Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Default How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel)

How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Call the local (to you) Mormons. Usually good at helping
move house. Look in the phone book under "The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joseph Donner" wrote in message
How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no
front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent
a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and
frame) onto and off
the truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Rent an engine hoist (the free standing boom type) from the local auto
parts place. Charge is usually minor and sometimes free if you return
it the same day or the next.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Oh yeah, and get some nylon tow straps instead of trying to use chains.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:08:44 -0800, Joseph Donner
wrote:

How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

Do you have an engine hoist?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

wrote:

How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

You can get a 1/2 ton crane that will go in the back of a truck for
$100 at harbor freight. 2 Ton for a couple hundred.

If you're gonna have a bike you might want to pick up a truck or
trailer to cart it around when necessary.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

wrote:

How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front
wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck
but how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame)
onto and off the truck.

You can get a 1/2 ton crane that will go in the back of a truck for
$100 at harbor freight. 2 Ton for a couple hundred.

If you're gonna have a bike you might want to pick up a truck or
trailer to cart it around when necessary.

I remember a friend in college commenting that the thing he used his bike most
for was going the the shop for parts for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Joseph Donner wrote:
How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

A couple possibilities. A cart (hand truck) like the ones used
to move refrigerators. You might be able to hook it under the front
forks. I'm not sure it would lift high enough to get the frame off the
ground though. An equipment dollie might also work.
You didn't mention what bike you're moving so no guess on the
weight. Bikes can weigh up to 1000 lbs. or so.
Maybe it would work better to rent a van. They aren't as high.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Jan 10, 5:08�pm, Joseph Donner wrote:
How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

Just give me a call I will come over and put it in my van Then
happily drive away

What brand bike is it?

Bikers tend to be a friendly group, look for other local bikers they
might help you move it
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Jan 10, 4:08 pm, Joseph Donner wrote:
How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

Andy comments:

Put the tailgate down.

Set two 4x4s about3 feet apart and fasten to make a ramp from
the ground to the tailgate. I would suggest 10 foot lengths.

Lay the bike on the 4x4s sideways with the rear wheel over one
and the engine over the other, at ground level. Try to get it so it's
more or less evenly weight distributed....

Walk the bike up the ramp -- one side a foot or so, then the other
side a foot or so. If necessary, use a prop, or a rope, to keep the
bike from sliding back.....probly not necessary with 10 foot ramp
length.

This will take about 10 or 15 minutes, a little at a time, but you
will work it up. Then use the 4x4s for a nice garden border in the
yard......or something....
With a pile of wood and some rope, you can fashion about any
sort of ramp you want. That's how they built the pyramids....
probly....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

wrote:

How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front
wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck
but how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame)
onto and off the truck.

You can get a 1/2 ton crane that will go in the back of a truck for
$100 at harbor freight. 2 Ton for a couple hundred.

If you're gonna have a bike you might want to pick up a truck or
trailer to cart it around when necessary.

I remember a friend in college commenting that the thing he used his bike most
for was going the the shop for parts for it.

Motorcycles are horses for people without room for a stable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, nofro...

Before buying/renting equipment, first call around to wrecker companies,
and other companies that specialize in moving quipment and find out what
they would charge. Such a job would probably a simple thing for them,
and cost less than you would spend trying to do it yourself. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Jan 10, 2:08*pm, Joseph Donner wrote:
How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

Lots of rental trucks have lift gates.

You'd definitely need tie down straps and some
way to move the bike around as you're getting it
on and off the truck. Maybe strapping it to a dolly
would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Joseph Donner wrote:
How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front
wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck
but how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame)
onto and off the truck.

Disassemble it and move the pieces?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Jan 10, 2:08*pm, Joseph Donner wrote:

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

U-Haul rents box vans with powered lift gates and a cargo floor that's
lower than the typical pickup truck bed and U-Haul also rents very low
motorcycle trailers with loading ramps.

Once your don't have a front wheel at all, snag an abandoned
supermarket shopping cart and hacksaw the basket part off so you can
rest the motorcycle forks on the wheeled bottom half of the cart.

You can probable use the axle clamps on the bottom of the forks to
secure the motorcycle to the shopping cart when you have to maneuver
the motorcycle around the garage.

Sawed-off shopping carts are good for moving engines around the garage
too.

Also, while you're scrounging shopping carts, get a few plastic milk
crates to store parts in. Impecunious motorcyclists have been using
milk crates for motorcycle workstands since the Beatles were a
group...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Perhaps he used his motor cycle to get parts for the car?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F" wrote in message

I remember a friend in college commenting that the thing he
used his bike most
for was going the the shop for parts for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:08:44 -0800, Joseph Donner wrote:

How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

Have a car?

http://crossquote.com/funny-crazy-re...r-bike-tow.jpg

;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Gael wrote:

Also, while you're scrounging shopping carts, get a few plastic milk
crates to store parts in. Impecunious motorcyclists have been using
milk crates for motorcycle workstands since the Beatles were a
group...

Considers garage and shuffles feet embarrassedly

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F Triumph Street Triple
Suzuki TS250ER GN250 Damn, back to six bikes!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Gael wrote in
:

[...]

They were good indestructible buggies too.

Also, while you're scrounging shopping carts, get a few plastic milk
crates to store parts in. Impecunious motorcyclists have been using
milk crates for motorcycle workstands since the Beatles were a
group...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On 1/11/2010 10:16, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

On Jan 10, 2:08 pm, Joseph wrote:

[...]

They were also pretty handy for the market that paid ~ $120/each for them...

Also, while you're scrounging shopping carts, get a few plastic milk
crates to store parts in. Impecunious motorcyclists have been using
milk crates for motorcycle workstands since the Beatles were a
group...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

George wrote in
:

On Jan 10, 2:08 pm, Joseph wrote:

[...]

Yep, it's me and my childhood honkey gangsta friends fault that bread is
no longer 9¢

Now, 45-50 years later, I should confess and send money to them even
though they no longer exist? Oh, because of me and my Little Rascals
buds, they are out of business.

I should stop and lecture any 9 year olds I see with cart bottom buggies.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Jan 11, 7:18*am, George wrote:

They were also pretty handy for the market that paid ~ $120/each for them....

Well, you do have a certain point, but I wasn't suggesting that the OP
go out and steal a shopping cart that's in good condition and chop it
up.

Despite the fact that some newer shopping carts have automatic
immobilization devices that prevent the cart from being taken off the
store's parking lot, and the fact that some stores pay rewards to
people who go out and collect stray carts, some carts will eventually
wind up a long way from the store, as homeless people use them to
carry all their possessions.

Carts will wind up in rivers and flood control channels and parking
structures, and some of these carts could be put to good use by
impecunious riders who want a free engine cart.

The supermarket would not want a shabby looking cart in their store
anyway.

And, the store's insurance company has already *paid* for the loss of
the missing cart.

And, if you visit the same store 12,000 times over a 33 year period,
your grocery purchases have probably amortized the cost of the cart...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Jan 11, 7:23*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Much cheaper than a tiny new Kubota with a loader. $12,000 vs $2,000.

The agricultural equipment dealer down the street sells Kubota
tractors that have four six-foot diameter wheels with narrow tires. I
can't figure out what they're good for, since regular tractors have
two narrow spaced smaller diameter wheels up front so they will follow
the furrow while plowing...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:32:59 -0500, salty wrote:
Yes there are many ways to rationalize theft. Those are just a few
common ones.

It's not theft, it's handling of stolen goods...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Jan 11, 9:35*am, Gael wrote:
[...]

Ah milk crates .......................... yes.
The newer ones, in now (supposedly) metric Canada, hold nine 2 litre
milk cartons. Each will, typically, accommodate 20+ average dinner
plates, up to 52 saucers, 24 cups etc. etc. And any variety of tools,
spare parts , junk etc. etc.
The older ones, designed for half gallons?, were much in demand at one
time for storing 12 inch phonograph records!
And also for standing on, or wangling something up/or down from the
bed of a pickup. Motor cycle too heavy I would say.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Perhaps he used his motor cycle to get parts for the car?

He didn't have a car, so that is unlikely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:27:20 -0800 (PST), Gael
wrote:

On Jan 11, 7:18 am, George wrote:

[...]

I agree...Nothing worse than a thief....

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

Yes there are many ways to rationalize theft. Those are just a few
common ones.

I agree...Nothing worse than a thief....

Yes there is!

I remember Rush Limbaugh commenting on Los Angeles stores who were
recovering their carts from homeless people. These street denizens were
using the carts to tote all their meager worldly goods.

The stores' representatives would approach the destitutes, dump their stuff
on the street, and retrieve the carts.

You can't get worse than evicting a homeless person!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
benick wrote:

Yes there are many ways to rationalize theft. Those are just a few
common ones.

I agree...Nothing worse than a thief....

Yes there is!

I remember Rush Limbaugh commenting on Los Angeles stores who were
recovering their carts from homeless people. These street denizens were
using the carts to tote all their meager worldly goods.

The stores' representatives would approach the destitutes, dump their
stuff on the street, and retrieve the carts.

You can't get worse than evicting a homeless person!

How is retreaving stolen property from drunks , druggies and crazies
evicting them ?? They could have been hardasses and had them arrested for
recieving stolen property but they didn't...Mighty nice of them if you ask
me...Besides... They still have their cardboard box to live in...Crazy check
(SSI) and foodstamps in the PO box every month..Shelters to hang out in when
the weather is bad...Meth Clinics for their drugs...And all the money they
can beg or panhandle for...Toss in a bottle of wine and they are all
set...But you're probably right...I'm sure there will be a program to give
them shopping carts coming soon...Either that or the Obamalord will take
over the supermarkets and mandate they be given carts for free...Well not
free..NOTHING is free...We will pay for them one way or the other through
taxes or increased food prices...But you get what I mean...

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
benick wrote:

[...]

Lots of people - not including mentally ill - live purely parasitic
lifestyles. Shelters aren't usually open to those who are actively
drinking or using drugs. I would not give them a dime or defend their
use of stolen property. They don't deserve charity, IMO, if it is so
that they can stay drunk. If they want to freeze, let 'em. My city has
a feeding program for homeless where they can receive free lunches
delivered by volunteers. They moved the site closer to city hall so
that there were plenty of trash cans and the litter didn't get left on
the ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I once moved a BMW K1200 with just my wife's help.

Had to rent a "drop trailer" which has a 2 thousand pound limit and a
truck for the 2" ball.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/3...1f9ee1.jpg?v=0

Maybe U-Haul has one of these?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

wrote:

Much cheaper than a tiny new Kubota with a loader. $12,000 vs $2,000.

The agricultural equipment dealer down the street sells Kubota
tractors that have four six-foot diameter wheels with narrow tires. I
can't figure out what they're good for, since regular tractors have
two narrow spaced smaller diameter wheels up front so they will follow
the furrow while plowing...

Kubotas are, or can be, all wheel drive. Actually, a lot of farm
tractors are like that anymore.
If the four large tires are on the back, it's for traction and
flotation. The tire spacing is adjusted according to the owner's row
spacing. It's pretty common to see six pulling tires on tractors now.
Two in front and four in the rear.
Plowing is pretty much the thing or the past. Most farmers are using
some sort of minimum tillage. It saves money and is better for the
soil. The organic matter stays on top the ground so it can limit wind
and water erosion.
I'm not too sure anyone is making a tricycle type front end for
tractors now. They are more likely to tip over than the wide front ends.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:08 pm, Joseph Donner wrote:
How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

Lots of rental trucks have lift gates.

You'd definitely need tie down straps and some
way to move the bike around as you're getting it
on and off the truck. Maybe strapping it to a dolly
would work.

Buy a junk front wheel and tire that will fit the front fork you have,
or is that missing too? Is the bike worth moving? Unless it is a
collector bike, basket cases usually go cheap around here. May be better
off to sell it and start over once you relocate.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:32:59 -0500, salty wrote:
Yes there are many ways to rationalize theft. Those are just a few
common ones.

It's not theft, it's handling of stolen goods...

I have never stolen a milk crate. I have, however, salvaged maybe a
dozen from the dumpsters in the apartments where I used to live.
Non-local dairy names on them, so no practical way to return them. Where
does that fit on the ethics and legality scale?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

aemeijers wrote in
:

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:08 pm, Joseph Donner wrote:
How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front
wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck
but how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame)
onto and off the truck.

Lots of rental trucks have lift gates.

You'd definitely need tie down straps and some
way to move the bike around as you're getting it
on and off the truck. Maybe strapping it to a dolly
would work.

Buy a junk front wheel and tire that will fit the front fork you have,
or is that missing too? Is the bike worth moving? Unless it is a
collector bike, basket cases usually go cheap around here. May be
better off to sell it and start over once you relocate.

--
aem sends...

Possibly can derive something from:
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_may20...kSpareTire.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

In article ,
Joseph Donner wrote:

How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

Wow, over 30 replies thus far and I didn't see anyone ask what I see as
a glaringly relevant question: How far do you have to move it?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Jan 13, 7:25*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Joseph Donner wrote:

How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

Wow, over 30 replies thus far and I didn't see anyone ask what I see as
a glaringly relevant question: How far do you have to move it?

where would the fun in that be...I'm sure that super genius gael the
fail will have a perfectly wrong and overly failure ridden answer. Me
I've never had a problem moveing any motorcycle I've owned. Whether
it's was not running/missing parts or running just fine. I ought to
have handicap placard...who needs that unless they are a
quardarplegic? sheesh...the op needs to man up and figure it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.motorcycles.tech

On Jan 10, 4:08*pm, Joseph Donner wrote:
How can I move, all alone, a disabled motorcycle (heavy, no front wheel).

Any ideas? I'm all alone and don't have a pickup. I can rent a truck but
how do I get the heavy bike (rear wheel and engine and frame) onto and off
the truck.

Is the bike chain driven?
If it is you can take the chain off and tow it on its back wheel.
Rent or borrow a truck with the bumper hitch that has the slide in
shaft. Find a bolt that is the same diameter as your front axle but
two or three inches longer than your axle.Use a bumper jack or
scissors jack to lift the front end up. Straddle the hitch and slide
the replacement axle bolt through a hole in the hitch bar and use
washers to snug up the axle bolt and pin the hitch bar into the
receiver. If you have a chain drive you just take the chain off. If
you have a shaft drive you might want to check with the maker of your
bike to see if towing with the rear wheel on the ground will hurt. You
might be able to tow it in NEUTRAL for a few miles without any damage.
Your state may require a safety chain or better yet a safety strap so
you don't scratch any finish on your bike.

I have done this by myself so I know it works.

DL