Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default HUMIDIFIER WICK

I use a 2 gallon ( room ) humidifier in the winter months.

My water has a high mineral content,
and the wick clogs up in 4 5 weeks.

Replacement wicks are pricey,
especially over a winter season.

Can anyone suggest a way of de-mineralizing the wick ?
I was thinking of using CLR, or even soaking it in a can of vinegar.

It's a tube-shaped wick, about 8" diam., 8" high.

???
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RJ" wrote:

I use a 2 gallon ( room ) humidifier in the winter months.

My water has a high mineral content,
and the wick clogs up in 4 5 weeks.

Replacement wicks are pricey,
especially over a winter season.

Can anyone suggest a way of de-mineralizing the wick ?
I was thinking of using CLR, or even soaking it in a can of vinegar.

I tried vinegar on one once & it dissolved the entire thing.

Ranking right up there with my compressor in the
'slap-myself-in-the-forehead-and-ask-why-I-didn't-do-it-years-ago' is
my Aprilaire humidifier. If you have forced air heat, then do
yourself a favor and get one.

$160- a fairly easy install- and only touch it once a year to change
the filter. It adds as much as .0.7 gallons of water an hour to
every room that has a heat duct.
http://www.discounthumidifiers.com/A...fiers_s/23.htm

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 14, 12:40*pm, "RJ" wrote:
I use a 2 gallon ( room ) humidifier in the winter months.

My water has a high mineral content,
and the wick clogs up in 4 5 weeks.

Replacement wicks are pricey,
especially over a winter season.

Can anyone suggest a way of de-mineralizing the wick ?
I was thinking of using CLR, or even soaking it in a can of vinegar.

It's a tube-shaped wick, about 8" diam., 8" high.

???

If your wick has no metal parts, CLR should work OK. If there are
metal parts, then something less vigorous is called for, like oxalic
acid, a component of common auto radiator flush compounds.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

RJ wrote:
I use a 2 gallon ( room ) humidifier in the winter months.

My water has a high mineral content,
and the wick clogs up in 4 5 weeks.

Replacement wicks are pricey,
especially over a winter season.

Can anyone suggest a way of de-mineralizing the wick ?
I was thinking of using CLR, or even soaking it in a can of vinegar.

It's a tube-shaped wick, about 8" diam., 8" high.

???

use r/o or distalled water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-01-14, RJ wrote:
I use a 2 gallon ( room ) humidifier in the winter months.

My water has a high mineral content,
and the wick clogs up in 4 5 weeks.

Replacement wicks are pricey,
especially over a winter season.

Fooling with those wicks, regardless of the cost, gets very old after a
while. I finally switched to a vaporizing humidifier, and it's *much*
more convenient IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:57:13 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

"RJ" wrote:

I use a 2 gallon ( room ) humidifier in the winter months.

When the wick is good, how long does it take to evaporate 2 gallons?

More below.

My water has a high mineral content,
and the wick clogs up in 4 5 weeks.

Replacement wicks are pricey,
especially over a winter season.

Can anyone suggest a way of de-mineralizing the wick ?
I was thinking of using CLR, or even soaking it in a can of vinegar.

I tried vinegar on one once & it dissolved the entire thing.

Ranking right up there with my compressor in the
'slap-myself-in-the-forehead-and-ask-why-I-didn't-do-it-years-ago' is
my Aprilaire humidifier. If you have forced air heat, then do
yourself a favor and get one.

$160- a fairly easy install- and only touch it once a year to change
the filter. It adds as much as .0.7 gallons of water an hour to
every room that has a heat duct.
http://www.discounthumidifiers.com/A...fiers_s/23.htm

Jim

Hey, that's what it says all right, "Has an evaporation capacity of
0.70 gallons per hour"

And look at those people freaking out because I want to boil water and
add a gallon of water in 4 hours once a day.

When the furnace won't heat the house enough for some reason.

I hope they read this thread.

Thanks for posting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

He's right about the Aprilaire. I used to install furnaces.
They are excellent.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"RJ" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can get some more life out of your wicks by dumping out
all the water once a week, and gently rinse the wick under
the faucet.

Distilled water has less minerals. But, pricey.

Some humidifiers use a pump and sprayer, to make a mist (I
think? I'm probably wrong.) I used to use a trigger spray
bottle to make humidity. Fill with hot water, and spray near
the ceiling.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RJ" wrote in message
I use a 2 gallon ( room ) humidifier in the winter months.

My water has a high mineral content,
and the wick clogs up in 4 5 weeks.

Replacement wicks are pricey,
especially over a winter season.

Can anyone suggest a way of de-mineralizing the wick ?
I was thinking of using CLR, or even soaking it in a can of
vinegar.

It's a tube-shaped wick, about 8" diam., 8" high.

???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
You can get some more life out of your wicks by dumping out
all the water once a week, and gently rinse the wick under
the faucet.

Distilled water has less minerals. But, pricey.

Some humidifiers use a pump and sprayer, to make a mist (I
think? I'm probably wrong.) I used to use a trigger spray
bottle to make humidity. Fill with hot water, and spray near
the ceiling.

I like ultrasonic humidifiers, I used one in a machine I
built for a printing ink supplier and I have one I used
at home. I put it up somewhere and can't find it now. I
have an earlier version of this Sunbeam product.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-701-Ul.../dp/B00075M1ZK

http://tinyurl.com/yfwldkg

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
-snip-
$160- a fairly easy install- and only touch it once a year to change
the filter. It adds as much as .0.7 gallons of water an hour to
every room that has a heat duct.
http://www.discounthumidifiers.com/A...fiers_s/23.htm

I just remembered another reason I like my Aprilaire. Lack of
sitting water to breed bacteria in.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5046.html

The additive that you put in that kills bacteria is also often a water
softener/de-mineralizer.

Jim

Humidifier [email protected] Home Repair 12 November 25th 05 11:01 PM
Humidifier Brad Bruce Home Repair 11 October 11th 05 10:12 PM
Humidifier [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 1st 05 03:21 AM
Humidifier Matt Home Repair 7 December 21st 04 06:06 AM
Solder Wick - who makes the best? [email protected] Electronics Repair 17 October 3rd 04 11:45 PM