Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about preparing textured wall for painting

Hi,
I will be painting a bathroom that has a textured design at varying
angles on the walls like this: ((((( and currently has a semi
gloss paint finish. I would rather not use a deglosser as the room is
not well ventilated. Is there a way or tool I can use to lightly sand
the paint and get in the crevices of the texture so the new paint
(also semi-gloss) will adhere properly? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 10:30�pm, wrote:
Hi,
I will be painting a bathroom that has a textured design at varying
angles on the walls like this: �((((( � � � and currently has a semi
gloss paint finish. I would rather not use a deglosser as the room is
not well ventilated. Is there a way or tool I can use to lightly sand
the paint and get in the crevices of the texture so the new paint
(also semi-gloss) will adhere properly? �Thanks.

add fans wash with TSP rinse twice, then prime well with oil based
KIlZ, then paint normally.

Good time to add a exhaust fan if you dont already have one, vented to
the outdoors.

high humidity leads to mold growth and paint peeling
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2009 7:00 AM bob haller spake thus:

On May 11, 10:30�pm, wrote:

I will be painting a bathroom that has a textured design at varying
angles on the walls like this: �((((( � � � and currently has a semi
gloss paint finish. I would rather not use a deglosser as the room is
not well ventilated. Is there a way or tool I can use to lightly sand
the paint and get in the crevices of the texture so the new paint
(also semi-gloss) will adhere properly? �Thanks.

add fans wash with TSP rinse twice, then prime well with oil based
KIlZ, then paint normally.

Emphasis on the "rinse twice". Make that three times. You don't want any
TSP left on the wall or in any crevices, as it'll prevent the paint from
sticking.

You might try using a not-too-stiff wire brush--carefully--to get into
all those nooks and crannies. The idea is to try to knock as much of the
gloss off the existing paint as possible, so the primer'll stick better.

Good time to add a exhaust fan if you dont already have one, vented to
the outdoors.

Not a bad idea, that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to both for your replies. Upon further investigation, I came
across a product by Krud Kutter that looks pretty good and easy to use
so I am going to give it a try:
http://www.krudkutter.com/glossoff.asp

If anyone has used this I'd be interested to hear feedback. I will try
to post back with a review once the project is finished.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On May 11, 10:30�pm, wrote:
Hi,
I will be painting a bathroom that has a textured design at varying
angles on the walls like this: �((((( � � � and currently has a semi
gloss paint finish. I would rather not use a deglosser as the room is
not well ventilated. Is there a way or tool I can use to lightly sand
the paint and get in the crevices of the texture so the new paint
(also semi-gloss) will adhere properly? �Thanks.

add fans wash with TSP rinse twice, then prime well with oil based
KIlZ, then paint normally.

Good time to add a exhaust fan if you dont already have one, vented to
the outdoors.

high humidity leads to mold growth and paint peeling

You don't need to prime a wall that is already painted. The wall needs
to be clean and dry. Use favorite household cleaner to wash the wall -
brush if needed over the texture - rinse and dry. The texture itself
will give tooth for the new paint to adhere. There is an amazing amount
of moisture, unseen, after showers. Run a fan and wipe the wall dry
when ready to paint. Light sanding of trim and doors would be a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 12:34�am, "
wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On May 11, 10:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

when ready to paint. Light sanding of trim and doors would be a good idea..- Hide quoted text -

Priming ends the chance of poor adhesion for any number of reasons,
and peeling is way more likely in a bathroom.

it costs little and cave ooodles of grief later........

based on that its worth the added cost and hassle, which is minimal to
begin with