Beef Shoulder
2-3 lb. Beef Tri-tip
2 lb. Pork Shoulder
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 c. Manteca lard (or 1/4 lb. pork fat or suet)
1 large Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. Beef Broth
1 c. pureed garden Tomatoes, strained (or 1 sm. can Tomato Paste)
8-10 tomatillos, peeled, stemmed & coarsely chopped
4 Chili Ancho (dried Pablano pods)
1 Chili Pasilla (dried Chilaca pod)
1 Chili Cascabel, Catarina or Guajilla Pepper (dried pod)
(*Note: the above 3 items can be found in the dried Mexican spice
section of most large local supermarkets)
1 (for mild chili) to 6 (for spicy chili) fresh Jalapeño Peppers, seeds
removed and finely chopped
1-2 Serrano Chills, chopped (optional - CAUTION! These are the hottest
peppers on Earth!)
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh Cilantro
1 tsp. chopped dried Oregano
1 Tbsp. crushed whole Cumin Seed
1 tsp. ground Cayenne
1 tsp. Paprika
1 12-oz bottle black beer (London Porter, Stout or seasonal microbrew
Bock)
1 dash Heradura Tequila (optional)

Chili Rub:
1/4 c. ground red chili pepper or cayenne
1/4 c. Paprika
1/4 c. dry mustard (Coleman's)
2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
4 tsp. crushed whole cumin seed
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic powder (or Garlic Salt, but reduce salt above by 1 tsp.)
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Blend all ingredients and store for use in chili, tacos, fajitas,
burritos, beans, tostadas, BBQ ribs, and many other really spicy
dishes.

Trim excess fat from Beef and Pork roasts. Rub whole roasts thoroughly
with generous amounts of Chili Rub. When no more rub will adhere to the
meat, let the roasts stand at room temperature while you prepare the
fire in your BBQ smoker.

Smoke all meats slowly 4-6 hrs in a conventional BBQ smoker over a
hickory or mesquite fire according to mfr.'s directions. Do not allow
your smoker's temperature to rise above 250° F for more than a few
minutes. Remove the roasts from the smoker when your meat thermometer
registers 120-130° at the thickest part of each piece. Meat should be
quite rare but not raw on the inside, and well done, preferably black
and crunchy, on the outside. When roasts are done, seal each one in a
plastic freezer bag (remove excess air from bags before sealing) and
allow them to marinate, refrigerated, in their own juices overnight.

[Roasts can also be pre-cooked in a conventional oven. Trim fat, rub as
above, then roast slowly at 250° F on a meat rack over a roasting pan
containing 1-2 tsp. Liquid Smoke and 1 cups beef broth or water until
meat thermometer reads 120-130° F. Marinate overnight as above.]

The next morning, dice meat into 1/2" cubes. Mix together flour, kosher
salt, ground pepper and 1 Tbsp. Chili Rub. Place flour mixture in large
paper bag along with the cubed meat. Shake bag to coat each piece of
meat lightly with flour & spice mixture.

Melt lard in a heavy 7-quart cast iron Dutch oven over high heat. (If
pork fat or suet is used, discard rinds after fat has rendered out. Do
not skimp on the fat. You will need at least 1/4 cup of fat or lard to
brown all of the meat, and later the onions & garlic. Add more fat or
lard if necessary.)

Add beef and pork cubes to the hot fat. Stir frequently to brown on all
sides but do not cook completely through (remember that the roasts are
already partially cooked), about 15 minutes. Flour coating should be
moist but not gummy or stringy. Some of this coating may adhere to the
bottom of the best-cured cast iron Dutch ovens, and it may even begin
to burn. Do not worry as long as it does not char completely black or
smoke profusely (adjust heat accordingly and scrape bottom of Dutch
oven with a wooden spatula to prevent such a tragedy). This coating
will dissolve into the Chili later, during the lengthy simmering
process, and it adds considerable flavor to the finished dish.

Remove the browned meat from Dutch oven and set aside. Add chopped
onion and minced garlic to the Dutch oven. Cook, stirring constantly,
over medium-high heat until it becomes golden and translucent (onions
should be tender but still crunchy; not brown or caramelized), about 5
minutes.

Return meat to Dutch oven. Add 1 cup beef broth, 1/2 bottle beer,
pureed tomatoes or tomato paste and chopped tomatillos. Bring to full
boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer.

While meat simmers, trim stems from Ancho, Pasilla and Guajilla chili
pods. Slit each pod lengthwise. Remove seeds and internal pith where
the seeds are attached. (Do this under running water. Use caution when
handling these chilies; keep your fingers away from your eyes and
mouth. Wash hands thoroughly before handling any other foods or
touching any remotely mucous vertebrate membrane. Unlike other Mexican
dishes involving chilies, do NOT attempt to remove the outer skins.)
Bring the cleaned chili pods to a full boil in 1-2 cups water. Turn off
heat and let stand for 10 minutes.

Strain chili pods from water. Reserve the liquid for later use. Puree
the rehydrated pods in a blender or food processor until the outer
skins are reduced to large molecules invisible to the naked eye. Add
pureed chili pods, chopped Cilantro, chopped Jalapeños, chopped
Serranos (optional), crushed Cumin seed, Cayenne and Paprika to the
simmering meat.

Simmer Chili (Yes! It's really Chili now!), covered, until meat is
fork-tender or beyond, AT LEAST four hours.

Taste frequently. During the simmering process you can adjust
consistency (if chili is too thick) by adding equal parts reserved
water from chili pods, beef broth and beer, or (if chili is too thin),
by adding a Tbsp. of flour or cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup of
water/broth/beer mixture. Adjust spiciness (if too mild) by adding
Jalapeño or Serrano chilies. Or (if too spicy), Šwell, if it's too
spicy, too bad, there's not much you can do about it now but enjoy this
new intriguing flavor. So sue me.

Immediately prior to serving, for extra bite, add 1 dash of Heradura
Tequila to Chili, blending well. (This is optional -- purists will add
Pulque, a beverage that is somewhat difficult to find north of Peru.)

Although it can be served immediately, this Chili benefits from being
refrigerated and reheated as many as three or four times. This process
forces all the flavors to blend thoroughly, and it breaks down the
chunks of meat even further for a more authentic Mexican shredded meat
consistency.

Serve with grated cheese, red beans, sliced jalapeños, corn bread and
generous quantities of your favorite beverage. Serves a whole bunch of
people, most of whom will require esophageal reconstruction afterwards.
Check with your HMO for co-payment details and permissible surgical
procedures. Check with your attorney for civil liability protection.

And remember to invite me to the party.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Notes From An Inexperienced Chili Tester Named FRANK, who
was visiting
Texas from the East Coast: "Recently, I was honored to be
selected as a
judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in
sick at the last
moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's
table asking
directions to the beer wagon, when the call came.

I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that
the chili
wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me I
could have free
beer during the tasting. So I accepted."

Here are the scorecards from the event:

CHILI # 1 MIKE'S MANIAC MOBSTER MONSTER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.

JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

FRANK: Holy ****, what the hell is this stuff? You could
remove dried
paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the
flames out. I hope
that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

CHILI # 2 ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno
tang.

JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be
taken
seriously.

FRANK: Keep this out of the reach of children I'm not sure
what I am
supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people
who wanted to
give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer
when they
saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3 FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more
beans.

JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of
peppers.

FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose
feels like I
have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now
get me more
beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my
backbone is
in the front part of my chest. I'm getting ****-faced from
all the beer.

CHILI # 4 BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC

JUDGE ONE: Black bean chili with almost no spice.
Disappointing.

JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish
for fish or
other mild foods, not much of a chili.

FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was
unable to
taste it, is it possible to burnout taste buds? Sally, the
barmaid, was
standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb. Bitch is
starting to
look HOT, just like this nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chili
an
aphrodisiac?

CHILI # 5 LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER

JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly
ground, adding
considerable kick. Very Impressive.

JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato.
Must admit
the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

FRANK: My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead
and I can
no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me
needed
paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her
that her chili
had given me brain damage, Sally saved my tongue from
bleeding by pouring
beer directly on it from a pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning
my lips off?
It really ****es me off that the other judges asked me to
stop screaming.
Screw those rednecks!

CHILI # 6 VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY

JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good
balance of spice
and peppers.

JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions,
and garlic.
Superb.

FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with
gaseous,
sulfuric flames. I **** myself when I farted and I'm worried
it will eat
through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me
except that
slut Sally. She must be kinkier than I thought. Can't feel
my lips
anymore. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!

CHILI # 7 SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned
peppers.

JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in
a can of
chili peppers at the last moment. I should take note that I
am worried
about Judge Number 3, He appears to be in a bit of distress
as he is
cursing uncontrollably.

FRANK: You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin,
and I wouldn't
feel a damn thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world
sounds like
it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili,
which slid
unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava-like
**** to match my
damn shirt. At least during the autopsy they'll know what
killed me. I've
decided to stop breathing; it's too painful. Screw it. I'm
not getting
any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in
through the 4-inch
hole in my stomach.
__________________________________________________ __

CHILI # 8 LESTER'S LAST OF THE RED-HOT LOVER'S CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili,
safe for all,
not too bold but spicy enough to declare it's existence.

JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good, balanced chili.
Neither mild nor
hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge Number
3 passed
out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of
himself. Not sure
if he's going to make it. Poor Yank, wonder how he'd have
reacted to a
really hot chili?

Posted to alt.home.repair

No recipe here-- numerous have already been given, that sound great.
According to some legends, chili originated right here in San Antonio--
largely to stretch meager rations of meat, and diguise the fact that
some of it may have been a tad past it's prime. Lending some creadance
to this is that a friend here, whose wife is from Monterrey Mex, said
that whenever his inlaws come here to visit, they always want to go to
Wendy's and have their chili. It is appearantly not a Mexican dish, as
one would think. Anyhow, the beauty of chili is that you would really
have to work at making it bad. You can use just about any kind of
meat-hamburger, meat specifically ground for chili, finely diced beef,
pork, venison etc. A friend uses ground turkey. Season it to taste,
which obviously varies a lot, as shown by the recipes given. Simmer, and
enjoy. Plus, it is always fun to experiment and see if you can improve
it over the last batch. Good luck, and hope your parties are a huge
success (regardless of who wins). Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 4:15Â*pm, Frank Warner wrote:
In article
,

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.

I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or
stove top, either way.

Any ideas?

It's a little late to start this but here's my recipe for Snakebite
Chili, developed over many, many years of trial and effort. I've
already got four gallons made for Super Sunday:

Snakebite Chili

Chili Rub (recipe follows)
2-3 lb. Beef Shoulder
2-3 lb. Beef Tri-tip
2 lb. Pork Shoulder
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 c. Manteca lard (or 1/4 lb. pork fat or suet)
1 large Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. Â*Beef Broth
[...]

meat thermometer reads 120-130° F. Â*Marinate overnight as above..]

[...]

Jalapeño or Serrano chilies. Or (if too spicy), Å*well, if it's too
[...]

You are right!

Thanks anyway. I'll save it some other time, when I've got a lot of it
- time, that is. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Notes From An Inexperienced Chili Tester Named FRANK, who
was visiting
Texas from the East Coast: "Recently, I was honored to be
selected as a
judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in
sick at the last
moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's
table asking
directions to the beer wagon, when the call came.

I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that
the chili
wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me I
could have free
beer during the tasting. So I accepted."

Here are the scorecards from the event:

ROTFLMO and beer squirting out my nose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Chili Recipe? --Stormy

Good one Stormin. Got a good laugh out of it! Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

DT wrote:

How far beyond Cincinnati does Chili & Spaghetti go? * *We serve ours
on rice.

Syline Chili has restaurants in Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus and Toledo, and
apparently, a few in Florida.

Skyline is the only I've ever seen on spaghetti-- is that just their
thing, or do other parts of the world put chili on pasta?

Jim
[sounds weird-- but we do it once in a while for a change]

We've always put it on rice.

We also usually have cornbread on the side. *I'll be making a big tray
full Sunday morning.

Since it'll be Sunday morning, it's a perfect time to make popovers,
which I always start in a cold oven. By the time they're done, the
cornbread will be ready to go in.

I had a friend who liked pasta with his chili, that was OK but he also
put SWEET CREAM on it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 7:08*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Notes From An Inexperienced Chili Tester Named FRANK, who
was visiting
Texas from the East Coast: "Recently, I was honored to be
selected as a
judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in
sick at the last
moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's
table asking
directions to the beer wagon, when the call came.

I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that
the chili
wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me I
could have free
beer during the tasting. So I accepted."

Here are the scorecards from the event:

ROTFLMO and beer squirting out my nose.- Hide quoted text -

Last year I made chili for Super Bowl Sunday. I dont make it that hot
but I also serve a bowl of Peter Pepper relish with it for those who
want some extra heat. Many apologies to the guy who thought it was
salsa and dippped up a BIG scoop of it on his Doritos.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Saw that one years ago, and just as good now. I'm glad you
also enjoyed it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
Notes From An Inexperienced Chili Tester Named FRANK, who
was visiting
Texas from the East Coast: "Recently, I was honored to be

ROTFLMO and beer squirting out my nose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. Forwarded to me, many years ago. Still good. Sadly,
full of crude language. But, that's to be expected at such
an event.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Lp1331 1p1331" wrote in message
Good one Stormin. Got a good laugh out of it! Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please post photos of the salsa guy. To a free hosting site,
and then post (here) the link.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

Last year I made chili for Super Bowl Sunday. I dont make
it that hot
but I also serve a bowl of Peter Pepper relish with it for
those who
want some extra heat. Many apologies to the guy who thought
it was
salsa and dippped up a BIG scoop of it on his Doritos.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm from Texas. Chili is a religion.

"Colbyt" wrote:

4. Use dark red kidney beans and black beans. Mostly smash the kidneys.
Equal parts by pre-cooked weight of kidney beans and meat.

Beans in chili is heresy. "Chili" is short for chili con carne (chili with
meat), not chili con frijoles (chili with beans).

5. Buy a quality grade of ground chuck. No more than 15% fat.

Better yet, buy a chuck roast and cut it into 1" cubes. Braise the meat in
batches in the bottom of your chili pot. You want a good sear on the meat, but
it doesn't have to be cooked through. Do it batches small enough that there is
space between the pieces of meat. If you don't the meat will steam, not sear.
The sear generates a lot of flavor.

After you have seared the meat, leave it on a plate and toss in the onions and
peppers (if you'd like). Use the water generated by cooking them to scrape up
the fond (the brown bits on the pot from searing the meat). More flavor. When
the onions are transparent, toss the meat back in, add the other ingredients and
simmer for a few hours.

OK, that may be more work than you want, but it is good.

-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

This newsgroup is starting to sound like my ladies needlework club ;o)
Aren't there any big, brawny remodeling jobs going on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

Aren't there any big, brawny remodeling jobs going on?- Hide quoted text -

It won't sound like your ladies needlework club after we eat the
chili!

....or maybe it will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote the following:
I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.

I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or
stove top, either way.

Any ideas?

Get a bunch of cans of Campbell's Fire House Chili.
Don't serve it until the 3rd or 4th quarter. They won't know the
difference. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Add enough spices and hot peppers and you can make dog **** taste good.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 5:09*pm, willshak wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.

It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.

I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or
stove top, either way.

Any ideas?

Get a bunch of cans of Campbell's Fire House Chili.
Don't serve it until the 3rd or 4th quarter. They won't know the
difference. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Who's "they"?

This is for me! ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

This newsgroup is starting to sound like my ladies needlework club ;o)
Aren't there any big, brawny remodeling jobs going on?

Making good chili *is* a big, brawny job.
-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, we do need another taster, on the dog**** chili
contest. Free Mormon beer, too. Non alcoholic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

Add enough spices and hot peppers and you can make dog ****
taste good.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It seems every year this makes it's rounds and it still leaves me with my
sides hurting and eyes watering from laughing so hard.....