Asimov

Default GE clothes dryer not hot

"DaveC" bravely wrote to "All" (14 Aug 05 23:32:15)
--- on the heady topic of "GE clothes dryer not hot"

If the drier is okay then the other possibility is that the line is
missing 1 phase. Measure each phase voltage to common/ground at the
terminal block. Because the 2 elements are shared across each 120V
phase, the medium setting might get 120V alright but the high setting
also only gets 120V. This could be due to an open fuse/relay or wire,
either at the main electrical box, or terminal block, plug, etc...

A*s*i*m*o*v

Da From: DaveC
Da Xref: core-easynews uk.d-i-y:498519 alt.home.repair:644380
Da sci.electronics.repair:339721

Da This GE dryer (USA 240v model) has 4 heat settings: Hi, Medium, Low,
Da Fluff (no heat). It also has a moisture-monitoring setting ("More Dry"
Da and "Less Dry").

Da I presume the way 3 heat settings are accomplished is through the use
Da of 2 different wattage heater elements. For example, Low =3d 1000w
Da element; Medium =3d 1500w element; High =3d both elements.

Da There is now one heat setting: medium. All the settings of the heat
Da switch result in the same medium heat.

Da The filter screen is clean and the airflow out of the vent hose (I
Da disconnected it and checked the flow) is unchanged from a year ago
Da (the last time I remember checking it out). Mains voltage verified. No
Da overheating external connections.

Da How is it possible for the dryer to fail in a mode that results in
Da only medium heat?

Da Just trying to get a few ideas before opening it up.

Da GE model DBXR453ET3WW

Da Thanks,

.... I worked hard to attach the electrodes to it.

Sam Goldwasser

If it uses fuses, most likely is that one of the two fuses blew.
First check the fuses. My cousin has a drier that does that periodically
even though nothing is wrong with it and the fuses are sized correctly.

"Asimov" writes:

[...]

Da of 2 different wattage heater elements. For example, Low = 1000w
Da element; Medium = 1500w element; High = both elements.

Da There is now one heat setting: medium. All the settings of the heat
Da switch result in the same medium heat.

Da The filter screen is clean and the airflow out of the vent hose (I
Da disconnected it and checked the flow) is unchanged from a year ago
Da (the last time I remember checking it out). Mains voltage verified. No
Da overheating external connections.

Da How is it possible for the dryer to fail in a mode that results in
Da only medium heat?

Da Just trying to get a few ideas before opening it up.

Da GE model DBXR453ET3WW

Da Thanks,

... I worked hard to attach the electrodes to it.

Mike W.

If you can open up the back to get to the elements, a visual check will tell
you quickly is one is open. That is the most common problem. You say it has
4 heat settings, so there must be a switch or a set of buttons to control
that. Those should be checked if the elements prove to be OK.

"Asimov" wrote in message
"DaveC" bravely wrote to "All" (14 Aug 05 23:32:15)
--- on the heady topic of "GE clothes dryer not hot"

If the drier is okay then the other possibility is that the line is
missing 1 phase. Measure each phase voltage to common/ground at the
terminal block. Because the 2 elements are shared across each 120V
phase, the medium setting might get 120V alright but the high setting
also only gets 120V. This could be due to an open fuse/relay or wire,
either at the main electrical box, or terminal block, plug, etc...

A*s*i*m*o*v

Plague Boy

"DaveC" bravely wrote to "All" (14 Aug 05 23:32:15)
--- on the heady topic of "GE clothes dryer not hot"

"GE clothes dryer not so hot"

Gee, that Magic 8-Ball knows *everything*!

I'll ask it about Apex DVD players next.....

--
PB
"Fresh windows units enter the internet backwards, bent