Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring 2 Baseboard Heaters to One Thermostat

I have 2 baseboard heaters currently connected to a rotary thermostat.
I am replacing the thermostat with a programmable digital thermostat
which can be wired either as single pole (L1 only) or double pole (L1
and L2). There were 2 black wires from the load and 2 red wires from
the line in the wiring diagram for the existing installation. I
assumed the 2 black wires were L1 and L2 so I connected them to the
matching L1 and L2 wires on the new thermostat, a Lux ELV4 model (The
old rotary thermostat was a TPI TR202-1/TW242 model).

The installation worked, but I noticed that the room is always hot.
The actual reading is 73 degrees no matter how low I set the
thermostat. Apparently, only one heater is cycling or switching on and
off while the other heater is on all the time. It seems to me that I
should have wired it only as single pole (L1 only) and just left the
second black wire disconnected. The instructions for the new
thermostat say that only L1 is switched during normal operation.

But then, doesn't that mean that only 1 baseboard heater is connected?
How do I connect the wires so that my single thermostat will control
the 2 heaters?

Thanks foe any help.

IB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Indio Bravo wrote:
I have 2 baseboard heaters currently connected to a rotary thermostat.
I am replacing the thermostat with a programmable digital thermostat
which can be wired either as single pole (L1 only) or double pole (L1
and L2). There were 2 black wires from the load and 2 red wires from
the line in the wiring diagram for the existing installation. I
assumed the 2 black wires were L1 and L2 so I connected them to the

Hi,
Think two black wires are L1 and two reds are L2.
You connected only one heater thinking that way.

matching L1 and L2 wires on the new thermostat, a Lux ELV4 model (The
old rotary thermostat was a TPI TR202-1/TW242 model).

The installation worked, but I noticed that the room is always hot.
The actual reading is 73 degrees no matter how low I set the
thermostat. Apparently, only one heater is cycling or switching on and
off while the other heater is on all the time. It seems to me that I
should have wired it only as single pole (L1 only) and just left the
second black wire disconnected. The instructions for the new
thermostat say that only L1 is switched during normal operation.

But then, doesn't that mean that only 1 baseboard heater is connected?
How do I connect the wires so that my single thermostat will control
the 2 heaters?

Thanks foe any help.

IB

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*It is quite possible that one pair of black and red is the line and the
other pair is the load. Look inside the box and see if there is a red and
black for each cable. To wire it as a single pole you would need to splice
two wires together. You should confirm which wires are your hots with a
tester or lightbulb. Also double check the wiring diagram for the
thermostat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Indio Bravo" wrote in message
[...]

You need to identify the 240 volt feed wires in the box, and connect those
two wires to the two "line" wires on the thermostat. Then identify the two
"load" wires, which are the ones that go to the two heaters, and connect
them to the two load wires of the stat. You may have two sets of load wires
in the box, one for each heater, in which case just parallel them onto the
load wires from the stat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

[...]

I would add:

Make a test load from two light bulbs in two pigtails, connected in series,
for the 240 V switching, to see whats what on the thermostat. These two
bulbs in series will glow at normal brightness on 240 V, and much much
dimmer on 120 V. Really very handy.

Also, baseboard heaters draw substantial power. It seems to me that the
relays found on thermostats, circuit boards, etc, if mechanical, are built
for toy trains, not 1,000-2,000 watt loads. If solid state relays are used,
then mebbe they not so fragile. I believe SCR-solidstate relays never
click, and mechanicals always have a "click".

But an external mechanical relay never hurts.for longevity of things like
circuit boards, thermostats, etc, and alls you do is connect the coil of the
relay to the thermo just as you would the baseboard heater. Then run your
line and load wires to the relay contacts.
You can also connect an external solid state relay in the same way.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 8:15*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

[...]

Make sure that the two light bulbs you use are the same wattage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

About 30 years ago, when I lived in the country with all
rooms on baseboard heaters, I wanted to put them all on
setback for when we were gone to work during the day.
Found the prospect very expensive and kind of uncertain
at that time. Maybe things have changed nowadays.

But I made a setback unit that cost about 12 dollars and
my time. I used a single timer for the system, and a
7 1/2 watt night-light bulb alongside each heater thermostat.
And I had a dimmer to the string, so that the bulbs were
running slightly lower voltage, and they did indeed seem
to last forever.

Adjusting the spacing of the bulbs for the bulbs was the
tricky part, and I considered ceramic wirewound resistors
later, but it was working so well I left it alone. And the
dimmer could have been replaced with an appropriate
resistor, but it gave some setback temperature range
adjustment.

From what I heard a few years ago, the owners of that
house are still using the same setup.