Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default regluing veneer?

Hi all,

I just bought a used desk off Craigslist, appears to not be factory
made but a scratch built thing. It was advertised as "solid wood"
however I found it to actually have furniture grade plywood facings.
Not complaining mind you, as I bought it anyway - looks rather nice
and it's quite heavy and sturdy. There is one issue with the desk and
that is where one of the little veneer bands is glued to the edge of
the plywood, it's coming loose in the middle of the panel. I didn't
even notice until I got it home and moved indoors, so it's obviously
not a major problem, but I don't want to catch it and rip it off.
What's the best glue for this kind of repair? Regular wood glue, or
contact cement, or other?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 29, 10:10*am, N8N wrote:
Hi all,

I just bought a used desk off Craigslist, appears to not be factory
made but a scratch built thing. *It was advertised as "solid wood"
however I found it to actually have furniture grade plywood facings.
Not complaining mind you, as I bought it anyway - looks rather nice
and it's quite heavy and sturdy. *There is one issue with the desk and
that is where one of the little veneer bands is glued to the edge of
the plywood, it's coming loose in the middle of the panel. *I didn't
even notice until I got it home and moved indoors, so it's obviously
not a major problem, but I don't want to catch it and rip it off.
What's the best glue for this kind of repair? *Regular wood glue, or
contact cement, or other?

nate

Elmer's or Titebond II should work well. Work out your clamping system
first so that everything will be nice and snug while the glue sets up.
Application into the delaminated portion will be tricky...a large
hypodermic needle would be ideal, but some plastic squeeze bottles
could work.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in :

On Jan 29, 10:10 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

a large hypodermic needle

I've use these for many different things. Walmart has marinade injectors
that work fine. Cut the end off so the fluid comes out of the end vs the
side...unless that's what you want for your case.

As said, clamping (not just some books on it) is important.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search....y=7&Find=Find
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Ratchet straps was regluing veneer?

On Jan 29, 12:32*pm, Red Green wrote:
Joe wrote :

On Jan 29, 10:10 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...=0&ic=48_....-

clamping is not possible unless I use a ratchet strap around the whole
desk, but I do have lots of very heavy things

Speaking of which...

When I picked up the desk, I used some ratchet straps to help hold the
desk to my dolly because the single strap that is built into the dolly
is not very secure. I've used these straps maybe 2-3x before and one
of the ratchets is already NFG (stuck unlatched)

Does anyone make GOOD ratchet straps that I can leave in my truck and
can be sure that they'll work when I need them? I think I got these
out of a blister pack at Lowe's because that was what I could find
when I needed them. It seems to be really hard to find any ratchet
straps at all in a store, but I'm hesitant to order online for fear of
paying more for the exact same thing.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
Hi all,

I just bought a used desk off Craigslist, appears to not be factory
made but a scratch built thing. It was advertised as "solid wood"
however I found it to actually have furniture grade plywood facings.
Not complaining mind you, as I bought it anyway - looks rather nice
and it's quite heavy and sturdy. There is one issue with the desk and
that is where one of the little veneer bands is glued to the edge of
the plywood, it's coming loose in the middle of the panel. I didn't
even notice until I got it home and moved indoors, so it's obviously
not a major problem, but I don't want to catch it and rip it off.
What's the best glue for this kind of repair? Regular wood glue, or
contact cement, or other?

nate

Might have to steam it a bit to form it. We have used Gorilla Wood Glue
with great results...edge glued boards in the seat of a desk chair and
it holds my heavy husband very well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote in
:

On Jan 29, 12:32*pm, Red Green wrote:
Joe wrote
innews:0cf47ea2-171f-4a73-b982-37aae710e48b@g

1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

On Jan 29, 10:10 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...raint=0&ic=48_

...-

clamping is not possible unless I use a ratchet strap around the whole
desk, but I do have lots of very heavy things

Speaking of which...

When I picked up the desk, I used some ratchet straps to help hold the
desk to my dolly because the single strap that is built into the dolly
is not very secure. I've used these straps maybe 2-3x before and one
of the ratchets is already NFG (stuck unlatched)

Does anyone make GOOD ratchet straps that I can leave in my truck and
can be sure that they'll work when I need them? I think I got these
out of a blister pack at Lowe's because that was what I could find
when I needed them. It seems to be really hard to find any ratchet
straps at all in a store, but I'm hesitant to order online for fear of
paying more for the exact same thing.

nate

I picked up a pair of these many years ago. The uses I've found for them
over time is kick-ass. But they are not ratchet straps meant for loads on
a vehicle of course.

http://www.coastaltool.com/clamps_vi...band_clamp.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 10:10 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

http://www.coastaltool.com/clamps_vi...and_clamp.htm- Hide quoted text -

I've been using this style of tie downs for years.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/1x6hdr...oks-p-368.html

I believe I got mine at Home Depot.

They have a real ratcheting handle and a quick release feature. The
rubber coated hooks at both ends are strong enough for anything I've
used them for, including securing a riding mower in my enclosed
trailer.

I use eye hooks in my trailer or wrap the strap around a support and
hook the hook to the strap itself.

The 6' length of the motorcycle tie downs have handled everything I've
ever needed to secure, although I have hooked two straps together on
occasion for extra length.

(Don't trust the price on the website listed. I don't believe you'll
get a 48 piece case (24 sets) for $5.99. If you do, let me know!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote :

On Jan 29, 10:10 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

nate- Hide quoted text -

Once the glue is in, turn the desk on its side and put a flat board
under where the glue is located, with wax paper in between to keep the
dripping glue from sticking to the board. The whole weight of the
desk will be on that board, it should be enough to keep it in place
while the glue sets.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

http://www.coastaltool.com/clamps_vi...clamp.htm-Hide quoted text -

I've been using this style of tie downs for years.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/1x6hdr...oks-p-368.html

I believe I got mine at Home Depot.

They have a real ratcheting handle and a quick release feature. The
rubber coated hooks at both ends are strong enough for anything I've
used them for, including securing a riding mower in my enclosed
trailer.

I use eye hooks in my trailer or wrap the strap around a support and
hook the hook to the strap itself.

The 6' length of the motorcycle tie downs have handled everything I've
ever needed to secure, although I have hooked two straps together on
occasion for extra length.

(Don't trust the price on the website listed. I don't believe you'll
get a 48 piece case (24 sets) for $5.99. If you do, let me know!)

Those look very similar to the ones I have, although mine have red
straps rather than black and mine have some hard plastic coating on
the handles rather than being plain cad plated steel. I don't think
I've ever seen real ratchet straps at HD but I'll look again next time
I'm there...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 11:10*am, N8N wrote:
Hi all,

I just bought a used desk off Craigslist, appears to not be factory
made but a scratch built thing. *It was advertised as "solid wood"
however I found it to actually have furniture grade plywood facings.
Not complaining mind you, as I bought it anyway - looks rather nice
and it's quite heavy and sturdy. *There is one issue with the desk and
that is where one of the little veneer bands is glued to the edge of
the plywood, it's coming loose in the middle of the panel. *I didn't
even notice until I got it home and moved indoors, so it's obviously
not a major problem, but I don't want to catch it and rip it off.
What's the best glue for this kind of repair? *Regular wood glue, or
contact cement, or other?

nate

Before trying to add glue you might try heating the edge banding with
a household electric iron (set for linen). Many
edge bandings are pre-glued at the factory and will be reactivated
with the application of heat. If this works you won't have to clamp
it.

Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.coastaltool.com/clamps_vi...htm-Hidequoted text -

[...]

In fact, the handles on mine do indeed have the same black coating
that is on the hooks.

If I'm not mistaken, they came as 4 pack in one of those nuclear
fusion sealed plastic packages.

I'm pretty sure I also bought a band saw at Harbor Freight so I could
open the d*mn package.
Posted to alt.home.repair

GROVER wrote:
On Jan 29, 11:10 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

Can also hang together bar clamps across the top.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

http://www.coastaltool.com/clamps_vi...Hidequotedtext -

[...]

Heh, that sounds familiar

I ordered a flash drive a few days ago (Staples only sells 4 gig ones
and want $30 for them? no thank you! Driving through the parking lot
at Micro Center convinced me that I didn't want to be bothered going
inside. This is why people order online.) and it showed up
Wednesday. I was cussing because my pocketknife was not sharp enough
to cut the package open, nor was my chef's knife. I ended up having
to cut the edge off the package with metal shears. Seriously.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 10:10 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

You know, you can buy that plastic wrap that they wrap palleted
material in...the kind that sticks to itself. I have a roll at home
that I use every now and then for various things ranging from wrapping
2 x 4's for transport to holding ice on my softball-playing daughter's
knee. I think I paid like $2 for a roll that's been around for a year
or more.

I wonder when they'll make a consumer version of the nuclear fusion
sealed packaging material. I'm sure we'd find uses for it, even if it
was just to seal up a softball-playing daughter's cell phone when she
wises off. By the time she gets it open, we wouldn't be p*ssed off
anymore.

regluing stick-on tile AKA gray asphalt Home Repair 4 November 19th 07 01:50 AM
Help ID Veneer? Scott Hildenbrand Woodworking 11 February 7th 07 10:44 PM
Using my veneer trim or chamfer bits to make a veneer arris bent Woodworking 0 December 27th 06 04:00 AM
Oak Veneer Mike S Woodworking 2 July 20th 05 11:49 PM
Regluing old table L. Peter Stacey Woodworking 24 July 12th 05 01:22 AM