Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much a clothes dryer cost to use?

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Worked fine for me. FF 3.whatever, with ad-blocker. You don't have that
silly-ass Google Toolbar running, do you?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:50:12 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Worked fine for me. FF 3.whatever, with ad-blocker. You don't have that
silly-ass Google Toolbar running, do you?

I am using FF with no Google toolbar. I was using Google to find the
page. That is interesting.....I can click on the link I posted and I
get no ads.

If you search for "dryer costs" and follow the link, Google is posting
smart ads on the page.

Guess it is time to use another search engine.

It is a shame too. Google started out doing things right, and has
"improved" itself right into the toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Worked fine for me. FF 3.whatever, with ad-blocker. You don't have that
silly-ass Google Toolbar running, do you?

I am using FF with no Google toolbar. I was using Google to find the
page. That is interesting.....I can click on the link I posted and I
get no ads.

If you search for "dryer costs" and follow the link, Google is posting
smart ads on the page.

Guess it is time to use another search engine.

It is a shame too. Google started out doing things right, and has
"improved" itself right into the toilet.

Still worked fine for me. Recommend downloading and installing the
AdBlocker+ extension for FF. I love it. Barely see any ads at all. And
no frigging pop-up and pop-over ads, which used to make me crazy on
newspaper sites.

(of course, if we ALL block ads, people will quit buying ad space, and a
lot of these free sites will have to go to a pay-for-access business
model. But I'll worry about that when it happens.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Worked fine for me. FF 3.whatever, with ad-blocker. You don't have that
silly-ass Google Toolbar running, do you?

I am using FF with no Google toolbar. I was using Google to find the
page. That is interesting.....I can click on the link I posted and I
get no ads.

If you search for "dryer costs" and follow the link, Google is posting
smart ads on the page.

Guess it is time to use another search engine.

It is a shame too. Google started out doing things right, and has
"improved" itself right into the toilet.

I didn't sign up for this, but some how this seems to be enabled on my
computer

https://www.google.com/adsense/login/en_US/

Now with a little help from Google, I will have to figure out how to
get rid of the crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

If exist error level "1"

Go to:

Add remove programs

If exist Google Trash

EXIT

... no wait.

A program jumped onto your computer?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"I get rid of google crap with a little help from my
friends"
Lennon and McCartney, 2010.
Abby Road Records.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

I didn't sign up for this, but some how this seems to be
enabled on my
computer

https://www.google.com/adsense/login/en_US/

Now with a little help from Google, I will have to figure
out how to
get rid of the crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

The simple way to be rid of the crap is http://altavista.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Worked fine for me. FF 3.whatever, with ad-blocker. You don't have that
silly-ass Google Toolbar running, do you?

I am using FF with no Google toolbar. I was using Google to find the
page. That is interesting.....I can click on the link I posted and I
get no ads.

Isn't FF great! Sometimes I actually forget that some people still see
pop up adds. It's been so long since I've seen them I forget what a
pain in the ass pop up ads can be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much pop up ads?

Try www.snopes.com and see if you can get rid of the Netflix
and the two or three other pop ups. That site is really bad.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
I am using FF with no Google toolbar. I was using Google
to find the
page. That is interesting.....I can click on the link I
posted and I
get no ads.

Isn't FF great! Sometimes I actually forget that some
people still see
pop up adds. It's been so long since I've seen them I
forget what a
pain in the ass pop up ads can be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Try www.snopes.com and see if you can get rid of the Netflix
and the two or three other pop ups. That site is really bad.

I just looked around the site for a couple minutes and didn't see any
ads, pop up or otherwise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Worked fine for me. FF 3.whatever, with ad-blocker. You don't have that
silly-ass Google Toolbar running, do you?

I have the silly-ass Google toolbar running and the page looks fine to
me in IE8something. [there are still Google smart ads running-- but
that's because the page owner is getting paid by Google to put them
there.]

I am using FF with no Google toolbar. I was using Google to find the
page. That is interesting.....I can click on the link I posted and I
get no ads.

I still get the ads clicking on the link-- but they are unobtrusive
along the right hand margin.

If you search for "dryer costs" and follow the link, Google is posting
smart ads on the page.

Page looks the same to me whether I follow your link or a Google
search result link.

Guess it is time to use another search engine.

I just tried the page through Yahoo- it took 20 seconds instead of
3-- and the page looks exactly the same. Those ads are part of the
page-- and have nothing to do with how you get there.

It is a shame too. Google started out doing things right, and has
"improved" itself right into the toilet.

I think they've just gotten big enough that it is fashionable to blame
them for everything. They aren't perfect but as businesses go you
could do much worse.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Worked fine for me. FF 3.whatever, with ad-blocker. You don't have that
silly-ass Google Toolbar running, do you?

I have the silly-ass Google toolbar running and the page looks fine to
me in IE8something. [there are still Google smart ads running-- but
that's because the page owner is getting paid by Google to put them
there.]

I am using FF with no Google toolbar. I was using Google to find the
page. That is interesting.....I can click on the link I posted and I
get no ads.

I still get the ads clicking on the link-- but they are unobtrusive
along the right hand margin.

I don't mind ads on the page. This ad covers the chart info. There
is no way to see behind it.

If you search for "dryer costs" and follow the link, Google is posting
smart ads on the page.

Page looks the same to me whether I follow your link or a Google
search result link.

Guess it is time to use another search engine.

I just tried the page through Yahoo- it took 20 seconds instead of
3-- and the page looks exactly the same. Those ads are part of the
page-- and have nothing to do with how you get there.

It is a shame too. Google started out doing things right, and has
"improved" itself right into the toilet.

I think they've just gotten big enough that it is fashionable to blame
them for everything. They aren't perfect but as businesses go you
could do much worse.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I don't mind ads on the page. This ad covers the chart info. There
is no way to see behind it.

Only ads I see are click on ads on the left hand side. They don't cover
anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 5:50*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Worked fine for me. FF 3.whatever, with ad-blocker. You don't have that
silly-ass Google Toolbar running, do you?

--
aem sends...

Works with my FF too.

BTW Does Mr. Electricity = Tiny Tim?

http://michaelbluejay.com/photos/thu.../hippiebiz.jpg
http://listverse.files.wordpress.com...-casket-tm.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:31:35 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

BTW Does Mr. Electricity = Tiny Tim?

http://michaelbluejay.com/photos/thu.../hippiebiz.jpg
http://listverse.files.wordpress.com...-casket-tm.jpg

LMAO
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Interesting. In one place they say a gas dryer is $.02 per load cheaper than
electric. Then lower down, they say buy a gas dryer because it saves $.06 per
load. Proofread anyone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 6:23*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Interesting. In one place they say a gas dryer is $.02 per load cheaper than
electric. Then lower down, they say buy a gas dryer because it saves $.06 per
load. Proofread anyone?

Could the .06 figure be the per load difference on a strictly load to
load energy usage comparison while the .02 difference includes the
original cost of the dryers in the calculation?

The last time I checked, gas dryers were more expensive, so if you
factor in the cost difference over the life of the units, the savings
per load would be less than with just a "energy used" per load
calculation.

I'm just guessing...

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Jan 25, 4:40*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 25, 6:23*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Interesting. In one place they say a gas dryer is $.02 per load cheaper than
electric. Then lower down, they say buy a gas dryer because it saves $.06 per
load. Proofread anyone?

Could the .06 figure be the per load difference on a strictly load to
load energy usage comparison while the .02 difference includes the
original cost of the dryers in the calculation?

The last time I checked, gas dryers were more expensive, so if you
factor in the cost difference over the life of the units, the savings
per load would be less than with just a "energy used" per load
calculation.

I'm just guessing...

Green clothesline air drying is way cheaper per load. Of course, here
is Colorado during the winter, You pay extra to defrost your clothes
after they dry outdoors....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 6:40*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 25, 6:23*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Interesting. In one place they say a gas dryer is $.02 per load cheaper than
electric. Then lower down, they say buy a gas dryer because it saves $.06 per
load. Proofread anyone?

Could the .06 figure be the per load difference on a strictly load to
load energy usage comparison while the .02 difference includes the
original cost of the dryers in the calculation?

The last time I checked, gas dryers were more expensive, so if you
factor in the cost difference over the life of the units, the savings
per load would be less than with just a "energy used" per load
calculation.

I'm just guessing...

Depends on the cost of gas at the time. It has been more expensive to
use gas.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wor[Google]ked fi[Google]ne for m[Google]e. I h[Google]ave
simpl[Google]y n[Google]o pro[Google]blems w[Google]ith
G[Google]oogle inte[Google]rfering wi[Google]th
an[Google]ything I d[Google]o. Per[Google]haps ther[Google]e
is so[Google]mething wr[Google]ong, l[Google]ike
ma[Google]ybe de[Google]lete y[Google]our co[Google]okies?

--
Ch[Google]ristopher A[Google]. You[Google]ng
Learn more about [Google]

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has [Google] hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information
and I see no
way to close it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/10 2:41 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Are you talking about the google ad on the left hand side? If I shrink
my Internet Explorer window enough the google ad covers the left side of
the table. How wide is your screen and/or what resolution is it set to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:09:26 -0800, Ned Flanders
wrote:

On 1/25/10 2:41 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Are you talking about the google ad on the left hand side? If I shrink
my Internet Explorer window enough the google ad covers the left side of
the table. How wide is your screen and/or what resolution is it set to?

That could be it. I use a very large font. It really screws up the
display at wiki, but I need it large to read it. I do have reading
glasses, but I try everything I can to keep from using them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

If you expand your browser window to full screen in width (may have to
disable "Favorites"), you can see the whole thing.

The problem is, at least partially, poor page design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer writes:

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Is it just my browser or has Google hijacked the web page?

The Google ad covers the chart that shows the information and I see no
way to close it.

Note that the calculations are highly dependent on regional energy
costs.
Where I live, electricity is $.177/kWh and gas is $1.366/Therm. So, that
translates into:
58.4 cents for electric
33.8 cents for gas

Now, per one of the consumer sites, a gas dryer typically costs an
extra $50. (Also installation costs may vary depending on whether you
already have gas or 220v available etc.).

So for me the payback would be about 200 loads which is probably about
year or so in our family.

In truth, when we added a new 1st floor laundry room, we put in a gas
dryer but we left the old electric dryer (and washer) still hooked up in
the basement. We now end up using both simultaneously to speeed up
laundry time.

During the winter, we have started venting our electric dryer inside the
basement (with a lint trap) so that we recapture the heat. The moisture
is actually beneficial since during the winter the basement humidity is
around 27%. We always vent the gas dryer outside for safety
reasons. Also, it's one thing to dump a little moisture and laundry
smell in an unfinished basement but we don't want to do that on our
finished first floor.

So, during the winter, it may be arguable more efficient to use the
electric dryer since we end up recapturing all of the heat in the
basement which presumably displaces some heating load from our furnaces.