Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair Glass Window with existing Grid ?

I have a 45 x 28 inch window that the seal is broken. It is a double
pain glass in a wooden frame that has a grid which divides the window
up into 6 sections. Would like to use the same frame and grid so it
matches other windows. Can this be done? I had one glass guy look at
it and he said it could get a close match to the grid used but not
identical. Thus he was going to just purchase a dual pane window with
a new grid. Where would I find someone who could use the existing
grid so the window will look the same as others on the house. Will
glass manufactures do this type of work?

Any ideas, thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 6:32*pm, Albert wrote:
I have a 45 x 28 inch window that the seal is broken. *It is a double
pain glass in a wooden frame that has a grid which divides the window
up into 6 sections. *Would like to use the same frame and grid so it
matches other windows. *Can this be done? *I had one glass guy look at
it and he said it could get a close match to the grid used but not
identical. Thus he was going to just purchase a dual pane window with
a new grid. *Where would I find someone who could use the existing
grid so the window will look the same as others on the house. *Will
glass manufactures do this type of work?

Any ideas, thanks.

Are you saying the grid is located between two PANES of glass? And,
are you saying that they were a sealed unit under vacuum or filled
with an inert gas and that now the seal is broken so that the glass is
cloudy in the formerly sealed area between the two panes? You can
try your local yellow pages and may be lucky to find someone who can
reuse your grid and make up a new sealed unit. Or, you may have to
send the grid to a more distant location to have it incorporated into
a new sealed unit. All depends on where you are located. I had a
local glass company get me some custom-sized sealed units to go into
some existing windows that I did not want to replace. It took a
couple of weeks because they sent the work out, but they did a good
job and the new units have not lost their seal in 10 years.
Incorporating your existing grid in a new custom window won't be cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:10:27 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jan 28, 6:32Â*pm, Albert wrote:
I have a 45 x 28 inch window that the seal is broken. Â*It is a double
pain glass in a wooden frame that has a grid which divides the window
up into 6 sections. Â*Would like to use the same frame and grid so it
matches other windows. Â*Can this be done? Â*I had one glass guy look at
it and he said it could get a close match to the grid used but not
identical. Thus he was going to just purchase a dual pane window with
a new grid. Â*Where would I find someone who could use the existing
grid so the window will look the same as others on the house. Â*Will
[...]

Doesn't have to be any more expensive than a new window with a new
grid. Some window manufacturers will do it, others won't - when I
worked for a window company a few years back we had a supplier that
would even put old stained glass into sealed units at a very
reasonable cost.