Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement finishing COMPLETED!!!

Sure, we are amateurs.
Sure, there are some areas that could be better.
Sure, it took almost 4 years to finish.
Sure we hired a contractor to do the drop ceiling. We know when we're
over our hrad.
Sure that contractor went crazy because my walls were not perfectly
plumb.
Sure I should have posted this a year and a half ago when it was
actually completed

Sure was worth it though! Criticize if you'd like, but I am very happy
with the finished product. I will try to get more photos but here you
go....lots of "along the way" photos for your viewing enjoyment.

My wife and I did everything except the electrical, soffits around the
HVAC, and the drop ceiling. It's not perfect, but that's okay. We get
lots of use and enjoyment from the space. I honestly thought I posted
this before, but I guess I forgot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169657.../1049931/show/

And we got a pool table for the room as well

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169657...80385595/show/

We will get a bar for the bump-out area at some point, but for now,
that is not a priority (since I have a beer fridge )

Thanks for looking!

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris (SilverUnicorn)" wrote in message
[...]

Great job...As long as you're happy to hell with what others say...Thanks
for posting back with the final product...Not many do...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 6:07*pm, "benick" wrote:
[...]

for posting back with the final product...Not many do...- Hide quoted text -

Looks great. What was the final finish of the floor, couldn't tell
from the photos? Good-looking pinball machines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 7:07*pm, "benick" wrote:
[...]

Thanks

We are enjoying it alot.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 9:01*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Feb 3, 6:07*pm, "benick" wrote:

[...]

from the photos? * Good-looking pinball machines.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you again.

The floor is Mohawk laminate flooring. Went together great, and was $2
per square foot.
Thanks for the comments on the pinball machines. I really enjoy them.
It's an expensive hobby though

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am just curious...., are the bottom plates under the studs pressure
treated lumber? They appear different in color than the studs. And how are
they anchored to the basement floor? I am curious because I am thinking of
doing a similar project and I am wondering what the correct way to do that
part of the construction is.

(along the bottom of the studs
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:18:49 -0800 (PST), "Chris (SilverUnicorn)"
wrote:

Sure we hired a contractor to do the drop ceiling. We know when we're
over our head.

Uh, we all are to do that job.

Good job for the rest of it though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

* (along the bottom of the studs"Chris (SilverUnicorn)" wrote in message

[...]

Chris- Hide quoted text -

The sill plates are pressure treated. We anchored them to the concrete
floor with Ramset fastners (powder charged).

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Sure we hired a contractor to do the drop ceiling. We know when we're
over our head.

Uh, we all are to do that job.

Good job for the rest of it though.

Thanks. Not sure what you meant in the first line though

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris (SilverUnicorn)" wrote in
:

On Feb 3, 9:01*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Feb 3, 6:07*pm, "benick" wrote:

"Chris (SilverUnicorn)" wrote in message

m..

.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169657...20780385595/sh
[...]

If you have the "Indian" machine that was at my tech college, I want your
address.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Looks great! It's huge. How many SF you got there? Now you have to get
some "pot passers" and "meat stabbers" for your "fancy eatin table"(:
You want an old Tx license plate- late 40s- early 50s- to add to your
collection? I have some-- a basment warming gift. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 5:18*pm, "Chris (SilverUnicorn)" wrote:
[...]

Awesome pictures. In one one of the pics, there were 2 guys and a
lady. I assume one guy and the lady were you and wifey. Was the
other guy from a show on the Food Network?

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

Looks great! It's huge. How many SF you got there?

Thanks Larry. It si about 850 square feet all together.

In one one of the pics, there were 2 guys and a
lady. I assume one guy and the lady were you and wifey. Was the
other guy from a show on the Food Network?

Yes, it is. I am not sure how that picture got in the mix, but it's
definately not in our basement, LOL. The picture is my wife and I with
Alton Brown from the Food Network (I am on the left, he is in the
middle). He is the host of "Good Eats" and "Iron Chef America". REALLY
nice guy.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris (SilverUnicorn) wrote:
On Feb 3, 10:08 pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
I am just curious...., are the bottom plates under the studs pressure
treated lumber? They appear different in color than the studs. And
how are
they anchored to the basement floor? I am curious because I am
thinking of
doing a similar project and I am wondering what the correct way to
do that
part of the construction is.

The sill plates are pressure treated. We anchored them to the concrete
floor with Ramset fastners (powder charged).

Thanks. I have heard people say that pressure treated lumber cannot be used
on indoors construction. But it would make sense to me to use pressure
treated for the sill plates along the bottom of walls in a basement since it
is in contact with the ground/cement.

I wonder about termite access, so that using pressure treated lumber seems
to be one way to help prevent that. Also, I wonder if there would be any
benefit to putting tar paper or another type of barrier between the sill
plate and the concrete floor. And, I wonder if the fasteners cause cracks
or potential access points for termites, and maybe some type of tar papaer
or other barrier would help in that regard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris (SilverUnicorn) wrote:
[...]

Hello old friend! Nice job and I was just waiting to see the pins of
course. If you hadn't heard I've been down in TN for about 5 years now.
Not many pins down here but when I visit PA I usually have a few jobs
lined up within a small group of *special* customers. Too bad you
learned how to fix your own, I can't make any money off you anymore!!!
;-) Glad to see you have such a nice basement and especially the pins
and the pool table! (pool table looks like very good quality)

Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris (SilverUnicorn) wrote:
On Feb 3, 10:08 pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
[...]

Back in the olden days, before inspectors even looked at the 'finishing'
in the basement, we often left the walls floating, counting on an
anchored end, an 'L' in the wall, or a buried lally column, to hold them
in place. Made later changes a lot easier. Not saying it was right, mind
you, but it was common, and seldom caused any problems. Of course,
basements were small then, and these were just dividing walls, not a
studded out outer wall. Nobody did that back then. They were also
paneling, not drywall, which was not used below grade when I was a wee
lad, leastways not that I ever saw.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 22:08:39 -0500, "Jay-T"
wrote:

I am just curious...., are the bottom plates under the studs pressure
treated lumber? They appear different in color than the studs. And how are
they anchored to the basement floor? I am curious because I am thinking of
doing a similar project and I am wondering what the correct way to do that
part of the construction is.

I used PT lumber on my concrete basement floor and against an
underground poured concrete wall. I used Liquid Nails and a minimum
of those expensive blue concrete screws, maybe one every 2-3 feet. I
constructed the walls on the floor (the job went faster this way, no
toe-nailing required and you are guaranteed the wall will be as flat
as the floor), then glued/screwed the wall into the ceiling joints,
bottom PT plate and PT wall studs.

Basement Finishing [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 1st 08 12:08 AM
basement finishing Gary Home Repair 1 August 11th 07 07:48 PM
finishing basement miker Home Repair 5 January 31st 07 02:57 PM
Finishing a Basement nateneu2424 Home Repair 6 August 6th 06 02:26 AM
Finishing a basement Chris Home Repair 1 February 25th 04 02:45 PM