Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moen Tub Cartridge Help

Hi - I need to replace a Moen Tub cartridge. I removed it and took it
to the hardware store. I was first disappointed, then, pleased, and
now confused.

The fellow at the hardware store asked why I didn't phone Moen. He
said they didn't sell the replacement part. (disappointment).

He then reached under the counter and pulled out a box of cartridges
and tried to match it. We found one that was close. He said that
they didn't "sell" the part , so I could have it for free. (pleased).

When I got it home, the parts had some items that were shaped
differently but that appeared cosmetic. The one main difference is
that the new part did not have an o-ring at the back. I took the o-
ring off the old part but noticed that the groove on the new part is
way too thin for that o-ring.

Here's a picture of the part that I removed:
http://www.faucetdoctorsuperstore.co...22%20Small.jpg

Here's a picture of the replacement part:
https://www.plumbersstock.com/images...e/00247672.jpg

Notice the replacement part:
-has no o-ring
-it has round rubber pads (as opposed to square)
-has round orifices as opposed to diamond shaped on the rubber part
-has extra orifices at the front and back in the white plastic part

From what I can see on the internet, there is only one replacement
part (1222) and both of the above are designated as part 1222.

Has anybody had experience with these and knows if I need a different
part or some sort of kit to make this new one fit (specifically that o-
ring).

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's a picture of the part that I removed:http://www.faucetdoctorsuperstore.co...b/Moen%201222%...

Here's a picture of the replacement part:https://www.plumbersstock.com/images...e/00247672.jpg

Notice the replacement part:
-has no o-ring
-it has round rubber pads (as opposed to square)
-has round orifices as opposed to diamond shaped on the rubber part
-has extra orifices at the front and back in the white plastic part

From what I can see on the internet, there is only one replacement
part (1222) and both of the above are designated as part 1222.

Has anybody had experience with these and knows if I need a different
part or some sort of kit to make this new one fit (specifically that o-
ring).

Thanks

I haven’t seen one of those in a long time but if I remember correctly
it works without an o ring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

Hi - I need to replace a Moen Tub cartridge. I removed it and took it
to the hardware store. I was first disappointed, then, pleased, and
now confused.

The fellow at the hardware store asked why I didn't phone Moen. He
said they didn't sell the replacement part. (disappointment).

Maybe because Moen will give you a new one free, ya think?

http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty

http://www.faucetdoctorsuperstore.co...Moen%201222%20
Small.jpg

Here's a picture of the replacement part:
https://www.plumbersstock.com/images...e/00247672.jpg

Notice the replacement part:
-has no o-ring
-it has round rubber pads (as opposed to square)
-has round orifices as opposed to diamond shaped on the rubber part
-has extra orifices at the front and back in the white plastic part

From what I can see on the internet, there is only one replacement
part (1222) and both of the above are designated as part 1222.

Has anybody had experience with these and knows if I need a different
part or some sort of kit to make this new one fit (specifically that
o- ring).

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 10:47*pm, Red Green wrote:
" wrote :

Hi - I need to replace a Moen Tub cartridge. *I removed it and took it
to the hardware store. *I was first disappointed, then, pleased, and
now confused.

The fellow at the hardware store asked why I didn't phone Moen. *He
said they didn't sell the replacement part. (disappointment).

Maybe because Moen will give you a new one free, ya think?

* * * *http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty

nogo
from the warranty page:
"Proof of purchase (original sales receipt) from the original consumer
purchaser must accompany all warranty claims"
Posted to alt.home.repair

I haven’t seen one of those in a long time but if I remember correctly
it works without an o ring.

I'll give it a try. I guess the back of the enclosure is sealed so
maybe it doesn't matter.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Jan 2, 10:47*pm, Red Green wrote:
" wrote
innews:ee93faa1-dcb3-44f1-8

:

Hi - I need to replace a Moen Tub cartridge. *I removed it and took

to the hardware store. *I was first disappointed, then, pleased,
and now confused.

The fellow at the hardware store asked why I didn't phone Moen. *He
said they didn't sell the replacement part. (disappointment).

Maybe because Moen will give you a new one free, ya think?

* * * *
http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty

nogo
from the warranty page:
"Proof of purchase (original sales receipt) from the original consumer
purchaser must accompany all warranty claims"

Call 'em. See what happens. Worse thay will say is no. Heck, ShopVac sent
me a new motor once without me sending anything to them. Nope, it wasn't
registered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Call 'em. See what happens. Worse thay will say is no. Heck, ShopVac sent
me a new motor once without me sending anything to them. Nope, it wasn't
registered.

If this current part doesn't work, I'll give that a try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 12:25*am, " wrote:
Call 'em. See what happens. Worse thay will say is no. Heck, ShopVac sent
me a new motor once without me sending anything to them. Nope, it wasn't
registered.

If this current part doesn't work, I'll give that a try.

If the part does not work, give these guys a try.They're pretty good,
and they have drawings and schematics of every faucet.

http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/

From what I can tell, it looks lkie you got he right part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

Call 'em. See what happens. Worse thay will say is no. Heck, ShopVac
sent me a new motor once without me sending anything to them. Nope,
it wasn't registered.

If this current part doesn't work, I'll give that a try.

I'd keep the old part even if what you have works. Just in case it stops
working soon.

In fact, you do have a bad one. Get it replaced if you can. May need it for
the other side.