Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall Prep for Paint?

So, about 9 months ago my wife decided she wanted to strip the wallpaper off
the bathroom walls and cover the walls and ceiling with ceramic tile. She
felt it would help with the mold problem. I didn't think it was a good idea
so I haven't been much help. ;)

In preparation for my daughter's October wedding in the backyard, the wife
and daughter stripped the old wall paper off leaving a nice shredded paper
kind of finish. About a month ago they agreed that they needed to just paint
the walls. Now, with 18 days to go it's obvious they're not gonna get it
done. I gotta help.

How do I get the walls ready to paint? Do I finish stripping the paper off
the walls completely or just get the loose stuff off and blow some texture
on the wall? I assume I need to prime the walls and then put a top coat
over that.

Ultimately she thinks she still wants something else, but we need something
besides brown paper for the wedding.

Oh, it's a small bathroom with a shower. I installed a ceiling vent several
years ago which is switched on almost every time someone takes a shower.
(With teenagers though, it still gets pretty steamy in there.) Now, the one
thing I didn't do right was vent the fan through the roof. Instead I have it
strapped to a rafter so I know there's more moisture in the attic than
necessary and that's not good. It's an old ranch style house with big vents
at either end of the roof and both soffit and ridge vents.

Anyway, any help with 1) getting paint on the walls and 2) addressing the
mold issue would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Fred. (Life is good, don't blow it!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:45:30 -0500, Fred Mayfield wrote:

[...]

Two ways to do things: the easy way and the right way.

I had a house with wallpaper in every room. In addition to wallpaper,
there was at least 5 coats of paint on the wallpaper. Made removal
difficult. Finally had to scrape with razorblades to get every last speck
of paper removed.

The best way to prep wall is to remove all paper and glue. Wash the wall.
Paint. If there are stains, you might want to use a product such as Kilz
before the final coat.

Do the job right and maybe the frau and kid will let you have a good time
at the wedding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred Mayfield" wrote in message

mold problem

blow some texture on the wall?

See how I removed everything except for the combination of two things that
will make you want to kill yourself a year from now? There is no way
textured walls belong in a bathroom, especially if you have mildew problems.
Imagine trying to run a sponge across a textured wall to remove mildew. No.
Error. Don't do it. If you have magazines, books, brochures or people in
the house which suggest textured walls in the bathroom, get rid of them
immediately.

Later in this discussion, someone may say they have textured walls in their
bathroom and it's fine. They are lying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred Mayfield" wrote in
:

[...]

DON'T PAINT OVER THE WALLPAPER. It will give you more grief in the future
than you want to deal with.

Get the rest of the paper and backing off the wall. Rinse well to get any
leftover glue off. Fix any damage from removing the paper, old holes,
nicks, etc. Prime (or the areas you fixed will show in certain light).
Get primer tinted to 3/4 the final color you choose. Paint. 2 coats is
always the bomb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

DON'T PAINT OVER THE WALLPAPER. It will give you more grief in the future
than you want to deal with.

Get the rest of the paper and backing off the wall. Rinse well to get any
leftover glue off. Fix any damage from removing the paper, old holes,
nicks, etc. Prime (or the areas you fixed will show in certain light).
Get primer tinted to 3/4 the final color you choose. Paint. 2 coats is
always the bomb.

Good advice. One thing missing:

Whatever drying time is mentioned on the paint can, it's a lie. Multiply by
2. Make that 3 if it's a damp environment. If it says 24 hours, that means
nobody takes a shower in that bathroom for 72 hours. A week would be even
better. There's nothing you can do to speed things up. Not a fan, nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred Mayfield wrote:
So, about 9 months ago my wife decided she wanted to strip the wallpaper off
the bathroom walls and cover the walls and ceiling with ceramic tile. She
felt it would help with the mold problem. I didn't think it was a good idea
so I haven't been much help. ;)

In preparation for my daughter's October wedding in the backyard, the wife
and daughter stripped the old wall paper off leaving a nice shredded paper
kind of finish. About a month ago they agreed that they needed to just paint
the walls. Now, with 18 days to go it's obvious they're not gonna get it
done. I gotta help.

How do I get the walls ready to paint? Do I finish stripping the paper off
the walls completely or just get the loose stuff off and blow some texture
on the wall? I assume I need to prime the walls and then put a top coat
over that.

Spray the brown paper with a spray bottle and warm water. Let first
appl. soak in about 10 min., spray again, wait a bit but don't let it
dry. Scrape gently and it should come off with ease. Probably more
glue and paper left - repeat process.

Where is the mildew? If it is along where the seams were, it probably
if from the paste getting wet from condensation seeping into seams or
along edge. Wash the wall well till all paste is gone, using a little
bleach in the water. Rinse well. Dry well. Prime if the paint beneath
isn't sound. Paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 9:25?pm, Norminn wrote:
Fred Mayfield wrote:
[...]

isn't sound. Paint.- Hide quoted text -

a wall paper steamer will save tons of work and rental is cheap

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whatever drying time is mentioned on the paint can, it's a lie. Multiply by
2. Make that 3 if it's a damp environment. If it says 24 hours, that means
nobody takes a shower in that bathroom for 72 hours. A week would be even
better. There's nothing you can do to speed things up. Not a fan, nothing.

I agree.

Best way to prep and paint and exterior cement stairwell? stratford1 Home Repair 3 September 4th 07 02:40 AM
How to prep a basement floor for paint Valerie Moffatt Home Repair 1 April 26th 06 12:59 AM
How would I prep Garage Cement floor to paint bdeditch Home Repair 6 January 22nd 06 04:52 PM
Paint Prep Steve Home Repair 1 July 26th 05 04:12 PM
Interior Paint prep question Gary Stone Home Repair 17 March 26th 05 09:07 PM