Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical math - ground rods

Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Jan 23, 1:34*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
* * - plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
* * - equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. *Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

ok, now lets see you use the drill to get them out in five minutes....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

We use sledge hammers

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

We use sledge hammers

with pipes as handles so we can use them like a post pounder until
the top of the rod gets close to the ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

*I have been using a rotary hammer for many years now except that I have
ground rod driver bits to go in the rotary hammers. You got lucky with your
soil conditions. In some spots I hit shale and it is very slow going in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 3:34*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
* * - plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
* * - equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. *Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Push them in the ground with a backhoe

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Through sheer force of will.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Some elections drive them with sledge hammers until they hit a rock. Then
cut them off. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Through sheer force of will.

Jon

A drive pipe, and young stupid junior employees they wanted to keep busy
and out of their hair. (DAMHIKT. BTDT, etc.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Hmmm,
Cave men used power of water and patience even drill a hole thru
hard rock. Now you can test the quality of the ground rod by
connecting a 120V lamp between hot and it. If the lamp lights
up bright?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ok, now lets see you use the drill to get them out in five minutes....

True story helped a old friend widen his driveway, till we hit the
ground rod system a couple feet from the house. He reported the
electrician was unable to drive rod closer to home, supposedly metal
trash buried in area. Quite possible since it a old farm house.

I said no problem we will drive new ground rods just behind house.

he inssted he wanted to pull and reuse the ground rods and copper
wire. The copper ground wire was aleady beat up from our digging
around it

So I said you pull the rods, and redrive them then I will help finish
the widening.

That was about 3 years ago the job hasnt progressed at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
JIMMIE wrote in news:6dfd10fb-ee07-44f3-88b4-

(snip)

Got a Harbor Freight coupon for one of those?

Chuckle. Gotta love those coupons. I've got 7 of the little flashlights
so far.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Some elections drive them with sledge hammers until they hit a rock. Then
cut them off. WW
Make that electricians. Should read before sending. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

how do you attach that 5/8" rod to a 1/2" chuck?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

how do you attach that 5/8" rod to a 1/2" chuck?

Using a DT adapter Steve. With all your skills and experience, I'm
surprised by your Q. The adapter is made by 3M. If you can't use baking
soda for something, try duct tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

We use sledge hammers

with pipes as handles so we can use them like a post pounder until the
top of the rod gets close to the ground.

I pounded two ground rods each at 10 feet long according to our Code. We
have heavy hard pan clay starting about the 3 foot level. I had a step
ladder and a 12 pound sledge. They went down the 3 feet easily, but the last
6 feet was murder (I left 1 foot out the ground as we were backfilling about
3 more feet of fill to get final grade). Out of sheer boredom, as it was
taking all day, I measured progress as I counted the hits of the sledge
hammer. I was getting about 30 hits per inch or a 1/32 inch per hit. My arms
were ready to drop off after spending an entire day just to get two ground
rods installed as a had an inspection the next day so that I could get the
panel turned on for temporary power. This was 40 years ago, I wish I had
heard of using a hammer drill, that is if I could afford one back then.

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 1/23/2010 2:34 PM, Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Ground rod pounders and big hammers. Key word "men", not boys and
girls. Limp wrists don't help much either.

I'm over sixty years old. Two years ago I installed a fifty foot
antenna tower for high speed internet at my house. I pounded in four
11' ground rods (lightning) and put up the tower in an afternoon by
myself.

Imagine that.

LdB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 3:04*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
* * *- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
* * *- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. *Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Hmmm,
Cave men used power of water and patience even drill a hole thru
hard rock. Now you can test the quality of the ground rod by
connecting a 120V lamp between hot and it. If the lamp lights
up bright?

I once thought of that and even went to the trouble of doing research
to find a long enough masonry bit. Does anyone make a masonry bit that
long? I sure would like to buy one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
On Jan 23, 3:04 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

I once thought of that and even went to the trouble of doing research
to find a long enough masonry bit. Does anyone make a masonry bit that
long? I sure would like to buy one.

NOt sure if they are masonary bits but at work we have some carbide tiped
units that are somewhat over 6 feet long. We use them to drill out set up
plastic in pipes. It is a plant that makes polyester material and when some
instrument piping gets stopped up we have to drill them out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
* * *- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
* * *- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. *Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Hmmm,
Cave men used power of water and patience even drill a hole thru
hard rock. Now you can test the quality of the ground rod by
connecting a 120V lamp between hot and it. If the lamp lights
up bright?

I once thought of that and even went to the trouble of doing research
to find a long enough masonry bit. Does anyone make a masonry bit that
long? I sure would like to buy one.- Hide quoted text -

I made a spade bit I used to aerate some really hard clay. It was
about 4 ft long. A longer one could be easily made.. I drilled holes
in the clay about a ft deep where grass would not grow and filled the
holes with potting soil and planted grass seed.. It took about 2 or 3
years but the grass finally broke up the clay.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yoda!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message ...

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Through sheer force of will.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical math - and HF flashlights

I've lost count.

Oh, if you put the light in your pocket, turn the battery
pack backwards. So that when the button get pushed some how,
the batteries don't all go dead. I found mine dead in my
pocket, today.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Got a Harbor Freight coupon for one of those?

Chuckle. Gotta love those coupons. I've got 7 of the little
flashlights
so far.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

No worries, it was more accurate anyway.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Some elections drive them with sledge hammers until they
hit a rock. Then
cut them off. WW

Make that electricians. Should read before sending. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

That sounds like a LOT of work. Did you use a grinder, to
make a point, on the end of the rod?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
That sounds like a LOT of work. Did you use a grinder, to
make a point, on the end of the rod?

Didn't need to make a point, the ground rod came with one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

I pounded two ground rods each at 10 feet long according to our Code. We
have heavy hard pan clay starting about the 3 foot level. I had a step
ladder and a 12 pound sledge. They went down the 3 feet easily, but the
last 6 feet was murder (I left 1 foot out the ground as we were
backfilling about 3 more feet of fill to get final grade). Out of sheer
boredom, as it was taking all day, I measured progress as I counted the
hits of the sledge hammer. I was getting about 30 hits per inch or a
1/32 inch per hit. My arms were ready to drop off after spending an
entire day just to get two ground rods installed as a had an inspection
the next day so that I could get the panel turned on for temporary
power. This was 40 years ago, I wish I had heard of using a hammer
drill, that is if I could afford one back then.

Wowsers. The worst one I did took me maybe an hour or so. It
was in an old fenceline between two fields. I was convinced someone
must've buried an old hedge post right where I was driving the ground
rod. The last half of the 10' rod went pretty slow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Steve Barker wrote in
:

Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

how do you attach that 5/8" rod to a 1/2" chuck?

Using a DT adapter Steve. With all your skills and experience, I'm
surprised by your Q. The adapter is made by 3M. If you can't use baking
soda for something, try duct tape.

the 6 i've put in in the last 3 years went in with a sledge. Two of
them were in fresh backfill, and i pushed them in with my own weight. G

steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

You might want to check your current electrical code. Nebraska
requires the concrete encased grounding conductors. Basically, it's 20
feet or more of 1/2" rebar. I think it's in the NEC but my book is
way.............. over there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

A pneumatic chipping hammer hooked to a big Ingersoll Rand
towed compressor.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 23, 3:34 pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods
- plus -
One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit)
- equals -
Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock

For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact
extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.

I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

Push them in the ground with a backhoe

Jimmie

The sewer rehab people dug up my buried phone line and caused
all sorts of problems for my phone and dialup computer modem.
When I call the CSR at the phone company and told her what had
happened, her response was, "Sir we can't get involved in your
personal affairs." I said, "I'm sorry, you don't understand, it
was a BACKHOE not a prostitute that damaged my phone line." I
think that story circulated around the phone company for years.

TDD

Ground Rods? No Name Home Repair 4 June 6th 08 12:18 PM
Ground rods Jim Elbrecht Home Repair 33 October 4th 07 04:55 PM
Replacing main ground rods [email protected] Home Repair 11 November 28th 06 11:28 PM
EXPERTS PLEASE HELP - Ground Rods & Grounding & Multiple Meters Jim Beam Home Repair 4 September 17th 06 03:52 PM
Grounding Of Ground Wires In An Electrical Gang Box (how to handle the green ground wires) Robert11 Home Repair 7 March 8th 05 03:45 PM