Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Draining attic furnaces?

Awl --

On the utterly useless ng alt.hvac, reference was made to a lennox 90%
furnace not working in a very cold attic, that some drain was freezing up,
causing the furnace to malfunction.

What needs to be drained in an attic furnace? In ANY furnace?
I have a furnace with a dehumidifier whatsits, and no drain.

The only drain on my furnace is for the A/C condensate.

And also, what exactly is malfunctioning and why?
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 6:54*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
Awl --

On the utterly useless ng alt.hvac, reference was made to a lennox 90%
furnace not working in a very cold attic, that some drain was freezing up,
causing the furnace to malfunction.

What needs to be drained in an attic furnace? *In ANY furnace?
I have a furnace with a dehumidifier whatsits, and no drain.

The only drain on my furnace is for the A/C condensate.

And also, what exactly is malfunctioning and why?
--
EA

Is it your furnace, or someone being abused at alt.hvachackforabeer,
the drain on a condensing furnace cant freeze.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

On the utterly useless ng alt.hvac, reference was made to a lennox 90%
furnace not working in a very cold attic, that some drain was freezing up,
causing the furnace to malfunction.

What needs to be drained in an attic furnace? In ANY furnace?
I have a furnace with a dehumidifier whatsits, and no drain.

The only drain on my furnace is for the A/C condensate.

And also, what exactly is malfunctioning and why?

In addition to what Art said, a condensing furnace should never be put
in a non conditioned (attic) area. The risk of damage due to freezing
is too high. The entire heat exchanger can be damaged if it freezes
during a power outage or even between cycles if it's off long enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 07:54:37 -0500, Existential Angst wrote:

Awl --

On the utterly useless ng alt.hvac, reference was made to a lennox 90%
furnace not working in a very cold attic, that some drain was freezing up,
causing the furnace to malfunction.

What needs to be drained in an attic furnace? In ANY furnace?
I have a furnace with a dehumidifier whatsits, and no drain.

The only drain on my furnace is for the A/C condensate.

And also, what exactly is malfunctioning and why?

The 90% efficiency furnaces create condensation in the exhaust and it needs
to have a drain line on them. If it freezes this condensation backs up and
blocks the exhaust, creating backpressure and the temp rises, causing the
furnace to shut down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 11:35*am, Steve Barker wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

On the utterly useless ng alt.hvac, reference was made to a lennox 90%
furnace not working in a very cold attic, that some drain was freezing up,
causing the furnace to malfunction.

What needs to be drained in an attic furnace? *In ANY furnace?
I have a furnace with a dehumidifier whatsits, and no drain.

The only drain on my furnace is for the A/C condensate.

And also, what exactly is malfunctioning and why?

In addition to what Art said, a condensing furnace should never be put
in a non conditioned (attic) area. *The risk of damage due to freezing
is too high. *The entire heat exchanger can be damaged if it freezes
during a power outage or even between cycles if it's off long enough.

That's news to us here in NJ where they are going in loads of new
construction. A similar argument could be made against putting AC
units in attics or bathtubs upstairs. There is always some small
risk of potential damage. But properly installed they do just
fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

On the utterly useless ng alt.hvac, reference was made to a lennox 90%
furnace not working in a very cold attic, that some drain was freezing up,
causing the furnace to malfunction.

What needs to be drained in an attic furnace? In ANY furnace?
I have a furnace with a dehumidifier whatsits, and no drain.

The only drain on my furnace is for the A/C condensate.

And also, what exactly is malfunctioning and why?

You'd think no one has ever heard of heat tape. When I install
a walk in freezer, I install electric heat tape on the drain
pipe. The same stuff will work on the drain line of a condensing
furnace located in an attic or a utility room that is unheated.
It's a simple problem to cure with off the shelf products.

TDD