Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rust stain on tile

I got a new clothes washer yesterday (sweet!) and on taking the old
one out, found one of the leveling legs had rusted and left a very
noticeable stain on the tile. The tile is a matte finish, generally
cleans up pretty well. I've tried a couple of so-called rust remover
products (nothing specific to tile), which have helped, but there's
still a distinct round, rusty circle on my off-white tile (don't get
me started on keeping off-white tile clean in general in a utility
room, don't know what the previous owners were thinking). The new
washer has a different footprint from the old one, so the stain is
right out there to be seen.

Any advice?

Jo Ann
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo Ann wrote:
I got a new clothes washer yesterday (sweet!) and on taking the old
one out, found one of the leveling legs had rusted and left a very
noticeable stain on the tile. The tile is a matte finish, generally
cleans up pretty well. I've tried a couple of so-called rust remover
products (nothing specific to tile), which have helped, but there's
still a distinct round, rusty circle on my off-white tile (don't get
me started on keeping off-white tile clean in general in a utility
room, don't know what the previous owners were thinking). The new
washer has a different footprint from the old one, so the stain is
right out there to be seen.

Any advice?

Jo Ann

oxalic acid. found in barkeeper's friend in the cleaning aisle of the
grocery store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use Oxy-Clean to remove rust stains from my porcelain sink. I make a
very wet paste and let it sit for a few hours. Maybe yours is a
similar problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jo Ann" wrote in message
I got a new clothes washer yesterday (sweet!) and on taking the old
one out, found one of the leveling legs had rusted and left a very
noticeable stain on the tile. The tile is a matte finish, generally
cleans up pretty well. I've tried a couple of so-called rust remover
products (nothing specific to tile), which have helped, but there's
still a distinct round, rusty circle on my off-white tile (don't get
me started on keeping off-white tile clean in general in a utility
room, don't know what the previous owners were thinking). The new
washer has a different footprint from the old one, so the stain is
right out there to be seen.

Any advice?

Jo Ann

Have you tried the heavy duty Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on it? I swear those
things remove just about anything.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 1:09*pm, "Cheri" wrote:
"Jo Ann" wrote in message

I got a new clothes washer yesterday (sweet!) and on taking the old
one out, found one of the leveling legs had rusted and left a very
noticeable stain on the tile. *The tile is a matte finish, generally
cleans up pretty well. *I've tried a couple of so-called rust remover
products (nothing specific to tile), which have helped, but there's
still a distinct round, rusty circle on my off-white tile (don't get
me started on keeping off-white tile clean in general in a utility
room, don't know what the previous owners were thinking). *The new
washer has a different footprint from the old one, so the stain is
right out there to be seen.

Any advice?

Jo Ann

Have you tried the heavy duty Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on it? I swear those
things remove just about anything.

Cheri

I haven't tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (and I've got one right in
the pantry closet), Oxy-Clean, or Barkeeper's Friend yet! Thanks for
all the good suggestions -- I'll report back

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo Ann wrote in
:

On Jan 6, 1:09*pm, "Cheri" wrote:
"Jo Ann" wrote in message

[...]

I've heard lots of good things about that Magic Eraser. Await your
results.

I've had very good luck removing rust from porcelain and counter tops
with Barkeeper's Friend. I had never noticed it contained oxalic acid. My
exposure to oxalic acid was in products used to remove water stains from
wood floors.

With the Barkeeps, I found making a paste, applying with a toothbrush,
let it sit for 5min, brush, rinse and repeat to be a successful
procedure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 19:30:17 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Jo Ann wrote in
:

On Jan 6, 1:09*pm, "Cheri" wrote:
"Jo Ann" wrote in message

[...]

If the above examples won't work, look into Sulfamic Acid - a stronger
tile cleaner. Follow directions and even dilute it heavily at first.

RTM.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
"Jo Ann" wrote in message
I got a new clothes washer yesterday (sweet!) and on taking the old
one out, found one of the leveling legs had rusted and left a very
noticeable stain on the tile. The tile is a matte finish, generally
cleans up pretty well. I've tried a couple of so-called rust remover
products (nothing specific to tile), which have helped, but there's
still a distinct round, rusty circle on my off-white tile (don't get
me started on keeping off-white tile clean in general in a utility
room, don't know what the previous owners were thinking). The new
washer has a different footprint from the old one, so the stain is
right out there to be seen.

Any advice?

Jo Ann

Have you tried the heavy duty Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on it? I swear
those things remove just about anything.

Save your money and use automotive paint "rubbing compound" for the
heavy duty stuff and "polishing compound" for the lighter stuff.
Probably about 1/100 the cost of the magic erasers. Oh, but you have to
use your own rag or sponge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo Ann wrote:
I got a new clothes washer yesterday (sweet!) and on taking the old
one out, found one of the leveling legs had rusted and left a very
noticeable stain on the tile. The tile is a matte finish, generally
cleans up pretty well. I've tried a couple of so-called rust remover
products (nothing specific to tile), which have helped, but there's
still a distinct round, rusty circle on my off-white tile

Any acid will reduce the iron oxide to an easily removed salt. May take a
while depending on acid and strength.

But the tile isn't likely to be actually stained, just have rust physically
stuck to it. You should be able to remove it with a mild abrasive such as
scouring powder.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 6, 12:59*pm, Jo Ann wrote:
I got a new clothes washer yesterday (sweet!) and on taking the old
one out, found one of the leveling legs had rusted and left a very
noticeable stain on the tile. *The tile is a matte finish, generally
cleans up pretty well. *I've tried a couple of so-called rust remover
products (nothing specific to tile), which have helped, but there's
still a distinct round, rusty circle on my off-white tile (don't get
me started on keeping off-white tile clean in general in a utility
room, don't know what the previous owners were thinking). *The new
washer has a different footprint from the old one, so the stain is
right out there to be seen.

Any advice?

Jo Ann

Not directly pertinent to your question, but if your laundry room is a
basement or otherwise damp, I would get some anti-seize paste
(available at any auto parts store) and remove each leveling foot,
smear a little anti-sleaze on the threads, reinstall, relevel. I got
a used washer from a friend that was in excellent condition save that
it had been in the same place for years, when I went to level it for
my laundry room, I had to heat up the feet with a torch to remove
them, clean up on wire wheel, retap threaded holes, then finally
reinstall before I could level it.

If you don't keep appliances for ~20 years this is likely not an issue
for you, but I'm a cheap b*****d.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in
:

Jo Ann wrote:
I got a new clothes washer yesterday (sweet!) and on taking the old
one out, found one of the leveling legs had rusted and left a very
noticeable stain on the tile. The tile is a matte finish, generally
cleans up pretty well. I've tried a couple of so-called rust remover
products (nothing specific to tile), which have helped, but there's
still a distinct round, rusty circle on my off-white tile

Any acid will reduce the iron oxide to an easily removed salt. May
take a while depending on acid and strength.

But the tile isn't likely to be actually stained, just have rust
physically stuck to it. You should be able to remove it with a mild
abrasive such as scouring powder.

Oh you mean like Bar Keepers Friend® and/or Magic Eraser?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in
:

Jo Ann wrote:
I got a new clothes washer yesterday (sweet!) and on taking the old
one out, found one of the leveling legs had rusted and left a very
noticeable stain on the tile. The tile is a matte finish, generally
cleans up pretty well. I've tried a couple of so-called rust
remover products (nothing specific to tile), which have helped, but
there's still a distinct round, rusty circle on my off-white tile

Any acid will reduce the iron oxide to an easily removed salt. May
take a while depending on acid and strength.

But the tile isn't likely to be actually stained, just have rust
physically stuck to it. You should be able to remove it with a mild
abrasive such as scouring powder.

Oh you mean like Bar Keepers Friend® and/or Magic Eraser?

Yeah. Or Ajax, Bab-O, etc. which most people are likely to already have

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 9:43*am, N8N wrote:
On Jan 6, 12:59*pm, Jo Ann wrote:

[...]

I just wish I could have kept my last washer for 20 years! It was an
8-year-old Kenmore (built by Frigidaire, I think). The problem that
took it out of service? A FUSE. That was permanently attached to a
circuit board. That was permanently attached to a motor. The low
estimate I got on repairing it was $300, and I decided that was a
pretty good down payment on a new machine. Talk about an idiotic
design. From what I was told, this dawned on someone a couple years
later and the newer ones were built with a replaceable fuse. I have a
"Joe the appliance guy," but he couldn't figure out a way to rig it to
work without the fuse. I suppose someone who knew more about
electronics might have been able to repair the circuit board or
something, but then appliances started going on sale at the end of the
year, I was already fed up with dropping thirty bucks and two hours at
the laundromat every week, and the rest is history

Shoulda kept the one I bought 20 years ago...it's probably still
running.

Jo Ann
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 7, 3:40*pm, Jo Ann wrote:
On Jan 7, 9:43*am, N8N wrote:

On Jan 6, 12:59*pm, Jo Ann wrote:

[...]

Jo Ann- Hide quoted text -

I would probably have soldered fly leads to the circuit board and used
an automotive fuseholder sticky backed to whatever enclosed the
board. but that's just me.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 4:52*pm, N8N wrote:
On Jan 7, 3:40*pm, Jo Ann wrote:

On Jan 7, 9:43*am, N8N wrote:

On Jan 6, 12:59*pm, Jo Ann wrote:

[...]

Sure wish you'd been here

Jo Ann
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo Ann wrote:
On Jan 7, 4:52 pm, N8N wrote:
On Jan 7, 3:40 pm, Jo Ann wrote:

On Jan 7, 9:43 am, N8N wrote:

On Jan 6, 12:59 pm, Jo Ann wrote:

[...]

there's usually a good reason for a fuse to blow. chances are the board was
fried elsewhere too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 5:27*pm, "charlie" wrote:
Jo Ann wrote:
On Jan 7, 4:52 pm, N8N wrote:
On Jan 7, 3:40 pm, Jo Ann wrote:

On Jan 7, 9:43 am, N8N wrote:

On Jan 6, 12:59 pm, Jo Ann wrote:

[...]

All I know for sure is that both guys who looked at it for me -- both
of whom I trust pretty well -- said replacement of the whole unit was
the only option. It gave good service while it worked, but I can't
help thinking 8 years is not much of a track record. I looked on the
net, and there are quite a few reports of similar problems.

Jo Ann
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo Ann wrote:
On Jan 7, 9:43 am, N8N wrote:
On Jan 6, 12:59 pm, Jo Ann wrote:

[...]

It's an easy repair but something made the fuse blow. Bad connection,
power surge, a shorted component, etc. You have to determine what
caused a fuse to blow to start with. I would solder in a fuse holder.

TDD

Rust Stain on Asphalt Shingles [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 6th 08 07:46 AM
Tub Rust Like Stain John Home Repair 5 November 21st 07 01:33 PM
Ebonizing Rust Stain Tom Storey Woodturning 2 August 30th 06 09:13 PM
How do I remove rust stain from marble??? tomkanpa Home Repair 4 June 2nd 06 08:36 AM
Effective Rust Stain Remover? John Metalworking 9 May 10th 04 01:02 AM