Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace wall heater cover

At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I have posted a picture of the cruddy, rusted
cover of my ancient gas wall heater. The other
side opens into the hall past the open door.
..
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

TIA

Hypatia
Posted to alt.home.repair

.
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. *I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

TIA

Hypatia

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchan...egory_Code=HEQ

If oyu have a local shop that can strip the paint & phosphate coat,
you'll be already for spray primer & paint

or

go with powder coating, just be sure to tell the stripper you plan on
a powder coat.

either way you choose do solve this it'll be money or time spent

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 11:36*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I have posted a picture of the cruddy, rusted
cover of my ancient gas wall heater. *The other
side opens into the hall past the open door.
.
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. *I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

TIA

Hypatia

DD showed you the link and gave you good advice on cleaning it up.

or do it yourself:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I have posted a picture of the cruddy, rusted
cover of my ancient gas wall heater. The other
side opens into the hall past the open door.
.
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

I'd sandblast it, then paint it with automotive "touch-up" primer and paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If by some chance you ever found a used one that would work, it would
most likely look worse than the one you have, and if the mfg. of yours
is still around and has a new one, it would likely cost as much as a new
heater. If you have a Habitat / ReStore, or similar,in your area, it
still wouldn't hurt to browse. You just might get lucky. Otherwise, the
easiest and cheapest thing would probably to do as the others have
suggested. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 25, 10:36*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I have posted a picture of the cruddy, rusted
cover of my ancient gas wall heater. *The other
side opens into the hall past the open door.
.
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. *I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

TIA

Hypatia

Some automotive machine shops have glass bead blasters that won't
pucker up the louvers like a sand blaster. After that, Rustoleum
primer and topcoat ought to make it look like new. If there is a heat
issue with the paint, consider the high heat paints available at auto
speed shops, for example.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:36:56 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson
wrote:

At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I'm really curious, so I'll ask. Does this heater work?!

If not, I have some ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I have posted a picture of the cruddy, rusted
cover of my ancient gas wall heater. The other
side opens into the hall past the open door.
.
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

TIA

You do realize that if you make the heater look nice and new, you're
gonna have to fix that big crack in the wall, and the little cracks too,
then give the whole wall and trim a fresh paint job?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I have posted a picture of the cruddy, rusted
cover of my ancient gas wall heater. The other
side opens into the hall past the open door.
.
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

TIA

You do realize that if you make the heater look nice and new, you're
gonna have to fix that big crack in the wall, and the little cracks too,
then give the whole wall and trim a fresh paint job?

you want the easy way to do it?

Get yourself some EZ-off oven cleaner. Not that fume free stuff, the
"take your oven outdoors before cleaning or it'll kill ya" stuff.
Remove cover. Hose down with oven cleaner. Let sit. Rinse. That'll
get it good and clean, and hopefully take all the paint off. If it
didn't, go to the auto parts store and get some paint stripper in a
spray can. Repeat same process as with oven cleaner. (outdoors,
obviously.) Now it'll be bare metal, although possibly rusty.

Now take an old plastic trash can, a piece of rebar or other scrap
steel, some washing soda, and an old battery charger or low voltage
power supply.

Follow procedure he

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

Now clean, prime, and paint (quickly; that freshly derusted clean steel
will flash rust very fast.) I'd recommend spray primer and paint for
that application; brushed paint won't look right.

I've used this method on many really hideous looking car parts and they
always come out looking far better than you'd expect.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 8:36*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I have posted a picture of the cruddy, rusted
cover of my ancient gas wall heater. *The other
side opens into the hall past the open door.
.
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. *I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

TIA

Hypatia

Thanks to all for great suggestions. After I posted,
I went back on-line and found a vertical heater cover
for over $170 EACH. As others have noted, no
guarantee it would fit such an old heater.

To the person who asked if it works: Yes, fine,
but those wall heaters send the heat up to the
ceiling, whence it slowly descends into the room.
I tried using a deflecter way back when, with dubious
results.

When I bought the place, it had floor heaters that
really threw ou the heat! But after a fire, I had them taken
out to gain more floor space and replaced w/wall
heater. In retrospect, a mixed blessing.

I only use the heater on the coldest day in our So. Cal. "winter",
Most of the time I use small portable electric heaters. Does push
up
the elec. bill, but doesn't dry out the air like gas does.

The rust on top doesn't show in the pic; that's from
placing water vessels on top to humidify room air.

About those cracks, ya caught me ... I should have zoomed in
so they don't show g. This being earthquake country,
we're always getting little shocks between the big ones, so there are
always
cracks to fill, inside and out.

Thanks for the excellent advice, both DIY and carry-in.
I feel encouraged to actually tackle the damn job instead of hating it
for years.

Hypatia

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 6:27*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I did my the return air register "by hand", it didnt have any heavy
rust and its only 20 x 25 so it was a lot less work.
I washed with with soap & water and then "sanded" it with a medium
Scotch-Brite. Followed that with spray primer and a flat black paint.

If oyu have a lots of heavy rust (material missing) I would suggest
commercial sandblasting or caustic strip followed by the phosphate
coating and paint.

Let us know how it works out.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:27:21 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson
wrote:

I only use the heater on the coldest day in our So. Cal. "winter",

Near San Diego? There is a BIG architectural salvage store (near a new
stadium?) I visited the store and killed a couple of hours. Maybe mail
a pic to them and they might check their stock.

The name escapes me, but look for the oldest/largest salvage store in
SD.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I only use the heater on the coldest day in our So. Cal. "winter",

Near San Diego? There is a BIG architectural salvage store (near a new
stadium?) I visited the store and killed a couple of hours. Maybe mail
a pic to them and they might check their stock.

The name escapes me, but look for the oldest/largest salvage store in
SD.

Ah, Sandy Eggo. Been there 2-3 times. Lovely city, climate to die for,
traffic from hell. All the government-rate hotels in a little hotel
ghetto, where you can't get ANYWHERE without driving.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I have posted a picture of the cruddy, rusted
cover of my ancient gas wall heater. The other
side opens into the hall past the open door.
.
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

TIA

Hypatia

I like the baseball cap on the website, I think I may get one.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I have posted a picture of the cruddy, rusted
cover of my ancient gas wall heater. The other
side opens into the hall past the open door.
.
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

TIA

Hypatia

I like the baseball cap on the website, I think I may get one.

Sort of looks like that Earl character, or is that you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
At this URL:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vujyms&s=6

I have posted a picture of the cruddy, rusted
cover of my ancient gas wall heater. The other
side opens into the hall past the open door.
.
Have HATED the looks of it for years, but
It doesn't seem worth trying to clean and
de-rust it. I bought the proper paint months
ago, but haven't got around to DOING
something.

Anybody know of a source for this type
of Golden Oldie wall heater cover?

TIA

Hypatia

I like the baseball cap on the website, I think I may get one.

Sort of looks like that Earl character, or is that you?

Naaa, Earl would post a picture of his butt, or is that his brother
Randy who he could talk into doing it?

TDD