Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Moen Tub Cartridge Help

" wrote in
:

Hi - I need to replace a Moen Tub cartridge. I removed it and took it
to the hardware store. I was first disappointed, then, pleased, and
now confused.

The fellow at the hardware store asked why I didn't phone Moen. He
said they didn't sell the replacement part. (disappointment).

Maybe because Moen will give you a new one free, ya think?

http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty

He then reached under the counter and pulled out a box of cartridges
and tried to match it. We found one that was close. He said that
they didn't "sell" the part , so I could have it for free. (pleased).

When I got it home, the parts had some items that were shaped
differently but that appeared cosmetic. The one main difference is
that the new part did not have an o-ring at the back. I took the o-
ring off the old part but noticed that the groove on the new part is
way too thin for that o-ring.

Here's a picture of the part that I removed:
http://www.faucetdoctorsuperstore.co...Moen%201222%20
Small.jpg

Here's a picture of the replacement part:
https://www.plumbersstock.com/images...e/00247672.jpg

Notice the replacement part:
-has no o-ring
-it has round rubber pads (as opposed to square)
-has round orifices as opposed to diamond shaped on the rubber part
-has extra orifices at the front and back in the white plastic part

From what I can see on the internet, there is only one replacement
part (1222) and both of the above are designated as part 1222.

Has anybody had experience with these and knows if I need a different
part or some sort of kit to make this new one fit (specifically that
o- ring).

Thanks