Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace; fire lights - no fan; #2 WITH PICS

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...6c2fcb8dc6a09#

Here are two pics of the furnace controls

http://cakebekensail.angelfire.com/index.html

Pic 1 shows something that looks like at temperature sensor.

Pic 3 is the works. Along with something that looks like a pressure
sensor, there is ther relay box. When I switch the fan off and on
with the stat upstairs, you hear a realy click in the unit.

Everything works fine except the delay fan operation. It never
engages. The fan is now set to run continously to procect the firebox.

I suspect the device shown in pic 1. Ideas? Hell I could replace all
the parts for what service would charge me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 7:02*pm, cate wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...hread/thread/2...

Here are two pics of the furnace controls

http://cakebekensail.angelfire.com/index.html

Pic 1 shows something that looks like at temperature sensor.

Pic 3 is the works. *Along with something that looks like a pressure
sensor, there is ther relay box. *When I switch the fan off and on
with the stat upstairs, you hear a realy click in the unit.

Everything works fine except the delay fan operation. *It never
engages. The fan is now set to run continously to procect the firebox.

I suspect the device shown in pic 1. *Ideas? *Hell I could replace all
the parts for what service would charge me.

http://www.high-performance-hvac.com...t-control.html
I going for it. I'll let you know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 8:02*pm, cate wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...hread/thread/2...

Here are two pics of the furnace controls

http://cakebekensail.angelfire.com/index.html

Pic 1 shows something that looks like at temperature sensor.

Pic 3 is the works. *Along with something that looks like a pressure
sensor, there is ther relay box. *When I switch the fan off and on
with the stat upstairs, you hear a realy click in the unit.

Everything works fine except the delay fan operation. *It never
engages. The fan is now set to run continously to procect the firebox.

I suspect the device shown in pic 1. *Ideas? *Hell I could replace all
the parts for what service would charge me.

As I said in my post in the other thread:

It sounds like the fan limit switch, which is what you have pictured
in pic #1.

If you remove the 2 screws you will find a "probe" that extends into
the plenum. It probably looks something like a big spring.

As it heats up (or cools down) it is supposed to turn the disk seen in
the picture and turn the blower on and off.

The dial should have three settings: On, Off and an over-temp setting
that closes the gas valve if the plenum air temp gets too high -
assuming it is working enough to do it's job.

You might be able to "fake" the device by moving the On setting tab
to a position where the blower comes on. If it does, then the fan
limit switch or the probe is either stuck or bad. As I'm sure you can
see, it's fairly easy to replace.

Do you have a humidifier on the furnace?

I did and once found that the probe was so caked with mineral deposits
that it couldn't do it's job anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That is the fan/limit switch. Jumper the red and blue wires and if the
blower comes on,the switch is your problem. The switches do not give a
whole lot of trouble, but they do fail, and replacement is easy. As I
said in the earlier thread, be sure and cut the little brass jumper at
the bottom of the switch, or you can/will fry most or all of the 24
volt components in the system. BTDT. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think I may have said Red and Blue , I meant Black and Blue wires --
leave the red alone! Sorry Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 8:20*pm, (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:
That is the fan/limit switch. Jumper the red and blue wires and if the
blower comes on,the switch is your problem. The switches do not give a
whole lot of trouble, but they do fail, and replacement is easy. As I
said in the earlier thread, be sure and cut the little brass jumper at
the bottom of the switch, or you can/will *fry most or all of the 24
volt components in the system. BTDT. *Larry

As I look at this fan switch, I see that the wires attach at 4
positions. nw, ne, se and southwest (north being straight up). What
points of the rose do I short to turn the fan on. I got a little
confused about the wire color references.
Thanks, you've all been a lot of help. Long live home repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 8:56*am, cate wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:20*pm, (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:

That is the fan/limit switch. Jumper the red and blue wires and if the
blower comes on,the switch is your problem. The switches do not give a
whole lot of trouble, but they do fail, and replacement is easy. As I
said in the earlier thread, be sure and cut the little brass jumper at
the bottom of the switch, or you can/will *fry most or all of the 24
volt components in the system. BTDT. *Larry

As I look at this fan switch, I see that the wires attach at 4
positions. *nw, ne, se and southwest *(north being straight up). *What
points of the rose do I short to turn the fan on. *I got a little
confused about the wire color references.
Thanks, you've all been a lot of help. *Long live home repair.

Have you tried to adjust the On limit to make the blower turn on at a
much lower setting - like whatever temp the plenum is at right now?

If your limit switch is anything like the ones I've dealt with, it's a
mechanical device that simply closes contacts when the metal in the
plenum probe expands and contracts, turning the dial so the the
adjustment tabs physically close the contacts. There's no real
"electronics" involved.

If you adjust the On setting so that it physically closes the contacts
you'll have the short you are looking for and you'll know that the
limit switch is the culprit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 8:19*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 29, 8:56*am, cate wrote:

[...]

It says push (or pull) for on. The "wheel" can be pushed in. I did
so-- no fan.
I'll move the on setting to a very low value and check it out.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

The left side of the switch is marked "fan" and the right side "limit",
The switch justs connects the two wires on the left internally and
completes the circuit to the fan. The two wires on the right side are
connected internally until the temperature reaches the high limit safety
setting and the switch opens the circuit, cutting power to the gas
valve. If you look closely at the very bottom center of the switch you
should see where the brass jumper was that I mentioned that needs to be
cut on the new switch. Larry