Posted to alt.home.repair
Jo Ann Jo Ann is offline

Default Rust stain on tile

On Jan 7, 5:27*pm, "charlie" wrote:
Jo Ann wrote:
On Jan 7, 4:52 pm, N8N wrote:
On Jan 7, 3:40 pm, Jo Ann wrote:

On Jan 7, 9:43 am, N8N wrote:

On Jan 6, 12:59 pm, Jo Ann wrote:

I got a new clothes washer yesterday (sweet!) and on taking the
old one out, found one of the leveling legs had rusted and left a
very noticeable stain on the tile. The tile is a matte finish,
generally cleans up pretty well. I've tried a couple of so-called
rust remover products (nothing specific to tile), which have
helped, but there's still a distinct round, rusty circle on my
off-white tile (don't get me started on keeping off-white tile
clean in general in a utility room, don't know what the previous
owners were thinking). The new washer has a different footprint
from the old one, so the stain is right out there to be seen.

Any advice?

Jo Ann

Not directly pertinent to your question, but if your laundry room
is a basement or otherwise damp, I would get some anti-seize paste
(available at any auto parts store) and remove each leveling foot,
smear a little anti-sleaze on the threads, reinstall, relevel. I
got a used washer from a friend that was in excellent condition
save that it had been in the same place for years, when I went to
level it for my laundry room, I had to heat up the feet with a
torch to remove them, clean up on wire wheel, retap threaded
holes, then finally reinstall before I could level it.

If you don't keep appliances for ~20 years this is likely not an
issue for you, but I'm a cheap b*****d.

nate

I just wish I could have kept my last washer for 20 years! It was an
8-year-old Kenmore (built by Frigidaire, I think). The problem that
took it out of service? A FUSE. That was permanently attached to a
circuit board. That was permanently attached to a motor. The low
estimate I got on repairing it was $300, and I decided that was a
pretty good down payment on a new machine. Talk about an idiotic
design. From what I was told, this dawned on someone a couple years
later and the newer ones were built with a replaceable fuse. I have
a "Joe the appliance guy," but he couldn't figure out a way to rig
it to work without the fuse. I suppose someone who knew more about
electronics might have been able to repair the circuit board or
something, but then appliances started going on sale at the end of
the year, I was already fed up with dropping thirty bucks and two
hours at the laundromat every week, and the rest is history

Shoulda kept the one I bought 20 years ago...it's probably still
running.

Jo Ann- Hide quoted text -

I would probably have soldered fly leads to the circuit board and
used an automotive fuseholder sticky backed to whatever enclosed the
board. but that's just me.

nate

Sure wish you'd been here

Jo Ann

there's usually a good reason for a fuse to blow. chances are the board was
fried elsewhere too.

All I know for sure is that both guys who looked at it for me -- both
of whom I trust pretty well -- said replacement of the whole unit was
the only option. It gave good service while it worked, but I can't
help thinking 8 years is not much of a track record. I looked on the
net, and there are quite a few reports of similar problems.

Jo Ann