Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mounting tile vertically outside

Steve B wrote:
I have three Sonotubed rounds that are about 24" high, 30" diameter. They
are exterior, and get snow and rain and direct sun. I would
like to cover this now bare concrete. Ideally, I'd like to tile them
using small tile, say 2" square, or smaller, or scraps, or odd
rectangulars, and use some Mexican and unique 4x4 and 6x6 tiles we
have.
What type of mortar/grout/adhesive should I use so that they do not
pop off with freeze thaw cycles?

The usual - thinset.

It freezes very seldom where I live but I see no reason why frequent
freezing/thawing should affect adherance of the tiles. Bricks are fastened
to lots of things, ever see a pile of bricks at the bottom of a wall after a
freeze?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I have three Sonotubed rounds that are about 24" high, 30" diameter. They
are exterior, and get snow and rain and direct sun. I would
like to cover this now bare concrete. Ideally, I'd like to tile them
using small tile, say 2" square, or smaller, or scraps, or odd
rectangulars, and use some Mexican and unique 4x4 and 6x6 tiles we
have.
What type of mortar/grout/adhesive should I use so that they do not
pop off with freeze thaw cycles?

The usual - thinset.

It freezes very seldom where I live but I see no reason why frequent
freezing/thawing should affect adherance of the tiles. Bricks are fastened
to lots of things, ever see a pile of bricks at the bottom of a wall after a
freeze?

Uh, unless this is that faux brick stuff attached to a vertical mudbed
with chicken wire in it, bricks aren't really attached to the wall- they
are attached to each other, with an air space behind. Only thing tying
the brick to the wall is those metal straps every few courses
vertically, and every few feet horizontally. OP's concern is valid. Yes,
I have seen outdoor decorative tile pop off when water gets behind it
and freezes. I'd be inclined to go with a mastic that stays flexible,
and then grout. Or better yet, stop by local pro masonry supply house,
and ask them what the real guys use for that application, and buy what
they recommend. They should know what works in that area.

--
aem sends...