Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hot water in shower, not bath

We have an over-the-bath shower with its own Bosch Powerstar AE125
water heater. Recently it has stopped producing hot water through the
bath tap, although there is still hot water if we switch it to shower
only. When we checked the heater, one of the three units in it is not
working . . . at least, it throws the breaker every time. The other
two seem to work just fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

" We have an over-the-bath shower with its own Bosch Powerstar AE125
water heater. Recently it has stopped producing hot water through the
bath tap, although there is still hot water if we switch it to shower
only. When we checked the heater, one of the three units in it is not
working . . . at least, it throws the breaker every time. The other
two seem to work just fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

*Throwing the breaker is not a good sign. Unless you are comfortable doing
it yourself and have some experience and tools I suggest that you call
someone to fix it. Here's a place to start:
http://www.boschho****er.com/Default.aspx?tabid=952

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 1:27*pm, wrote:
On Dec 30, 9:47*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

" We have an over-the-bath shower with its own Bosch Powerstar AE125

water heater. Recently it has stopped producing hot water through the
bath tap, although there is still hot water if we switch it to shower
only. When we checked the heater, one of the three units in it is not
working . . . at least, it throws the breaker every time. The other
two seem to work just fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

*Throwing the breaker is not a good sign. *Unless you are comfortable doing
it yourself and have some experience and tools I suggest that you call
someone to fix it. *Here's a place to start:http://www.boschho****er.com/Default.aspx?tabid=952

Agree with the above. * Also, is it at least partially heating the
water for the tub? * If so, then it sounds like one or more of what
appear to be multiple elements are defective and it just can't keep up
with the higher flow rate of the tub compared to the shower. * If it
doesn't heat the tub water at all, then that sounds really strange.

Strangely, it doesn't seem to heat the bathwater at all, which sounds
like a problem with the tap, no?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*The specs for this unit show different rates of rise with different flow
rates. A low flow shower head has less flow than a tub spigot. The
is a different circuit breaker for each heating element. The specs for the
USA call for six wires at 40 amps each plus one ground for a total of 120
amps at 208/240 volts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

pollyfan wrote:

water heater. Recently it has stopped producing hot water through
the bath tap, although there is still hot water if we switch it to
shower only. When we checked the heater, one of the three units in
it is not working . . . at least, it throws the breaker every
time. The other two seem to work just fine.

Strangely, it doesn't seem to heat the bathwater at all, which sounds
like a problem with the tap, no?

Even stranger is the fact that you think the tap is a problem when the water
heater trips a breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 10:36*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
pollyfan wrote:

water heater. Recently it has stopped producing hot water through
the bath tap, although there is still hot water if we switch it to
shower only. When we checked the heater, one of the three units in
it is not working . . . at least, it throws the breaker every
time. The other two seem to work just fine.

Strangely, it doesn't seem to heat the bathwater at all, which sounds
like a problem with the tap, no?

Whether the tap is a potential suspect depends on what kind of tap the
bath tub has. If it's seperate valves for the hot and cold, then no
it sure isn't the tap. If it's some kind of combined valve,
tempering, etc, then yes it's possible it's the valve. But, per
Ed's comments, clearly you have a problem with the water heater, since
it's kicking out the breaker. I would start there. Also, you can
verify if water from the water heater is coming into the tub by simply
shutting off the valve on the water heater when the bath is on hot and
running.

The only thing I can think of that might explain what you are seeing
is this. The heater has multiple elements. It uses only some of
them for low demand, eg the shower. When it goes to use all of them
for the tub and finds something unusual, eg the breaker is tripped and
no power to one element, maybe it shuts down completely.