Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Filler for wooden stairs?

Hi,
While moving a large TV down the stairs in the front hall we managed
to drop the tv (broke it), putting large dents in the edge of a stairs
and gouges in the surface of a few. These are wooden stairs that are
stained a dark color and then covered with clear varnish. Ill need
some material to fill in the holes, I'll have to tint it the right
color and the material must be strong because it will have to be
shaped into the dents on the edges while holding together when being
stepped upon. Please suggest a material for this purpose. Thx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 1:58*pm, Unused Classified wrote:
Hi,
While moving a large TV down the stairs in the front hall we managed
to drop the tv (broke it), putting large dents in the edge of a stairs
and gouges in the surface of a few. These are wooden stairs that are
stained a dark color and then covered with clear varnish. Ill need
some material to fill in the holes, I'll have to tint it the right
color and the material must be strong because it will have to be
shaped into the dents on the edges while holding together when being
stepped upon. Please suggest a material for this purpose. Thx

Before you go trying to fill the dents, try steaming them out. The
wood fibers have been compressed, and if you sand off the finish at
the damaged areas, wet the dents and then use a steam iron on top of a
moist towel, the depressed areas will swell and be much easier to deal
with.

You will not be able to use any standard wood filler for your
purpose. The nosings on stair treads take a lot of abuse, and the
filler probably wouldn't hold up. You would have to use an epoxy-
based filler, and that would be very noticeable. Since they are
stained dark, you could try using a toner to cover whatever patch you
end up doing to make it blend in.

Depending on the severity of the damage, it might be easier to cut out
the damaged area and install a wood dutchman. Google it.

Nail hole filler for painted, outdoor wooden stair treads? Simpson Home Repair 5 January 22nd 08 12:05 AM
How can I fix 2 pounds heavy plaster plaques to a painted wooden wall? (Those thin wooden panels that they had in the 70s) [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 5th 07 07:45 PM
Wooden Floor & Stairs JonG UK diy 5 August 15th 06 02:39 AM
Stairs Into Kitchen - 2 sets of stairs ? Andy UK diy 2 January 21st 06 11:00 PM
Carpeting stairs and filling in wood stairs Dantanna Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 11:35 PM