Default New window for existing home

I would like to add a small window (roughly 2'x 2'). Is there a window
designed for this type of job that doesn't have an exterior flange so
that I can cut the siding flush with the rough opening and not have to
replace it? The opening I envision would be pretty tight so that caulk
could fill the gap between the window and siding. I'd prefer not to
fill the gap with little pieces of siding or use exterior trim around
the window since others don't. Finally, I'm looking for a window under
$200 and since the others are Milgard vinyl I'd prefer to stick with
something similar.

Thanks,

John

Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to add a small window (roughly 2'x 2'). Is there a window
designed for this type of job that doesn't have an exterior flange so
that I can cut the siding flush with the rough opening and not have to
replace it? The opening I envision would be pretty tight so that caulk
could fill the gap between the window and siding. I'd prefer not to
fill the gap with little pieces of siding or use exterior trim around
the window since others don't. Finally, I'm looking for a window under
$200 and since the others are Milgard vinyl I'd prefer to stick with
something similar.

Thanks,

John

Probably not exactly as you described it.

Most likely and within your budget with a little more work. More information
required.

What kind of siding do you have?

First or second floor?

Do you want a fixed glass or something you can open?

Colbyt

I have cedar siding that I just put on two years ago (wish I did it
then). Window is on the second floor, although I can get to it if I'm
careful. I would prefer to have one that opens outward with a crank.
Thanks.

Colbyt

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have cedar siding that I just put on two years ago (wish I did it
then). Window is on the second floor, although I can get to it if I'm
careful. I would prefer to have one that opens outward with a crank.
Thanks.

Without the proper flashing the window will always be a leak waiting to
happen.

Did you replace your windows at the same time as the siding?

Is the normal horizontal lap siding?

Can you post a picture of an existing window? Kodak has a free site.

Colbyt

I talked to some local window experts. I've decided to cut back the
siding so that I can install it with the flashing. I don't want to
risk leaks or compromise the integrity of the window. I'll either use
a trim piece or patch the siding. Thanks.