Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall under floor as Sound deadener ?

I am gutting and rebuilding my basement, in order to put in insulation and
thicker walls.

Question: Is it worth while cuttimg up all the old drywall into strips, and
screwing it up onto the sub floor between the floor joists ?

I am thinking it might add mass to help with sound deadening, especially
with impact noise from people walking above.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 8:07*pm, "Ray" wrote:
I am gutting and rebuilding my basement, in order to put in insulation and
thicker walls.

Question: Is it worth while cuttimg up all the old drywall into strips, and
screwing it up onto the sub floor between the floor joists ?

I am thinking it might add mass to help with sound deadening, especially
with impact noise from people walking above.

TIA

Why not just put sound insulation between the joists? The drywall is
rigid and will transfer the sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 7:39*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:07*pm, "Ray" wrote:

I am gutting and rebuilding my basement, in order to put in insulation and
thicker walls.

Question: Is it worth while cuttimg up all the old drywall into strips, and
screwing it up onto the sub floor between the floor joists ?

I am thinking it might add mass to help with sound deadening, especially
with impact noise from people walking above.

TIA

Why not just put sound insulation between the joists? The drywall is
rigid and will transfer the sound.

All the recording studios ive seen are double floating drywall walls
usualy 2-5/8" sheets or more, it is mass that deadens. If it was held
off the wood with rubber or foam spacers it would really work.
Cheapest would be carpet padding cut into strips used where screws
attach so the drywall doesnt touch wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 8:07 pm, "Ray" wrote:

[...]

--------------

In the past, I have used insulation in the ceiling, and it helps a little,
but does nothing for impact noise. I'm thinking that the extra mass of the
drywall would help stop the noise from the footsteps from being developed in
the first place..

Holding it off the wood, would still let the sub floor vibrate and create
the sound ???

Also it is a way to get rid of the drywall, which commands expensive
disposal charges..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:
(snip)

Also it is a way to get rid of the drywall, which commands expensive
disposal charges..

I wouldn't see why, other than the weight. Do you have a back yard and
a shovel? Bust it up and bury it, a little at a time if you think the
neighbors will have kittens.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 9:33*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Ray wrote:

(snip)

Also it is a way to get rid of the drywall, which commands expensive
disposal charges..

I wouldn't see why, other than the weight. *Do you have a back yard and
a shovel? Bust it up and bury it, a little at a time if you think the
neighbors will have kittens.

--
aem sends...

If you are efficient in your planning, there shouldn't be so much
scrap drywall. Putting it in the ceiling wouldn't hurt, but it
probably won't help much either. Be careful you don't cause sagging
between joists due to the extra unsupported weight, Mounting the new
ceiling on spacers below the ceiling joists would be the best way to
reduce the direct sound transfer. Carpeting on the upper level would
be the most effective way to reduce the sound of footsteps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Jan 10, 8:07 pm, "Ray" wrote:
I am gutting and rebuilding my basement, in order to put in insulation and
thicker walls.

Question: Is it worth while cuttimg up all the old drywall into strips,
and
screwing it up onto the sub floor between the floor joists ?

I am thinking it might add mass to help with sound deadening, especially
with impact noise from people walking above.

TIA

All that would accomplish is getting a cloud of white dust everytime
somebody walks across the floor....Search this group for the many threads on
sound proofing....There was one recently with alot of good ideas that REALLY
work...

....LOL...I was on a job a while back where the electrician was TRYING to
pull some wires with no luck...Opened the wall up to find it stuffed with
scrap...LOL..He had to open up every interior wall he had to wire...Made
more work and money for me...LOL...And NO I didn't do it...The place was
built in the 60's....LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:
I am gutting and rebuilding my basement, in order to put in
insulation and thicker walls.

Question: Is it worth while cuttimg up all the old drywall into
strips, and screwing it up onto the sub floor between the floor
joists ?
I am thinking it might add mass to help with sound deadening,
especially with impact noise from people walking above.

You can't really depend on mass as a sound deadener.

If you put your ear on a railroad rail, you can hear the train from many
miles away even though several hundred tons of steel intervene.

Be sure to remove your head as the train approaches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 8:07 pm, "Ray" wrote:

[...]

M- Hide quoted text -

Google plans for - recording studio sound proofing - Drywall is used,
at least 2 thick sheets, the walls and ceilings float meaning they are
not attached to the main walls, on the floor rubber pucks are used to
not transfer vibrations. The key is having a seperate structure and
using a fiber or rubber carpet pad backing would reduce contact points
but give a soft material that wont transfer vibrations to the ceiling.
Alot here say it wont work, but floating drywall rooms are in fact,
recording studio, Industry Standard. Any pro drywaller will at least
up the standard for a home where sound is a issue. Even a bead of
caulk left to cure first on studs makes a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Drywall is a good sound control, but I think I would want to
mount full size drywall sheets attached to the joists with resilent
connectors. You also want to make sure there are no air to air
connections, like heating ducts and returns to allow the sound
transrer.

I use to have a link for a great source of information and
materials but I can no longer find it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 6:10*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Ray wrote:
I am gutting and rebuilding my basement, in order to put in
insulation and thicker walls.

Question: Is it worth while cuttimg up all the old drywall into
strips, and screwing it up onto the sub floor between the floor
joists ?
I am thinking it might add mass to help with sound deadening,
especially with impact noise from people walking above.

You can't really depend on mass as a sound deadener.

If you put your ear on a railroad rail, you can hear the train from many
miles away even though several hundred tons of steel intervene.

Be sure to remove your head as the train approaches.

Ive been told it works better with a wet ear on a frozen track, it
sticks better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 10:08*am, ransley wrote:
On Jan 11, 6:10*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Ray wrote:
I am gutting and rebuilding my basement, in order to put in
insulation and thicker walls.

Question: Is it worth while cuttimg up all the old drywall into
strips, and screwing it up onto the sub floor between the floor
joists ?
I am thinking it might add mass to help with sound deadening,
especially with impact noise from people walking above.

You can't really depend on mass as a sound deadener.

If you put your ear on a railroad rail, you can hear the train from many
miles away even though several hundred tons of steel intervene.

Be sure to remove your head as the train approaches.

Ive been told it works better with a wet ear on a frozen track, it
sticks better.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah - but what a mess to clean up afterward!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Ray wrote:
I am gutting and rebuilding my basement, in order to put in
insulation and thicker walls.

Question: Is it worth while cuttimg up all the old drywall into
strips, and screwing it up onto the sub floor between the floor
joists ?
I am thinking it might add mass to help with sound deadening,
especially with impact noise from people walking above.

You can't really depend on mass as a sound deadener.

If you put your ear on a railroad rail, you can hear the train from many
miles away even though several hundred tons of steel intervene.

Be sure to remove your head as the train approaches.

Yeah, but he isn't putting his ear on the basement ceiling. Try this:
Stand near a track, out in the middle of nowhere where the trains won't
be using their whistles, and see how close the trains get to you before
you can hear them. This experiment works best on a long sharp curve
where you can't use your eyes to lie about your ears. I think you'd be
astonished how close a train has to be before you can hear it.

Kitchen drywall & floor repair (7 photos JPG) Sammy bin Snoozin Woodworking Plans and Photos 10 October 7th 07 03:38 PM
Sound proofing 1st floor blue UK diy 3 July 23rd 07 08:48 PM
Strange sound from drywall/ceiling [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 16th 07 02:35 PM
Sound proofing condo floor? [email protected] Home Repair 16 February 1st 06 06:13 PM
Floor squeaking sound removal? Joseph Meehan Home Repair 2 January 14th 04 02:08 PM