Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Who do you trust on submersible vs. pedestal? :-)

The first url says submersible last longer, and the second url says
the pedestal pumps last longer!!!

http://www.sump-pump-info.com/types.html

Submersible - [].... They are more expensive than the pedestal pumps
but are quieter and tend to have a longer life because their sealed,
oil-cooled motors are protected from moisture and dust.

OTOH
http://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/sump-pumps.html.

But pedestal pumps are less expensive and last longer. Because
submersibles sit in water a good deal of the time, they have a life
span of from 5 to 15 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 12:55�am, mm wrote:
The first url says submersible last longer, and the second url says
the pedestal pumps last longer!!!

http://www.sump-pump-info.com/types.html

Submersible - [].... They are more expensive than the pedestal pumps
but are quieter and tend to have a longer life because their sealed,
oil-cooled motors are protected from moisture and dust.

OTOH �http://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/sump-pumps.html.

But pedestal pumps are less expensive and last longer. Because
submersibles sit in water a good deal of the time, they have a life
span of from 5 to 15 years.

It doesn't matter. They both have switches and switches go bad.
However, submersibles are a little quieter, but, that could be a bad
thing because you may not hear it running.

Anything can fail, flip a coin.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 11:55*pm, mm wrote:
The first url says submersible last longer, and the second url says
the pedestal pumps last longer!!!

http://www.sump-pump-info.com/types.html

Submersible - [].... They are more expensive than the pedestal pumps
but are quieter and tend to have a longer life because their sealed,
oil-cooled motors are protected from moisture and dust.

OTOH *http://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/sump-pumps.html.

But pedestal pumps are less expensive and last longer. Because
submersibles sit in water a good deal of the time, they have a life
span of from 5 to 15 years.

Submersible are quiet, I have 7 commercial grade pedistals from maybe
the 50s, I can repair anything and put on a new motor if needed but
today they cost new near 400$ , they are not the 49.99 HD stuff which
is plastic. Get a good submirsable like Zoeller, HD stuff is probably
cheapo made, you do get what you pay for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 7:09*am, ransley wrote:
On Jan 20, 11:55*pm, mm wrote:

[...]

Better yet, get two pumps and set them up so that one has a higher
turn-on point than the other. That way, when the first pump fails you
will not have a flood. They all fail, it's just a matter of what you
do when it happens. I have owned both types, and it is 99% sure that
the switch will fail before the pump. EIther type is subject to this
problem. The arcing when the switch turns off the highly inductive
load of the pump causes the switch contacts to arc and that eventually
pits the surface. Then, either the switch sticks closed and the pump
runs continuously which will destroy the motor, or the contacts close
but do not make electrical contact and the motor does not turn on.
Either way you have a flood if you do not notice what is going on. I
seem to have a sixth sense about hearing feeling the pumps in my
houses going on. I have awakened in the middle of the night and
sensed something was not right, gone down into the basement and found
something amiss..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 11:55 pm, mm wrote:

[...]

I did that in my last home. Put the backup pump up on a few bricks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 10:58*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
mm wrote:

The first url says submersible last longer, and the second url says
the pedestal pumps last longer!!!

http://www.sump-pump-info.com/types.html

Submersible - [].... They are more expensive than the pedestal pumps
but are quieter and tend to have a longer life because their sealed,
oil-cooled motors are protected from moisture and dust.

OTOH
http://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/sump-pumps.html.

But pedestal pumps are less expensive and last longer. Because
submersibles sit in water a good deal of the time, they have a life
span of from 5 to 15 years.

One 'pulls' the water and may need priming especially of the foot valve
fails.
The other 'pushes' the water and never needs priming. You can push a lot
more water than you can pull. The deeper wells work better with
submersibles. I think it's nicer not to have to listen to it working.

The pedestals I've seen also require 2 pipes where submersibles only
need one. I don't know, that may be old technology with the 2 pipes as
my parents had.- Hide quoted text -

All the pedestal pumps that I have ever seen or used have the pump
below the water, only the motor is above the water and the motor
drives the pump at the bottom of a long vertical shaft. The switch is
part of a float assembly that mounts on the vertical pump shaft
housing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:58:28 -0500, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

You've seen odd pedestals. The ones for sumps have the entire pump
section under water and "push" just like submersibles. The hook up the
same as submersibles too. One vertical oriented female pipe thread.

Would you trust these guys? Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 17 October 18th 09 04:28 PM
SEO Services you can Trust... nbysv3hu Electronics Repair 0 December 2nd 07 12:32 PM
Your choose is the best,trust yourself! Sonia Home Repair 0 September 2nd 07 06:09 PM
Trust the professionals jon UK diy 5 November 11th 06 04:51 PM
DON'T TRUST CBHvac Wade Lippman Home Repair 3 June 24th 03 03:59 AM