Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange sound from drywall/ceiling

This morning while I was sleeping I heard this strange sound coming
from one of our exterior drywall. It lasted about one second or so
and sounded like wood cracking (or someone tearing apart wood).

It sounded too long to be a typical wood expansion noise due to
temperature change. (This is a north facing side, and does gets a bit
of sun very early in the morning). The temperature outside is slightly
chill, but not like winter cold.

Could a rodent be causing this type of noise? Rotted beam? Sinking
ceiling? Nothing looks out of the ordinary from the inside or the
outside. This is the 2nd time I've heard this noise and both times it
sounded very abnormal. The window was closed so this is not something
from the yard/outside!

Thanks!

Raymond
Posted to alt.home.repair

more specifically, carpentar ants...

On May 15, 2:59 pm, trainfan1 wrote:
wrote:
This morning while I was sleeping I heard this strange sound coming
from one of our exterior drywall. It lasted about one second or so
and sounded like wood cracking (or someone tearing apart wood).

It sounded too long to be a typical wood expansion noise due to
temperature change. (This is a north facing side, and does gets a bit
of sun very early in the morning). The temperature outside is slightly
chill, but not like winter cold.

Could a rodent be causing this type of noise? Rotted beam? Sinking
ceiling? Nothing looks out of the ordinary from the inside or the
outside. This is the 2nd time I've heard this noise and both times it
sounded very abnormal. The window was closed so this is not something
from the yard/outside!

Thanks!

Raymond

You've got ants.

Rob- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:

more specifically, carpentar ants...

You've got ants.

Any suggestion on how to get rid of it? What is the sound I am
hearing? Why is it Carpentar ants and not termite damage?

Thanks.

Raymond
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 16, 1:22 am, wrote:
Chris wrote:
more specifically, carpentar ants...
You've got ants.

Any suggestion on how to get rid of it? What is the sound I am
hearing? Why is it Carpentar ants and not termite damage?

It's a guess, nothing more. As respondent says, you didn't mention
tunnels, but that you didn't report them or that you've not seen them
doesn't necessarily mean they're not there...

First, what kind of siding do you have? If it's vinyl, and the sound
is only an occasional sharp popping noise, it's possible it may just
be thermal expansion.

OTOH, it is certainly possible you have an infestation problem of some
sort, but I'd certainly not pin it down to a particular varmit from
this description. In general, my experience has been that the noises
heard from such wood-eating critters are more continuous and
repetitive rather than isolated sharp noises, but depending on what
they are and where, most anything is possible. I'd start w/ a
thorough investigation for signs of entry/exit/tunnels/sawdust/
droppings/etc./etc. in the area both inside and out. Include the sill
plate/foundation/basement and attic as well. If you're not at all
familiar w/ the signs of termites or other pests, certainly wouldn't
hurt to get an exterminator in to make an inspection.

As someone else noted, if there's any signs of moisture where it
doesn't belong, that increases probabilities of infestation by orders
of magnitude. So does siding against or very close to the ground,
vegetation growing directly against the house, etc., etc., ...

It certainly should be possible to determine the culprit and whether
there is an infestation before actually opening a wall, however, but
it may come to that for repair if the infestation is severe.