Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent Bulbs Questions

Last couple of days I have been fixing various fluorescent fixtures in my
kitchen and garage.

I got them all done but struggled with one thing. Removing and installing
the tubes (T12). Once I rotated the tubes out of their sockets I had a real
hard time taking them out of the "box". They are recessed fixtures and once
you removed the cover, the opening is about a good 1-1/2 to 2" shorter than
the actual length of the tube. Even if you move each end to the opposite
corner there is not enough room. I spent a LONG TIME just getting the old
tubes out and the new tubes into the box. I don't get it why do they make
it so difficult to take a tube in and out?

Secondly what is a good way to dispose of a flurescent tube? I have about
12 tubes of 4' long tubes (T12), what do I do with it I cannot put them in
the regular garbage bin for disposal right? It's too tall and if it's
broken it will be a mess.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I got them all done but struggled with one thing. Removing and
installing the tubes (T12). Once I rotated the tubes out of their
sockets I had a real hard time taking them out of the "box". They
are recessed fixtures and once you removed the cover, the opening is
about a good 1-1/2 to 2" shorter than the actual length of the tube. Even
if you move each end to the opposite corner there is not enough
room. I spent a LONG TIME just getting the old tubes out and the new
tubes into the box. I don't get it why do they make it so difficult
to take a tube in and out?

Yes, they are a PITA to change. They make the fixtures a few pennies cheaper
by making them as compact as possible.

Secondly what is a good way to dispose of a flurescent tube? I have
about 12 tubes of 4' long tubes (T12), what do I do with it I cannot
put them in the regular garbage bin for disposal right? It's too
tall and if it's broken it will be a mess.

Depends on your local regulations. Some still allow small quantities of
them to go into regular trash, other communities take them in hazardous
waste so the mercury can be reclaimed. You may want to call your town hall
or wherever that sort of thing is handled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2010 8:46 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

Secondly what is a good way to dispose of a flurescent tube? I have about
12 tubes of 4' long tubes (T12), what do I do with it I cannot put them in
the regular garbage bin for disposal right? It's too tall and if it's
broken it will be a mess.

Depends on where you are. But you already knew that.

Luckily, Berkeley (which is close to where I live) accepts fluorescent
bulbs at their transfer station, where they get disposed of properly (we
hope, anyhow). Other cities may have similar places.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 2:08*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/9/2010 8:46 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

Secondly what is a good way to dispose of a flurescent tube? *I have about
12 tubes of 4' long tubes (T12), what do I do with it I cannot put them in
the regular garbage bin for disposal right? *It's too tall and if it's
broken it will be a mess.

Depends on where you are. But you already knew that.

Luckily, Berkeley (which is close to where I live) accepts fluorescent
bulbs at their transfer station, where they get disposed of properly (we
hope, anyhow). Other cities may have similar places.

- a Usenet "apology"

If you have no local hazardous waste station, put them in a 30 gallon
garbage bag and then break them up with a big board or hammer, etc,
and put the whole thing in the garbage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Have you tried calling any lighting/electrical suppliers in your area.
There is a supplier I deal with that will take the used bulbs for proper
disposal and recycling.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 9, 10:46*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

You may want to put those fixtures out on the curb.
Our local power company (AmerenIP) sent a flyer with the monthly bill
from ActOnEnergy.com (1-866-800-0740) stating that T12's will be
phased out in 2012. They have an ongoing incentive program apparently
and are offering another 10% incentive until 1/31/2010. Your local
power company may also be participating.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message news:023b9bc0-8b64-4657-b920-

You may want to put those fixtures out on the curb.
Our local power company (AmerenIP) sent a flyer with the monthly bill
from ActOnEnergy.com (1-866-800-0740) stating that T12's will be
phased out in 2012. They have an ongoing incentive program apparently
and are offering another 10% incentive until 1/31/2010. Your local
power company may also be participating.

Joe

Working for a major university, we converted all T12s in all buildings on
campus some time ago to T8s and are now considering LEDs when they become
more applicable and cost friendly.

Fluorescent bulbs David L. Martel Home Repair 2 July 25th 08 06:04 AM
Fluorescent bulbs desgnr Home Repair 5 September 26th 07 01:15 AM
fluorescent bulbs Michael_S Home Ownership 7 December 22nd 06 04:30 AM
Fluorescent bulbs Bonnie Jean Home Repair 7 August 2nd 05 02:16 PM
Fluorescent 'bulbs'? Terry Home Repair 6 November 15th 03 12:21 PM