Posted to alt.home.repair

Default repairing a section of a textured wall

Someone pushed a chair into the wall beneath a window. Some of the textured
wall surfacing was knocked off, and some remains on the wall but is loosened
from the drywall surface. I know how to mud and texture the bare spot, but I
was wondering if there is any way to "reattach" the portion that has
separated from the drywall ...or, do I have to remove the loose section?

Thanks,

Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Jan 21, 1:35*pm, "Jean" wrote:
Someone pushed a chair into the wall beneath a window. Some of the textured
wall surfacing was knocked off, and some remains on the wall but is loosened
from the drywall surface. I know how to mud and texture the bare spot, but I
was wondering if there is any way to "reattach" the portion that has
separated from the drywall ...or, do I have to remove the loose section?

Thanks,

Jean

From previous experience, once it has pulled away, I've found it's
better to just scrape it off and retexture.

Robin
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rlz" wrote in message
On Jan 21, 1:35 pm, "Jean" wrote:
Someone pushed a chair into the wall beneath a window. Some of the
textured
wall surfacing was knocked off, and some remains on the wall but is
loosened
from the drywall surface. I know how to mud and texture the bare spot, but
was wondering if there is any way to "reattach" the portion that has
separated from the drywall ...or, do I have to remove the loose section?

Thanks,

Jean

From previous experience, once it has pulled away, I've found it's
better to just scrape it off and retexture.

Robin

Ditto...Remove all loose stuff ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:35:19 -0500, "Jean" wrote:

Someone pushed a chair into the wall beneath a window. Some of the textured
wall surfacing was knocked off, and some remains on the wall but is loosened
from the drywall surface. I know how to mud and texture the bare spot, but I
was wondering if there is any way to "reattach" the portion that has
separated from the drywall ...or, do I have to remove the loose section?

Thanks,

Jean

This could be done, although it may not be easy to replicate the
texture. Practice on some throw-away drywall until you get what looks
good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 5:01*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:35:19 -0500, "Jean" wrote:
Someone pushed a chair into the wall beneath a window. Some of the textured
wall surfacing was knocked off, and some remains on the wall but is loosened
from the drywall surface. I know how to mud and texture the bare spot, but I
was wondering if there is any way to "reattach" the portion that has
separated from the drywall ...or, do I have to remove the loose section?

Thanks,

Jean

This could be done, although it may not be easy to replicate the
texture. *Practice on some throw-away drywall until you get what looks
good.

White glue in a large hypodermic needle assembly to squirt up and
behind the loose texturing has saved my butt more than once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 1:43*pm, "Jean" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"White glue" as in Elmer's glue? Did you have to get glue behind every bit
of the loose stuff or would it be sufficient to just glue down the edges?
Thanks for the creative suggestion, I'll try it.

Jean- Hide quoted text -

Seems to me that you would want to apply the glue to as much of the
surface area as possible.

Glueing just the edges will leave the field loose and subject to
vibration, hits, etc. The area will certainly be more fragile if you
just glue the edges.

Maybe some spray adhesive, if you could get it behind the loose
section neatly?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jan 22, 1:43 pm, "Jean" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

[...]

Jesh , you have to texture the "bare spot" anyways...Just knock the loose
stuff off and re-do it right...No need to make it more complicated than it
needs to be...In the time you spent on here it could be done already...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Depot has textured wall liner made of something akin to tyvek.

It is a paintable tough wallpaper that has saved me many times.

But I get into trouble if I just use the wettable adhesive gumming.
Better to get a wallpaper glue that matches the application. With
just water, it is never smooth enough. You have to agressively massage
the bubbles out, and do it again every few minutes.

It is especially useful if the texturing has asbestos.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2