Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing sub-panel

I am moving my basement workshop to a new location. Currently it has
50 A sub-panel that I want to remove. How to do this, namely what to
do with the wire that goes from main panel to the sub-panel? It is
burried inside walls and goes through entire house and one story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote:
I am moving my basement workshop to a new location. Currently it has
50 A sub-panel that I want to remove. How to do this, namely what to
do with the wire that goes from main panel to the sub-panel? It is
burried inside walls and goes through entire house and one story.

You can just abandon it. Cut it off at the panel end so it cannot be hooked
up again leaving exposed live wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ls02 wrote:
I am moving my basement workshop to a new location. Currently it has
50 A sub-panel that I want to remove. How to do this, namely what to
do with the wire that goes from main panel to the sub-panel? It is
burried inside walls and goes through entire house and one story.

If it's not going to be used, terminate it on both ends back where isn't
going to be in any danger of getting into anything live and leave it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 9:23*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
ls02 wrote:
I am moving my basement workshop to a new location. Currently it has
50 A sub-panel that I want to remove. How to do this, namely what to
do with the wire that goes from main panel to the sub-panel? It is
burried inside walls and goes through entire house and one story.

You can just abandon it. *Cut it off at the panel end so it cannot be hooked
up again leaving exposed live wires.

Does code allow just cutting wire on both ends and wrapping it with
electric tape?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message
I am moving my basement workshop to a new location. Currently it has
50 A sub-panel that I want to remove. How to do this, namely what to
do with the wire that goes from main panel to the sub-panel? It is
burried inside walls and goes through entire house and one story.

If this line may have a possible future use, I would install it in a flush
box with a blank cover, tape the ends and leave it. If you really want to
totally abandon it, I would remove the other end of the cable from the
breaker box, and cut the cable outside of the box, making it impossible to
reconnect without splicing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ls02 wrote:
I am moving my basement workshop to a new location. Currently it has
50 A sub-panel that I want to remove. How to do this, namely what to
do with the wire that goes from main panel to the sub-panel? It is
burried inside walls and goes through entire house and one story.

You can just abandon it. Cut it off at the panel end so it cannot be hooked
up again leaving exposed live wires.

Does code allow just cutting wire on both ends and wrapping it with
electric tape?

Yes (actually, isn't a Code issue, specifically)

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Actually I would reuse it but in differenmt sense. I would like to use
it for ordinary 20 A wiring (lighting, receptacles) in the room that
Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote:
ls02 wrote:
[...]

I don't have the code reference, but I'm pretty sure that you are not
allowed to mix different wire gauges on a branch circuit, even if the
smallest is adequate for the overcurrent protection device.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ls02 wrote:

Actually I would reuse it but in differenmt sense. I would like to use
it for ordinary 20 A wiring (lighting, receptacles) in the room that
is now workshop. I would like it to connect in main panel to 20 A
breaker and on other end in the now workshop to a box and twist it
with 20 A wire. However can I put I believe AWG 8 wire which is really
thick into ordinary plastic or metal box and twist it with AWG 12 wire?

Surely; just use properly-sized wire nuts for the two conductors.

It may be the terminal for the breaker isn't large enough to accommodate
the larger wire directly; if so, use a pigtail.

The panel fusing is sized to protect the minimum wiring size on the
circuit and the minimum wiring size is predicated on the load; they're a
circular argument if you will. That there is a section of larger wire
that is over-sized for that minimum required is ok as long as nothing is
connected that is under the minimum. (I think another poster already
mentioned this possibility).

Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote:
ls02 wrote:
[...]

Then why didn't you say that to begin with? Incredible, you expect people
to read your tiny mind.

Removing back panel on Kenmore range Gord Home Repair 3 December 19th 20 06:35 AM
removing stuck bath panel Fred UK diy 9 April 15th 19 08:12 AM
Removing cast iron bath panel jen Home Repair 1 August 6th 06 03:10 PM
Removing circuit from Panel? James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 11 June 1st 06 04:33 AM
Removing panel from PVC-U door Peter Saffrey UK diy 6 March 22nd 05 03:34 PM