Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default more electrical installation questions

I just realized while rewiring my upstairs that some of the existing,
original wiring apparently does not meet current NEC. An example: a
switch box in the wall contains a toggle switch, a 14/3, and a 14/2. 5
conductors, 2 more for the yoke, and 1 for the clamps = 8 "conductors."
A 2-3/4" switch box is only 14 in^3. If I repull and add a ground,
that only makes the situation worse. Even in the case of a receptacle
with two cables, it would seem that this is still not acceptable, even
without a ground.

I can only assume that this was not a violation when the house was
built, as all of the original wiring appears to have been done in a
proper, workmanlike manner.

What do I do? Just repull and leave as is, or do I need to break all
the boxes out where I have a situation like this and use a 3-1/2" deep
box with plaster ears and Madison hangers?

'nother question. I need to replace a box in my bathroom for various
reasons. Are there any limitations on what kind of box I can use in
there? What about hanging from the rafters of an unfinished attic?
(would like to have a lampholder up there and possibly a receptacle as
well, so I don't need to keep using my construction lights and an
extension cord when I need to be up there. Ironically, it is primarily
for electrical work that I need to be there...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel