Posted to alt.home.repair

Default good scraper for paint prep?

I have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-28-500.../dp/B00002X1ZX

and it's ****ING ME OFF!

What I'm using it for is trying to even out the paint on a wall where
there used to be a mirror and I'm just trying to get rid of the
brushstrokes where the old paint was cut in around the mirror, so I
don't have to use so much mud to prep it for a new coat of paint.
Unfortunately it's darn near worthless. Does anyone make a GOOD razor
blade holder that doesn't close up as soon as you put some decent
pressure on it? Or is there a more appropriate scraper that will do the
same job better? I also have one of those painter's 4-edge scrapers,
but a razor blade seems to do a neater job.

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
I have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-28-500.../dp/B00002X1ZX

and it's ****ING ME OFF!

What I'm using it for is trying to even out the paint on a wall where
there used to be a mirror and I'm just trying to get rid of the
brushstrokes where the old paint was cut in around the mirror, so I
don't have to use so much mud to prep it for a new coat of paint.
Unfortunately it's darn near worthless. Does anyone make a GOOD razor
blade holder that doesn't close up as soon as you put some decent
pressure on it? Or is there a more appropriate scraper that will do
the same job better? I also have one of those painter's 4-edge
scrapers, but a razor blade seems to do a neater job.

I have a carbide scraper that works well. Like the following.

http://www.amazon.com/Warner-10018-2-Inch-Carbide-Scraper/dp/B000I1QGL8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1263752765&sr=1-3

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Second that, I have what appears to be the same unit with the Sandvic
name and it works very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
I have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-28-500.../dp/B00002X1ZX

and it's ****ING ME OFF!

What I'm using it for is trying to even out the paint on a wall where
there used to be a mirror and I'm just trying to get rid of the
brushstrokes where the old paint was cut in around the mirror, so I
don't have to use so much mud to prep it for a new coat of paint.
Unfortunately it's darn near worthless. Does anyone make a GOOD razor
blade holder that doesn't close up as soon as you put some decent
pressure on it? Or is there a more appropriate scraper that will do the
same job better? I also have one of those painter's 4-edge scrapers,
but a razor blade seems to do a neater job.

thanks

nate

Razor scrapers are my favorite tool ) I have two similar ones and
both, IIRC, fold up in use once in a while. I've just gotten in the
habit of holding onto the button as I scrape. If you are trying to
smoothe BRUSHSTROKES, seems sandpaper on a block would be better suited.
I've used r.b. scrapers to "shave" off little ridges of spackle or
paint, but brushstrokes don't have any depth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Heh. These ones do. Someone was in a REAL hurry to paint this wall I
guess. Twice. (two different colors since the mirror was put up.)

I already went over it with some 80 grit after doing the best I could
with the scraper. We'll see how well I did after the plaster sets up
(figured since I was doing it, I might as well fix the plaster around
the boxes for the wall sconces)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Paint removal on Stanley scraper N°80 Marc[_4_] Woodworking 2 December 28th 07 02:16 AM
Wall Prep for Paint? Fred Mayfield Home Repair 7 October 3rd 07 04:55 PM
What is a Cabinet Scraper Good For? Tom Banes Woodworking 7 September 1st 06 03:49 PM
Paint Prep Steve Home Repair 1 July 26th 05 04:12 PM
Scraper Plane Edge Prep B_Lerner Woodworking 10 March 25th 05 09:36 PM