Posted to alt.home.repair

Default flashing and rubber boot on 3.5" PVC vent pipe installation

I discovered that the plumbing roof vent leaks and will need to
replace the rubber boot which seals against the PVC pipe. Apparantly,
water is dripping down the PVC pipe onto the attic insulation. What
adhesive (if any) should be used in this installation application?
Will GE Silicone II stand up to UV rays? The house is in east TN,
long hot summers, short freezing winters.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Dec 24, 9:09 am, Phisherman wrote:
I discovered that the plumbing roof vent leaks and will need to
replace the rubber boot which seals against the PVC pipe. Apparantly,
water is dripping down the PVC pipe onto the attic insulation. What
adhesive (if any) should be used in this installation application?
Will GE Silicone II stand up to UV rays? The house is in east TN,
long hot summers, short freezing winters.

I'd just replace the whole flashing. What kind of roof? Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 15:33:23 -0800 (PST), tom
wrote:

On Dec 24, 9:09 am, Phisherman wrote:
I discovered that the plumbing roof vent leaks and will need to
replace the rubber boot which seals against the PVC pipe. Apparantly,
water is dripping down the PVC pipe onto the attic insulation. What
adhesive (if any) should be used in this installation application?
Will GE Silicone II stand up to UV rays? The house is in east TN,
long hot summers, short freezing winters.

I'd just replace the whole flashing. What kind of roof? Tom

Asphalt. The new piece I have has a rubber boot and metal flashing.
But, I wanted to know if an adhesive is needed where the rubber boot
touches the PVC vent pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Dec 24, 9:09 am, Phisherman wrote:
I discovered that the plumbing roof vent leaks and will need to
replace the rubber boot which seals against the PVC pipe. *Apparantly,
water is dripping down the PVC pipe onto the attic insulation. * What
adhesive (if any) should be used in this installation application?
Will GE Silicone II stand up to UV rays? *The house is in east TN,
long hot summers, short freezing winters.

I'd just replace the whole flashing. What kind of roof? Tom

Asphalt. *The new piece I have has a rubber boot and metal flashing.
But, I wanted to know if an adhesive is needed where the rubber boot
touches the PVC vent pipe.

No adhesive is required. When I had my last rooof put on the
installers reccomended I use lead or the roof would outlast the rubber
boots. Lead sheet is woven into the singles with the pipe passing
through a hole in it. Then a lead tube was slid over the pibe and
soldered to the lead sheet. The tube is cut a little longer than the
vent pipe and the lead is folded over and tucked inside the pipe For
two vents it cost me $100 and Iit will never have to be replaced
until I have to do a tearoff. With a little care by the roofers maybe
not even then.

Jimmie.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I second the thought. I did that on a previous house after discovering the
old boot leaking. On this newer house I just did before a problem came up as
a penetrative measure. If it is a roof that you can walk on easily, it is a
DIY project. You can find these lead shields at the Borg.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

wrote:

On Dec 24, 9:09 am, Phisherman wrote:
I discovered that the plumbing roof vent leaks and will need to
replace the rubber boot which seals against the PVC pipe. Apparantly,
water is dripping down the PVC pipe onto the attic insulation. What
adhesive (if any) should be used in this installation application?
Will GE Silicone II stand up to UV rays? The house is in east TN,
long hot summers, short freezing winters.

I'd just replace the whole flashing. What kind of roof? Tom

Asphalt. The new piece I have has a rubber boot and metal flashing.
But, I wanted to know if an adhesive is needed where the rubber boot
touches the PVC vent pipe.

No adhesive needed. If the pitch is walkable, a good roofer could
probably fix it in ten minutes. Tom

Roof vent flashing yaofeng Home Repair 3 October 9th 09 12:17 PM
PVC pipe roof boot Jack Home Repair 13 October 7th 09 09:53 PM
Sink Vent in Attic-"Cheat" Vent PeleSajan Home Repair 11 January 3rd 07 10:21 PM
?Replace rubber "boot" for garbage disposal? [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 3rd 06 03:10 PM
assembling seam on 3" x 6' sheet metal vent pipe John Keith Home Repair 1 November 12th 05 12:24 AM