Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shim an existing vinyl replacement window

We moved into a house where the existing vinyl windows were not
installed correctly. Wind comes in between the window and the
casing. On one window, the top one falls down as soon as it is
unlocked. I have already tightened the adjustor screws as much as
possible, but it is not enough. I believe the only way is to shim the
window. I am looking for the best/easiest way to do this. I am up
for any ideas. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 16, 3:52 pm, wrote:
We moved into a house where the existing vinyl windows were not
installed correctly. Wind comes in between the window and the
casing. On one window, the top one falls down as soon as it is
unlocked. I have already tightened the adjustor screws as much as
possible, but it is not enough. I believe the only way is to shim the
window. I am looking for the best/easiest way to do this. I am up
for any ideas. Thanks

Do you have a complete vinyl window assembly or just vinyl replacement
sashes? The problem you described sounds like poorly installed
replacement sashes. Trying to improve the situation may be nearly
impossible by jiggering the framing. Consider getting some quotes from
a reputable contractor for remedies, then decide the best cpourse of
action. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
| We moved into a house where the existing vinyl windows were not
| installed correctly. Wind comes in between the window and the
| casing. On one window, the top one falls down as soon as it is
| unlocked. I have already tightened the adjustor screws as much as
| possible, but it is not enough.

try backing off the top screws
if the screws are to tight
the window WILL fall

I believe the only way is to shim the
| window. I am looking for the best/easiest way to do this. I am up
| for any ideas. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I will try backing off the top screws. Also, I believe they
are the complete assemblies. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 17, 8:31 am, wrote:
Also, I believe they
are the complete assemblies.

That being the case, try to determine the manufacturer and ask their
customer service for the installation guide/directions. Likewise,
check out window assemblies at Pella. Andersen, showrooms and displays
at the box stores. You could score a match that way and get some
literature that would help. If your windows were flange-nailed types,
you may have to remove inside trim and fill open cavities with
insulation and/or latex foam. In the worst case, exterior trim and
even siding may have to be removed to install proper flashing. It will
be a learning process, but most commercial windows these days are well
refined products so your odds for success are good. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Joe. However, it appears to me that the person who installed
just bought windows that were 1/2" too small. It seems that when he
screwed the window frame to the house, it pulled the frame away from
the actual window. That would account for the 1/8" gap between the
window and the frame. To be sure I am explaining this correctly, I
uploaded a picture of the window he http://www.flickr.com/photos/41436756@N00/393021771/
Thanks again for your help Joe!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

If he did what you aid, the frame would be bowed in the middle or separated
at corners. Is it possible that some insulating strips are missing that go
between window and frame channels.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Joe. However, it appears to me that the person who installed
just bought windows that were 1/2" too small. It seems that when he
screwed the window frame to the house, it pulled the frame away from
the actual window. That would account for the 1/8" gap between the
window and the frame. To be sure I am explaining this correctly, I
uploaded a picture of the window he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41436756@N00/393021771/
Thanks again for your help Joe!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, I decided to see what I could do by taking off the strip of
moulding on either side of the front of the window. Turns out there
was about 1/2" of empty space on either side. The screws holding in
the window were never tightened enough to bow the window. I ripped 2
1/2" pieces from a 2x4 and slid them on either side of the window.
That worked perfectly, allowing me to tighten the adjuster screws in
the middle of the window. The adjusters did not work before because
they never made it to the window casing! Thanks for all the advice.
It's great to have a place like this to turn to for a little help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

1/2 inch is not that far off but the screws should have been thru shimms
that took up the gap where the screws were. Hopefully the windows were
flashed properly otherwise they won't last. Visit Pella windows site for
instructions on window installation. Valuable info that applies to all
windows.