Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default help!!! Advice needed ASAP Gambrel Roof Trusses

Hi all,
I have a major problem, first the concrete slab that was poured for my new
garage has gone to **** because of a bad batch of concrete. This is an
argument and moan for another day.
Here's my main beef that I need expert advice only, please I do not want
opinions . I need solid proof, so if you can send me to a site or show me an
engineered diagram it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
I took a contractor to a friends garage that measures 24'across x 26 long,
the garage has a Gambrel Roof Truss which allows a 15' wide x 26 long room
upstairs with an 8ft ceiling. I told the contractor that this is exactly
what I want, the only difference was I wanted my garage to be 26' x 26'
He viewed the garage and said that he seen enough and knew exactly what I
wanted.
Since then, the roof trusses are now out in my yard and the space allowed
for a upstairs room is only 12' x 26', The contractor told me the bigger you
go with the garage, the room upstairs has to be smaller. I could almost
believe this but the gambrel truss is not even the same design even though
it has 2x 6 material where as my friends had only 2x 4's . Here's the
question Can it be possibel to have a 15' room upstairs, 8' ft ceilings
top and bottom floors using a Gambrel (barn style) truss on a 26' wide
garge. I know this contractor is waltzing me around and I need proof that he
is lying.
Thanks in advance for all help
Danimal